Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Why "The"?

From Philadelphia
Ok, seriously, as noted you can't say I'm fishing Pine or Letort. "the" is a specific article that serves to identify. It occupies three inches of column in my Webster's New World dictionary. That's sort of like a parr-marked brookie occupying a hundred yards of THE upper Delaware.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/9/15 20:00

I grew up along the Delaware, so that is actually "the river". When in college Elmira was called "The city." Couldn't quite say that with a straight face.

And actually, the Delaware everything is named after Thomas West, first governor of Virginia who sent out people to explore much of the mid Atlantic area. His title was Lord De La Warr, which became Delaware. The Lenape are not at all happy to be called Delaware after one of the fellows that introduced scorched earth policies against the native inhabitants and crushed early resistance to English colonization.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 22:47

From Eastern PA
The Letort

Letort Spring Run

Posted on: 2013/9/15 23:08

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
The Letort

Letort Spring Run

That's right. Similarly:

The Conodoguinet

Conodoguinet Creek

But with rivers, it's different:

The Delaware

The Delaware River

Posted on: 2013/9/15 23:25

From Eastern PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
The Letort

Letort Spring Run

That's right. Similarly:

The Conodoguinet

Conodoguinet Creek

But with rivers, it's different:

The Delaware

The Delaware River

pretty funny isn't it? asked my wife who travels a lot to describe where I fish in Carlisle. She stated "Letort". I asked her to make a complete statement and she said, "You fish Letort". Not THE Letort. I further asked what the actual name of the stream I fished was and she advised "Letort Spring Run".

She drives over Letort a lot and apparently reads the signs (and looks for me dicking around)

Posted on: 2013/9/15 23:47

From Philadelphia PA
Coughlin" Quote: Basically, it's Ta Da! Quote

You must be a Politician!

Posted on: 2013/9/16 7:52
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Pittsburgh
I kinda wonder why we have "THE" sasquatch - instead of just sasquatch? Is he like the only bigfoot that's around?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 13:15

From Ephrata, PA
Science has not proven otherwise, DFG!

Posted on: 2013/9/18 13:33

From LV
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I've been known to call it "The Pine", and everyone who has heard me state these legendary words knows exactly what stream I mean.

What do I know I'm just dumb, but if you said it to me, there'd be a ? on my forehead.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:50

From LV
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

Regarding "The Pennypack." People say that? That seems cringe-worthy.

FYI, anglers in SE PA fish the Pennypack, the Wissahickon, the Brandywine, the Perkiomen, and also fish Ridley, French, White Clay, Pickering and of course Valley Creek.

I fish Pennypack Creek, Wissahickon Creek, Brandywine Creek, Perkiomen Creek, and also fish Ridley Creek, French Creek, White Clay Creek, Pickering Creek ,and of course Valley Creek. None of them have the article 'the' in the name, and I'm from the SE.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:56

From LV
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Regarding "the" for rivers and not for creeks, I find that totally off base. I hear "the" for creeks all the time, though generally larger ones.

Actually it started in England (as in the River Why, the Test, The Tweed, The Clyde, and maybe once people start emigrating to NA it's probably been expanded.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:01

From Chester County
Quote:

Afish wrote:
FYI, anglers in SE PA fish the Pennypack, the Wissahickon, the Brandywine, the Perkiomen, and also fish Ridley, French, White Clay, Pickering and of course Valley Creek.

Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I fish Pennypack Creek, Wissahickon Creek, Brandywine Creek, Perkiomen Creek, and also fish Ridley Creek, French Creek, White Clay Creek, Pickering Creek ,and of course Valley Creek. None of them have the article 'the' in the name, and I'm from the SE.....

Actually it started in England (as in the River Why, the Test, The Tweed, The Clyde, and maybe once people start emigrating to NA it's probably been expanded.

[/quote]

Chaz, where I work, they must come over here by the boatload. Literally, every day I ask people, "where ya been fish'in?".....and their response is......"the Pennypack, the Wissy, the Brandywine and the Perk."

Posted on: 2013/9/19 6:08

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I've been known to call it "The Pine", and everyone who has heard me state these legendary words knows exactly what stream I mean.

What do I know I'm just dumb, but if you said it to me, there'd be a ? on my forehead.

It's just been an ongoing gag here. Csoult was the first one to pick up on it. When I was growing up, my dad always referred to Pine Creek (big Pine) as "The Pine". It's his PA dutchy roots. So, naturally, I caught onto it. About 2 years ago after the first QG Summit, I posted something about Pine and called it "The Pine". Csoult posted how he cracks up every time I call it "The Pine", others picked up on it, and well, the rest is PAFF history. I'm just yanking your chain Chaz.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 8:06

From LV
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

It's just been an ongoing gag here. Csoult was the first one to pick up on it. When I was growing up, my dad always referred to Pine Creek (big Pine) as "The Pine". It's his PA dutchy roots. So, naturally, I caught onto it. About 2 years ago after the first QG Summit, I posted something about Pine and called it "The Pine". Csoult posted how he cracks up every time I call it "The Pine", others picked up on it, and well, the rest is PAFF history. I'm just yanking your chain Chaz.

As Iwas yanking your's, I always hear it called Big Pine though, and in fact I call it that myself.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 9:23

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com