HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: What Constitutes A Catch

Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
JackM posted 4 duplicate mistakes.

I'll take your word for it, since I lost track.

Being more word oriented than numbers oriented, I do know how to spell the word "Constitutes" though.

Do I get points for that? How MANY points?

Posted on: 2006/12/5 10:45

From Southeast PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote: Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
JackM posted 4 duplicate mistakes.

I'll take your word for it, since I lost track.

Being more word oriented than numbers oriented, I do know how to spell the word "Constitutes" though.

Do I get points for that? How MANY points?

ELEVEN
You get 11 Points! Because that's how many letters are in the correct spelling. How did I miscount the correct number of letters!

(P.S. I feel the need to explain the JackM post. I wasn't picking on Jack. It was just an attempt at being clever. For those who didn't catch it, there was apparently a web site error that duplicated 4 of his posts in a row. But it has been cleaned up now.)

Posted on: 2006/12/5 11:15

Edited by Wulff-Man on 2006/12/5 11:46:27
Edited by Wulff-Man on 2006/12/5 11:48:28
Edited by Wulff-Man on 2006/12/5 11:52:48

From Monessen, PA
I'm not sure what happened. I may have dribbled coffee on the keyboard and while wiping it off, accidentally struck the "Enter" key 3 times more while the first "submit" was still in transit. Anyhow, one of the moderators must have helped me out by deleting the others.

Posted on: 2006/12/5 11:23

Re: What Constitues A Catch

From chester ct
The Native Americans had a hunting method of 'counting coup', as opposed to actually doing in the animal. I count a fish as 'caught' once I touch it or the hook (not just the leader).

Now for the counting controversy - I do it not as a competition, but because you can't manage what is not measured. Having been trained as an engineer, and working as a manager of scientists (who think differently than engineers), I'm quite aware of how one's memory differ from the facts.

For decades now, I have been tape recording my observations right on the stream, including sometimes the spish splash of the trouts and the buzz of a running reel. This not only records the data (time of when I see a given bug and where and when the trouts are active), but greatly helps my recall a few years later when I'm planning a trip in the same area.

When I first started taping, I was startled how my recollection afterwards was so different than the recorded reality. I would think that a given fly was the ticket for the session, and later replays would show that another fly and situation was actually more productive. My memory is almost photographic, and that and a MIT degree weren't sufficient for me to separate fact from fiction.

There are other benefits that I've derived from the tapes, besides the pleasure of reliving the moments of success (and failure too). One example is how I learned, after picking up the pattern on a number of tapes, that dragonflies can be a great help in finding exactly which part of a pool is concentrating midges, Tricos and olives. Another example was learning the lesson of Yellow Sallies.

I can ffish anytime I want now, but I no longer do the dawn-to-dusk killer marathons. Just don't want to peak too soon

So I like to decide ahead of time, according to expected hatches, water temps and levels, which direction I head off in a given day, with some expectations about likely success. And I want to spend the several hours reasonably productively, rather than just pounding water.

tl
les

Posted on: 2006/12/5 14:19

Once you land the first fish of the day... the rest of the day you enjoy and be thankful you are not at work.

Our rule has always been touching the leader with your hand while the fish is on.

Posted on: 2006/12/6 18:00

Quote:
Who was that guy a year or two back who bragged about catching like 1000 fish a year? Now that's dumb.

Some points: many streams in Pa contain trout populations in excess of 1000 trout per mile. Of those 1000, about 60% are of a catchable size or >3". If a good angler can catch say 5% of whats in there, thats 30 trout per trip. Thats just one stream over one mile. If you fish multiple streams or multiple miles, your numbers grow in a hurry. If you make just 34 trips in a year, thats over a thousand. Many anglers - like myself - make 50,75 even a hundred a trips a year so that numbers can really pile up.

BTW, wild trout are dumb, not the anglers.

Mark

Posted on: 2006/12/7 7:33

Ryan, that would have been me, though I wasn't bragging, just keep track of the number for curiosity sake. But it is easy to catch 1000 trout in a year, especially if you have a couple of 100 fish days thrown in there. More recently I've taken on trying to find the biggest brookies in the streams I fish rather than raw numbers, so there are many places on streams that I just skip over because I know they don't hold large trout.
Bragging no, but wanting to know how many I caught because I knew I always caught a lot of trout was my goal.
I don't think I've since caught 1000 trout in a year in part because I haven't been fishing as much more recently, but now that you mention it, my goal for this year is to count the number of legal or larger brookies I catch and where I catch them. Sorry I won't tell.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 8:44

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Counting Coup, was not a hunting act. It was what a warrior did and still does at times to touch an enemy and not kill him during battle. I am native american, and you learn this at an early age.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 9:51

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Stone_fly,
I don't think it was you, and maybe 1000 was not the number. He sparked some discussions because his number was so large that it was obscene. When I do the math 1000 over the course of a season is not that un-doable if you go a few times a week.

NJ angler.
30 trout per trip? Is there anyone else out there that has fish envy or do I just suck that bad.
I have covered some miles and have few or no fish to show for it. The math is not always as neat as you would like.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 13:00

From Southeast PA
Sandfly, what's the purpose? Is it like reconnaissance? (Would you have to kill me if you told me?)

Posted on: 2006/12/7 13:01

Quote:

sandfly wrote:
Counting Coup, was not a hunting act. It was what a warrior did and still does at times to touch an enemy and not kill him during battle. I am native american, and you learn this at an early age.

Is it true that this was always followed by the time-honored, traditional cry of: "NYEH NYEH NYEH NYEH NYEH" ?

Posted on: 2006/12/7 13:11

From Southeast PA
Quote:

ryanh wrote:
Stone_fly,
I don't think it was you, and maybe 1000 was not the number. He sparked some discussions because his number was so large that it was obscene. When I do the math 1000 over the course of a season is not that un-doable if you go a few times a week.

NJ angler.
30 trout per trip? Is there anyone else out there that has fish envy or do I just suck that bad.
I have covered some miles and have few or no fish to show for it. The math is not always as neat as you would like.

It was probably one of the Nale brothers. As I recall they claim to average 100 to 200 every outing. That would make it more like over 10,000 per year.

I marvel at this, but I don't envy it.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 13:12

From Southeast PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

sandfly wrote:

Is it true that this was always followed by the time-honored, traditional cry of: "NYEH NYEH NYEH NYEH NYEH" ?

Now THAT'S funny! Thanks for the good laugh, Troutbert!

Posted on: 2006/12/7 13:17

From Erie, PA.
Back on topic, I count it as a catch when I remove the hook.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 14:31

From LV
Ryan,
It has more to do with where you fish then it does anything else. For instance I've heard a lot of folks say the such and such a stream isn't as good as it used to be. If it is a stream that I know I just kinda smile and ask why. Certainly if a stream sees a fair amount of pressure you probably won't catch a lot of fish unless no one is fishing that particular day. On the other hand an unpressured stream should fish well almost anytime unless you splash around and are not generally keeping a low profile. I'm not saying you do either, but many factors make up why on a particular day a stream just doesn't fish well.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 15:54

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com