Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: what the heck man

You haven't said what kind of fly you are using, what size, length of leader or tippet size.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 7:11

From Quakertown, pa
Tried a light cahill and a Sulphur both on 18 inches of 6x tippet on a 9ft 5x leader

Posted on: 2013/5/17 9:10

From Quakertown, pa
Both flies a size 14

Posted on: 2013/5/17 9:11

From Luzerne County, PA
One thing I noticed this weekend that was killing my drift was that the end of my fly line was sinking, that will kill your drift, I applied some floatant to the fly line and that made a world of difference.

Posted on: 2013/5/20 22:20

Quote:

daman1277 wrote:
Both flies a size 14

The size 14 sulphurs are over for the year.

Try a size 16 sulphur dun when you see the sulphurs hatching.

Then near dusk, you will often see clouds of the spinners hovering over the water and you can see their orange egg sacs. They come down to the water to lay their eggs. Then switch to a size 16 sulphur spinner to finish out the evening.

The leader and tippet sound fine.

If you've been fishing a very slow smooth stretch of water, find a place where the water is moving a little faster and with a little bit of a broken surface. The trout will not be as finicky there.

Posted on: 2013/5/20 22:35

From Pgh
So to recap:
No drag on the float.
Fish in faster-moving water.
Lengthen your tippet.
Put floatant on your fly
Put floatant on your leader.
Try going a size bigger than what’s hatching.
Cripple your fly with nippers.
If you see fish lips, they’re on duns.
If you see tails or see em porpoising, try emergers.
Time your cast to the fish you’re working.
Try super-long drifts.
Cast accurately.
Keep the tip of your fly line from sinking.
Fish size 16 sulphurs now, not 14.
Switch to a spinner at evening.
Now go get ‘em!

(Seriously, all good advice. Just keep trying. And playing around with tackle, presentation and locations. You'll "get it" as they say.)

Posted on: 2013/5/21 12:34

From Dauphin PA
If you want help, let me know. I'll meet ya at the Tully or LL sometime.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 12:39

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
1. Dry fly fishing is easier, not harder, than nymphing.

2. I too probably fish dries more than underneath, especially at this time of year. Not only because it's more fun, but because I think I catch more that way! Of course, this is partially because I pick waters and times where I think dries will be successful.

I would echo the comment to make sure you're fishing in a little bit of current. Slow, flat water is difficult for anyone. They just have too long to inspect it and even the tiniest thing wrong will screw you. Rises can be harder to see in broken water as the "ring" isn't there, but there's usually rises there too. Just beaks sticking up. Watch close.

I would also echo that it is likely drag that's your culprit. The easiest slack line cast to make is to pretend the water surface is about 4 feet higher than it is. Straighten the leader out there, and let it bounce back and fall to the water. You do NOT want a straightened leader when it hits the water. The fly needs to float the same as the bubbles.

And also, profile matters. Are they taking duns on top? Spinners in the film? Emergers just underneath? Difference between "sulpher" and "cahill" pattern? Doesn't matter much. But emerger vs. dun vs. spinner? That matters. As does size.

And many times on duns, when you see the naturals, they're fidgeting around and such. Sometimes they want some movement to it. Pick high floatin dry and douse it with a gel type floatant. Cast beyond and up from fish. Pick rod straight up and jiggle/drag the fly into the lane. Let stop and drift naturally just inches upstream of feeding fish. Bang.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 13:04

From Media, PA
Unless the conditions are just right (I like a light drizzle or mist and cool) I almost always fish a nymph under a dry during a Sulpher hatch. I'm sorry, but I really enjoy watching the dry go under and catching fish. You still need a good drift and skills in most cases, but it is pretty shocking how many trout will take the sunken fly. I'd say about 8 or 10 to one in my experience. Obviously there are variations with conditions. I still use the same fly pattern Rick Myers came up with many years ago on Young Woman's Creek, and it has been effective even in heavily fished areas of Spring, the Tully, Little Lehigh, etc.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 17:04

From Dauphin PA
Reading this thread would make me think that fly fishing is the hardest thing in the world. You guys are making it more complicated than it is. Instead of reading 25 different takes on how to do it, go get first hand help from someone with experience. It could be leader set up, casting technique, reading the lie / current or a host of other things. Casting on the lawn won't fix it. You have the access to some very experienced anglers on this forum. Take advantage of those guys by getting out there for some hands on help. I didn't have any friends or family members to teach me. Without Bob Clouser being a hell of a guy, I'd still be tossing corn at chubs.

To touch on your dilemma of fly size....I'll bet that a fly with the correct profile between a #12 & #18 would catch those fish if presented with a fly first / drag free drift. I'll also put money on it that color isn't as much of a factor as you think.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 18:16

Quote:

Van_Cleaver wrote:
I still use the same fly pattern Rick Myers came up with many years ago on Young Woman's Creek, and it has been effective even in heavily fished areas of Spring, the Tully, Little Lehigh, etc.

What pattern is that?

Posted on: 2013/5/21 22:09

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com