Which month?

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

If you had to choose one single month out of the year to fish for trout, which month would you choose, and why? I would go with June because it's warm, most water levels aren't at that early season high, and most casual fishermen have given up for the season already.

May, for the hatches.

I agree with Jackm, May is my favorite month to fish. March Browns, Sulphers. Tons of caddis. Daytime and evening hatches.

gencon

September. Terrestrials are my favorite, competition is minimal, trout are putting on some beautiful colors.
Mays hatches are a close second though.

Fall is my favorite time of year to fish, golf, and be outside. I try to save enough days off each year to take every Monday in September and October off.

That said, I'll still say May...better flows on average than the Fall usually.

October. I love all the colors, in the trees and the fish. The leaves on the water are a pita, but you gotta take the good with the bad. Plus I really like the crisp feeling in the air.

I like fishing the hatches in may, however I'm gonna have to go with march. The flows on my favorite streams are perfect around st. Pattys day (depending on what kind of winter we've had).

May for the Spring !

Gimme any month other than August and that's my favorite.

Hard to nail it down to one.

I like the almost all of months and the different things they have to offer.

Peace and solitude in the winter, opening days and stockings in the spring, active fish early summer, and the gorgeous colors of fall.

We are very blessed here in PA.

Late April/May is my favorite time to fish

May without a doubt. Great time of the year, new, fresh growth everywhere you look, an awakening. Hatches of all kind, and fish feeding like no other time of the year.
John

Being in SEPA, I have come to love summer mornings for Tricos, caddis, and ants. Yes, yes, I watch water temps and do not stress out the fish. Unfortunately, we do not experience the prolific spring hatches other parts of the state do. Though I am planning May and early June trips to central and NC this year to see for myself. I have done late June a few times, but it kind of feels like the party is already over.

lv2nymph wrote:
October. I love all the colors, in the trees and the fish. The leaves on the water are a pita, but you gotta take the good with the bad. Plus I really like the crisp feeling in the air.

Dear wildtrout,

lv2nymph sums up my thoughts quite well.

I enjoy May and I really enjoy catching a good Hendrickson hatch, but with the way hatches have been off time so consistently over recent years I find that I enjoy the Fall much better.

You still have chances to fish caddis and BWO's but nothing snaps you out of a frosty morning funk like a good fish whacking a streamer because he knows his time to eat well is growing short.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Ya most def may, sick hatches, and beer actually tastes refreshing while fishing

September.

May, for the opportunity to catch fish and generally for decent stream flow conditions. However, for the best overall experience when it comes to the pure beauty of the environment and the fish that we pursue under low fishing pressure conditions has probably placed October ahead of the month of May for me personally.

I like May the best although lately it seems to be too warm on average and stream levels are lower than normal.
Going to try Harman's in April (for the first time) so I hope it's a good month.

May because it'sthe time of year for the best hatches, October because that's the month I've caught the most trout.

May, on the brookie streams I fish in SE PA May usually has water levels and temps that cause fish to spread out. The rest of the year (except spawning time) the brookies mostly hold only in the biggest pools and you can't catch as many.

I like March and June for browns, but June has perfect weather!

Back