What I've learned...

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I've listed a few things I’ve learned about FF from experience to get the thread started. They are not listed in any particular order. I’m sure many can add a bunch more.

-Often, the difference between a tough day fishing and a great day fishing is a split shot. (or a weighted nymph).

-Good presentation trumps fly pattern selection nearly every time.

-When fish are rising during a hatch, taking some time to capture and examine the insects that are hatching usually pays off, rather than “winging” it.

-Dry fly fishing is the most fun (for me anyway), but nymphs bring home most of the bacon, most of the time.

-Most often, moving and methodically fishing different sections of the stream catches more fish than pounding one spot and changing flies.

-Never get locked into any one thing. Learn different ways to fish, and experiment with different presentations, rigs, flies, etc., until you find something that works.

-There is no magic fly or method. Most times, many fly patterns and methods of fishing will take fish on a given day. It’s up to you to find which ones work.

-Contrary to what many tell their wives, specialized or expensive equipment is not essential to catch trout. I started fishing with THE fly rod, a 9’ 5wt. It wasn’t until hundreds of fish and many years later, that I found out that it was impossible to cast or catch trout in a small stream with such an outfit.

Good stuff. A couple I've learned.

Take the time to tie a good knot. And if you think you scraped the leader on an abrasive surface you probably had. Check and retie.

Before plunging into the stream take the time to access your approach.

Keep a handwarmer inside a breast pocket to help limber up the fingers on a cold day.

Don't forget the reading glasses for tying those knots.

With a good set of winter clothes you can comfortably fish in weather others don't. Leaving the stream all to yourself.

I think your #4 & 5 suggestions are two biggies. They come down to being versatile, and IMO that is what seperates the the guys who truly catch a lot fish from everyone else.

The only thing I would add would be this: Don't be frugal and lazy with your terminal tackle. If you think you need a longer/lighter tippet, add one. If your leader needs replaced, replace it. Adjust your shot and indicator often. Don't be afraid to lose flies and terminal tackle. Good fisherman know that there is more to it than using the same fly and rigging everytime you go out. What works in January is often is useless in June, etc. etc.

BTW, being able to tie good, strong knots quickly really goes a long way towards being willing to do the things I've just mentioned.

Kev

- A fly lines life can be prolonged with good care. Kept out of the vehicle on cold winter and hot summer days and regular clean and applying fly line dressing.

- Polarized glasses are a godsend.

afish,
Your experience is much the same as mine. I tell new FFers that probably the most important quality in being successful (and enjoying the sport) is a keen sense of observation.

There are more fish in a stretch of fast pocket water than one would imagine. Don't just fish the pools.

No matter how many craps you take per day, or whatever your schedule may be, be sure to pack TP if you are going to be fishing all day.

In my short stint as a fly fisherman (going on 3 years) I have learned this. Most general fisherman are dumb, and inconsiderate, especially in groups. Either fish where you're not going to be bothered, or bring some friends to enjoy your day with!!

also... practice does NOT make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect. If you're new, find a mentor. Someone who has gone through it and can teach you. It will illeviate many troubled days on the water with their words of wisdom.

Don't get angry, this is mostly in jest, but they are things I think I have learned as a result of fly fishing.

1-- I curse more during a "fun day" of fishing than I do during the most hectic days at work. Yet, given the choice, I would rather be fishing.

2-- One trout caught on a dry fly is equal to at least 4 on a nymph.

3-- Wild trout are dumb, too.

4-- Many people who pride themselves on what they deem "conservation work" really couldn't care less about the environment but are just trying to improve their own day on the water.

5-- Most fly anglers are very trusting of others once they know they are fellow fly anglers, so much so that they are willing to meet someone in person for the first time just moments before getting in a vehicle with them for many hours and perhaps even sharing a cabin or room in a far away destination.

6-- The impression someone makes on a message board is often very different than the one they make in person-- then again, sometimes in-person, they are even worse.

7-- 5-7 inch brook trout can provide a thrilling experience when you first discover them, but after a half-dozen or so trips, they get kind of boring.

8-- When Maurice gets intoxicated, try not to engage him in a discussion related to point 4 above.

9-- When letting out line with false casts, at the moment you wonder whether a few more feet are needed, a tree branch will reach out from behind you and grab hold of your fly.

10-- If you lose two flies to a low-hanging tree branch, it always pays dividends to wade over and retrieve them, particularly if you search the nearby branches for flies left behind by other anglers who aren't quite as cheap as you are.

11-- If you aren't sure whether you've "had any bites" yet today, you haven't.

12-- If you really want to make another angler mad when they ask you specifically HOW MANY you have caught, answer by saying: "First you tell me how many YOU caught," then add 2 or 3 to the total when you reciprocate.

13-- There is no way to keep from feeling responsible for a bad day on the water when you take someone else to your favorite stream for the first time.

14-- You always have a better day at the Yough, and there are way more risers, when you have to fish it alone.

15-- Fly fishing must be inherently interesting because, aside from my marriage, it is the only endeavor I've stuck with for more than 6 years.

JackM wrote:
4-- Many people who pride themselves on what they deem "conservation work" really couldn't care less about the environment but are just trying to improve their own day on the water.

I'm not angry because I know you think you are channeling your inner Oscar Wilde, but... I have worked on streams I've never fished and given money to organizations that work on streams I've never fished. I don't think I am alone in this either. I just try to help with work that I think is helpful or well executed.

I do care about the environment, and made a number of changes in my lifestyle over the years to reflect that (obviously my accident interfered with that)

1. Where and when are most important. Next comes presentation. Fly selection pails in comparison to any of the above factors.

2. Be willing to explore and go away from where everyone else is going. Fishermen, especially fly fishermen, are slaves to special regulations areas, and famous spots when better fishing can often be found elsewhere.

3. Emergers and nymphs near the surface take more rising fish than dry flies.

4. Walk. Cover as much water as possible, don't be afraid to leave fish though you could possibly get 2 or 3 more there. Get away from access points.

5. A large percentage of the streams on the "natural reproduction" list are every bit as good as the ones on the Class A list.

6. When you screw up, like catch a tree, or wind up with a tangled mess, change your casting angle and approach. You want to assume it was a one time screw up, but it wasn't.

7. If you're having a tough day, relax, take a deep breath, look around, and ask yourself if you'd rather be doing something else. The answer is always no. Bad days are still fun, and good days wouldn't be nearly as fun without them.

I've heard it said we all have an inner Oscar Wilde, but we just suppress it-- not that there is anything wrong with that. But seriously, I only said "many," not "most," and certainly not "all."

#1 Thing I learned in ten years of fly fishing. After you've read all the books, hobnobbed with experts, paid for casting coaches, practiced knots, tallied catches, photographed C&R trophies, travelled to blue ribbon waters, you need to remember to do one thing... HAVE FUN.

I am with you on the TP suggestion. I have sacrificed many socks after being caught short-handed on the streams, in the woods, on the jetties, etc. One cold foot on a winter day is not a nice experience!

...that I don't know that much, which is just enough to catch a fish or two.

#1 Imo the most inportant thing is, to learn to read the water. Sometimes you can look at a section of water and think" man theirs got to be fish in there" and most of the time your right!

2 Presentation, If you are casting to a fish and have made some good cast to him and nothing, try and move a couple of steps either way just to get a another angle at him, it works!

Another thing I see people standing in one hole for a long time, just because there's a couple of fish there. They keep changing flies and nothing, keep moving, there's plenty of fish in the stream.

And like Pad said have FUN!

PaulG

Couple of things I forgot!

Don't do a lot of false casting, no need for it!

Second thing... Always fish the bubbles!

PaulG

Your lists are great! Here's the hardest lesson I've learned:

Just because you like to fly fish, doesn't mean that your son will like it. Maybe someday?

The biggest thing I think I've learned in over 25 years of flyfishing is to never think that I know it all. There is always something new to learn about this sport. It really pays to keep an open mind

Its tough to add to whats already listed. I do know that my least favorite thing I've learned about flyfishing is how 6 hrs on the stream goes by like it was 2 hrs.

Jack, I've wrestled with #4 a couple years ago and though I will gladly do conservation work, I've realized I'm not quite the conservationist I thought I was. I'm a trout bum. It was learned when I met "true" conservationists and it was a bit humbling.
I imagine #9 is where a large portion of the cuss words come from?
Good thread and posts.

Great thread.

1. "Easy trout are in difficult places. Difficult trout are in easy places."

2. No matter what's happening, cast your fly with confidence. Or, at least, cast the next fly with confidence. Most definitely, the one after that.

3. If you find yourself in a situation where there's a big trout actively feeding, your chances of snagging a tree limb on the first cast to that trout is directly proportional to its size.

4. Do not pick up socks found lying in the bushes near trout streams.

Back