Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Where do you draw the line?

From Pittsburgh, Pa
I know that this time of the season is when the local trout streams are just pounded with anglers. So I know that you are just bound to see people, but why do some have to be so inconsiderate? Yesterday on my way home from work I pulled into a DHALO section. No one was around. I started fishing and literally no less than 5 minutes another angler comes down and is casting over top of my line. So I moved on.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 7:33

Re: Where do you draw the line?

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
In such a situation, my goal is to inform the angler that his actions are inconsiderate, without being overly confrontational about it. Not an easy dance. But there is a chance he just doesn't know any better, and needs "taught". But that doesn't work if you immediately take the confrontation route.

There's also the distinct possibility that he does know better, but is just an a-hole.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 7:58

When I was involved in a similar situation this spring (though a number on here thought I overreacted), I told the guy, "I wouldn't do that to you," and I left.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:11

From Parkesburg
I usually just leave in similar situations or move... I do say something to let the person know there is plenty of other water and he doesn't need to hover over me like a vulture. I have had it happen on the Little Lehigh where someone will work there way literally directly across the stream from me and start casting to the same fish I am fishing for... I have to shake my head at that. I saw a T-Shirt the other day... I cant remember where but it read "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOU ARE FISHING TOO CLOSE."

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:15

From West Chester PA
Not an over-reaction at all. Seems like a pretty clear statement. I always try the "educate the dude" route". If that does not work, no sense having a confrontation. I'll move on. A-holes tend to remain as such.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:17

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
That t-shirt is neon yellow and will scare all the fish. It would be a giant billboard on you or I. Lol

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:18

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Parkesburg
In any matter I will buy the shirt if somebody can provide a link to where I saw it... should have inquired when I actually saw it!

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:20

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
FB

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:21

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Valley Forge
It's strange that people do this in my opinion, I suppose that they could not know. I typically just move, in part because I want a little room and also because I feel like they constantly stare at you. Hah maybe just me idk.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:43

From Monessen, PA
Say something like: "Excuse me, Sir, if you wanted this hole/run/riffle, you could have asked and I would have given it to you. I don't find it fun to fish on top of one another. There is a lot of water to fish, so I guess one of us should move along." Then wait for his/her suggestion.

Of course, if they already ruined the hole/run/riffle for you, don't wait for his/her suggestion.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:52

From Archbald
I'd throw a huge rock in the water if he didn't wok it out nicely and just move to another spot. Even when I spin fished, I was always considerate of fellow anglers.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 11:50

From South Central PA
Fairly sure the types that do this get bigger kicks seeing it complained about on a forum.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 12:31

From Philadelphia PA
I'm always asking if its ok to fish near someone or across from them when I feel that I may be encroaching. I'm even a little hesitant when they say it's ok.

Many a times the Serenity Prayer has come in handy....God grant me the serenity to except the things I cannot change...which includes a..holes and idiots.

Now the real question is: If you were friends with the person, would it make a difference?

Posted on: 2013/4/16 12:33

Edited by PennypackFlyer on 2013/4/16 12:49:33
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

From Pittsburgh, Pa
To a degree I wish that there were more FFO areas, but at the same time I wouldn't want the spin casters who do the right thing to be punished. It just seems that most of the fly fishers that I run into are friendly and are more interested in conservation of the waters than others. It just seems like fly fisherman would rather the fish be there for another day.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 12:33

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

Rickb326 wrote:
So I know that you are just bound to see people, but why do some have to be so inconsiderate?

Because they're people??? Why does this surprise you & others?

Posted on: 2013/4/16 12:34

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
91 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com