Which would you get?

mute

mute

Its time for a new rod. I currently have a 2wt and a 5/6wt.
So i want to get a 3/4 or 4/5 weight. Out of these rods, which would you get.

Gloomis GL2 7'6" 4WT 2PC
http://tinyurl.com/2t4wtu

Orvis Rocky Mountain 6"6' 4WT 2PC
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/whall1157/RM2.jpg

Redington Red Fly 7'6" 3/4WT 2PC
http://tinyurl.com/2wxr8p

Why did you choose those rods ? But I think if I had to choose it would the loomis. And if you like used rods try going to the sportinggentleman they got a nice selection of used rods you should give it a try .

I don't know. I think folks on the board,will give you suggestions.Might help if you listed the prices associated which each rod to determine the best deal. Paul

I agree, price of the rod would definately be a factor to help determine the best purchase. Along with that, what condition are the rods in? I am somewhat leary about buying used rods because in lots of cases, that could void a warranty. Beyond that, if you are able to cast any of these models at a local shop that might help you decide. When you select a rod, beyond the obvious price being a factor, I believe the feel of the rod when cast is most important.

Yea, theyre all online auctions. Theyre all new. Assuming they all went for $100 to $150.

Also where you fish
If creeping and crawling along the Green Springs or Letort is your thing the 6 1/2 is less obtrusive but the 7 1/2 might be more practical thigh deep in Penns or one of the larger rivers.Either way go with your heart,nothing sadder than a good rod going to waste.
I have a 9 foot 7wt. Sage that I was going to give to anyone that rose to my saddle up post-nobody did.Too bad-lol

Mute - not only should you decide based on where you ffish, you need to think about what flies (dry only, lead?) you want to use with the 3/4. Also what action do you like? There's a big difference between this series Orvis and the Loomis.

What do you have now (models) and what do you like/not like about them?

tl
les

Well my big rod is a crappy kmart bought package one a long time ago. Think it was $30. My good one is a Cabelas Clear Creek 2wt 5ft rod. I like it alot, i use that on the small water streams i fish. I usually use that for my trout/nymphing/dry flies. I love everything about it. I currently use my 5/6 wt kmart rod for throwing buggers in bigger rivers and such. This is why i want to get a in between rod, so i can use for nymphing and bigger flies.

Dear mute,

I have a Redington Red-Fly 7' 6" 4 piece 4 weight that I like a lot. I bought it last Fall at Cabela's for 1/2 price on closeout, it was $ 74.50.

I am not familiar with the other rods you mention.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Its the red fly series tim?

I hit the same sale at cabelos,and got the same rod.{2 pc 4/5 wt}
Redington red fly 2.Its my first rod of any kind by redington and I am very happy with it.
There is a company called"Fishing Edge" I have one of there ultra light 5' spinning rods and have put it to the test for trophy trout and bass fishing.I plan on buying a bigger fly rod for smallies from them since i had such a good experience with the spinning gear.
Check their website if you want.
i have heard good things about the other rods u mentioned as well.
tough choice ,good luck!

I'd get the little Orvis 4-wt. 6'6" rod. I have one, and it is a joy on small streams. It will punch casts where you want them, and it has backbone enough to play even larger fish without overly stressing them. It's worth every penny I paid for it.

Dear Mute,

I'm pretty sure the rod is a Red-Fly but it was last year's model.

The rod is blue in color and this year's version is a brown blank.

I really like the rod for a small stream multi-purpose rod. It fishes dries, nymphs, and small streamers equally well.

The only negative I have about the rod is the reel seat is an uplocking reel seat and it's kind of long. I sometimes have problems when casting with the fly line getting caught on the end of the reel seat but that's mostly due to laziness while casting.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I checked and the web adress is "fishedge@mtnhome.com"
I met the older couple that own the business,at a hunting/fishing expo.They simply became too old for the long touring year with the expo.They have been making rods forever and also do custom rods.

mute wrote:
Its time for a new rod. I currently have a 2wt and a 5/6wt.
So i want to get a 3/4 or 4/5 weight. Out of these rods, which would you get.

Gloomis GL2 7'6" 4WT 2PC
http://tinyurl.com/2t4wtu

Orvis Rocky Mountain 6"6' 4WT 2PC
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/whall1157/RM2.jpg

Redington Red Fly 7'6" 3/4WT 2PC
http://tinyurl.com/2wxr8p

Mute,

I'd venture to say all ao them are going to be painfully close to your two weight at that length. I'd go after a solid 4wt at 8' or 8' 4". I had an Orvis 1 wt. now own a Daimondback 3/4 7'6" and a Orvis SL of the same and a cortland 4wt 7' They all do the same job. My step up is an 8' 5wt Sage then a 9' 5wt Scott A2(my big water rod for buggers and weighted nymphs)

I think a 4 or a 5wt around 8' is your best bet. Stay away from the 3's they are too much like you 2.

Just my $.02

Maurice

I did the same thing last year! So many rods to choose from and so little time! LOL
I found that even in a small stream, a 9' is way better to mend a fly and much easier to cast......... but I already have a 8' 3wt Avid!! and a 9wt Premier, and a 5/6 wt 8'6" chepo!

For trout in small streams I prefer a Sage Fli 9' 5wt. In really tiny streams I'll take my 3wt St Croix Avid 8'er.

All the rods you mentioned are fine, IMHO, I think it's the thickness of the leader that really matters!

Even a crappy fly tied on a super thin leader will catch any trout that swims!! The secret is to get the fly/any fly in front of the trout and let it move with the current....... a 6X or 7X will do this!

I agree with Maurice. You will be best served with a longer rod, in a 4 or 5 wgt. I like Cabela's rods in your price range (under $150) or you can check out the TFO rods. Personally I have not fished one, but they seem to be highly regarded. Perhaps others who have them on the site can chime in.

Mute,

I'd have to second Maurice's advice. Go for an 8 to 8' 4 " 4 weight.

I have a 6.5 foot 2 weight, a 9 foot 3 weight, an 8 foot 4 weight, and 9 foot 5 and 6 weights. I feel like I could use a 7.5 foot 3 wieght to round out my collection.

Look at the 7.5 foot 3 weight or the 8.5 foot 4 weight here.

My 9 foot 5 weight is this rod in the 4 piece.

I would get a 9ft. 8wt and go for STEEL!!! or a 61/2 ft for a 4wt...and come up here.. :-D :-D

there are so many great choices out there it is always hard to pick one --- with that being said - I actually purchased 2 new rods this spring/summer.

a 7'6" 4wt GLoomis GL2 and a Sage Lauch 8'6" 5wt.
I enjoy both and I consider both an excellent choice for one with limited funds. My Loomis was bought NIB on e-bay for $100 - which was somewhat of a surprise I won at the time. The Sage was a fathers day gift.

Both rods are great - although they overlap performance wise in most cases - the length sets them apart for me. The Loomis is more stiff (in my hands) than my Sage. I use the 4 wt. on smaller moutain streams and other streams I fish - and the bigger 5wt on some of the larger streams (Penns, Spring, Fishing)

All 3 you mention would probably be worthwhile - I'd go with the Loomis

Back