Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Wild or Holdover?

From York, PA
Maurice or Fishidiot (or another expert),

Is this a wild trout? And how can I tell? Yellow color and what about the fins?

Caught last year at Muddy Creek. About 19" (next to a 1wt Superfine rod ..... so it might look bigger than it really is?)

Thanks,
1wt

Photobucket

Posted on: 2013/3/9 0:00

Re: Wild or Holdover?

From New Castle, PA
Ummm, maybe not even a holdover?

Good condition stockie.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 0:29

From Gamehendge
Really tough to tell form the pic. Maybe a little red on the adipose? Or just the refection from the rocks? Slight eye spot, amber fins, although the fins are a little rough, but again tough to tell. Either way a good fish. freshly stocked, holdie, or wild.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 0:45

From York, PA
Quote:

Phish_On wrote:
Either way a good fish. freshly stocked, holdie, or wild.

Thanks, Phish,

It doesn't really matter that much to me anyway. All trout are so much fun to me on a fly rod!

I seem to catch quite a few trout, and it seems to me that the "yellow" ones jump out of the water (sometimes 3' like a steelhead) and they just seem to be very healthy and much better fighters?

Spring like tomorrow ....... I have a feeling that 2013 will be a very good year for fly fishing?

Posted on: 2013/3/9 1:12

From Dallastown, PA
Definitely not wild.

My guess goes to state stocked brown, in the water a few months.

Caudal is nearly cleaned up.

The fish has pretty good weight still so I am guessing it was caught in late spring. (didn't hold over the winter or summer)

Guessing female based on white belly and mouth size too.

We did a holdover stocking in fall 2011 Probably no 19'ers though.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 8:30

From Lancaster Co.
Upside down stocker.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 9:36

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

McSneek wrote:
Upside down stocker.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 9:40

From NE OH
It looks stocked to me, but a nice catch nonetheless!

Posted on: 2013/3/9 10:48

From Clinton County, Pa.
It looks like a stocked fish to me but a real nice one.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 11:35

Freshly stocked fish by all appearances.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 12:19

From LV
Why is a photobucket window popping up when I click on the fish? Couldn't bring it up from PB.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 9:24

From Dallastown, PA
Chaz,

Right click on the image and touch "get image info" then copy the url and paste into browser address window. Then you can blow it up by holding down the CRTL button and rolling the wheel on your mouse (or pressing the +).

What I find disturbing about the picture (besides the upside down fish) is the use of a full large arbor reel on a 1 wt rod (cork and ring reel seat). Thats just out of wack.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 10:16

From Dallastown, PA
Here is a similar fish I got yesterday that I believe has survived over the summer and winter. Otherwise it must have been stocked last week. (unlikely)

Its about 17", Look at tail condition, and white halos around the black spots. Also looks like a mail pouch chew in its cheek. (so there is that....) And it has lost that fatty look. Just a solid fish.

Attach file:

jpg  MuddyH-O20130308a.jpg (186.71 KB)
27_513cb256e1060.jpg 1008X413 px

Posted on: 2013/3/10 11:50

Edited by Maurice on 2013/3/10 12:19:22

From Dallastown, PA
OK here is another holdover, survived the summer, winter and a raptor attack (talon marks both sides).

Likely this fish has been in the water almost a year. Took a beadhead after chowing down on stoneflies. Every time I would put this fish down with my stone I would wade downstream and he would rise again. So I went up and nymphed him. Just saw it drift to the right when my sighter went by and I lifted. Solid hook up!

I never would have caught it had I waited for the line to move. It was like that all day. I missed a bunch of soft takes. Anyway, here is the fish.

Attach file:

jpg  Muddy H-O 20130310acrop.jpg (170.59 KB)
27_513d2e3953e82.jpg 1425X462 px

jpg  Muddy H-O 20130310bcrop.jpg (191.56 KB)
27_513d2e4520ab3.jpg 1388X678 px

Posted on: 2013/3/10 21:12

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
OK here is another holdover, survived the summer, winter and a raptor attack (talon marks both sides).

Likely this fish has been in the water almost a year. Took a beadhead after chowing down on stoneflies. Every time I would put this fish down with my stone I would wade downstream and he would rise again. So I went up and nymphed him. Just saw it drift to the right when my sighter went by and I lifted. Solid hook up!

And by what criteria do you determine that this fish isn't wild? I've caught a lot of wild fish that looked much like that in color, fin condition, etc. It is also not a very large fish which could be taken as in indication of wildness.

Just curious to hear what you used to determine that this was a stocked fish. These threads always seem to end up producing a million different opinions on the criteria used to determine stocked vs. wild.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 6:35

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com