Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What's your favorite terrestrial??

From Harrisburg
Dear ryguyfi.

My favorites are beetles, either foam or deerhair Crowe beetles, foam ants, and Letort Crickets.

I can honestly say that in PA I have only caught one trout on a grasshopper, and it was a parachute hopper that I bought on a Colorado trip that was being used as a strike indicator on a two nymph dropper rig. They simply aren't common trout food on the streams I fish. The crickets work much better for me. If I fished more open meadow type streams maybe the hoppers would work?

I have also caught more than a few fish on big, ugly, Chernobyl ants and BLT's. They don't look like anything but the trout don't seem to mind.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/3/2 18:50

Foam beetle for the same reason as Fishidiot; they do work all year round AND a foam bee/yellow jacket.

I BEEcame a BEEliever after seeing my buddy nail a 20+ inch fish at Falling Spring on one and I have KILLED the fish at Clarks on them too.

Posted on: 2007/3/2 19:03

From Pittsburgh
I have caught lots of fish on deer hair beetles and ants.
I usually start with a #14 crowe beetle, and if they don't take it, I'll go to a smaller - #16 - #18 black deer hair ant

Posted on: 2007/3/2 20:02

Black Deerhair Carpenter Ant, #12

Sinking Green Inchworm

Posted on: 2007/3/2 20:46

From Harrisburg
http://wolftracksfly.tripod.com/flies.htm
Terrestrials are hands down my favorite as well. Spun deer hair beetle has truly amazed me. Only know 2 men that can cut them properly. Thing about these beetles is when held in a fishtank you can see the hairs on the bottom holding tiny bubbles of air underneath.
Large or small trout, native brookie stream or the Breeches when the parking lot is full, trout come to them when the ant, the cricket, and the hopper just get inspected and passed by. Hopefully the link will be posted but he probably likes tying these least of all. Evidently trimming them is a bit of a chore.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 7:32

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
are puppy flies considered terrestrial, OH wait thats for when we go Taimen fishing.....

1- red ant would be a fav. on spring creeks...

2- a small catapiller on freestone's..

I like to roll on a fire ant mound till I'm covered in them then shake real hard by the stream then, cast a orange ant out..

Posted on: 2007/3/3 8:12

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Altoona, PA
Quote:

Squaretail wrote:
http://wolftracksfly.tripod.com/flies.htm
Terrestrials are hands down my favorite as well. Spun deer hair beetle has truly amazed me. Only know 2 men that can cut them properly. Thing about these beetles is when held in a fishtank you can see the hairs on the bottom holding tiny bubbles of air underneath.
Large or small trout, native brookie stream or the Breeches when the parking lot is full, trout come to them when the ant, the cricket, and the hopper just get inspected and passed by. Hopefully the link will be posted but he probably likes tying these least of all. Evidently trimming them is a bit of a chore.

This is the first I've seen of these spun deer hair beetles, but I like fishing the Mohawk fly. It was invented by Gary Lafontaine's daughter. The trimming on that fly is very unusual and makes the fly sit very deep in the surface, much like many beetles do. I've done especially well on the Codorus with them.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 12:03

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Never heard of a mohawk fly and couldnt find any on a quick internet search... Care to fill me in with a pic or pattern??

Posted on: 2007/3/3 12:25

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From Lewistown
I prefer the hi-vis parachute carpenter ant size 12-16. However, one day last fall there was a (spinner fall) of size 22 red winged ants and the trout were feeding exclusively on them. Needless to say I now have a half dozen in my box.
I have only ever caught 1 trout on a hopper. It was a foam hopper, and because of it I am waiting for next year (it went plop and the spring creek brownie nailed it).

Posted on: 2007/3/3 12:49

From Pittsburgh
Another thing about terestial fishing - I've only done well using them on smaller and medium sized streams. Never had much success on big water - the Yough, Delaware, etc.

Tim - I've also had little success with hoppers in PA. I guess you just have to find the right spots where some are available to the fish.

Bamboozle- I learned that trout eat bees during and incident that happened about 20 years ago. I was fishing Penns in the fall, - when the fish started rising pretty well all over. Usually at that time of year, BWO's are hatching, and that's what I had on. But they wouldn't touch it.
I finally checked the water's surface, - and found dead and dying bees coming down en mass - a bee spinner fall? Anyway, I didn't have a pattern to match, and could only watch helplessly as the trout gorged on them.
I came up with a bee fly after that episode.
My fishing buddies thought I was nuts when I showed it to them, but I have caught trout on it.
I've also never seen a heavy "bee hatch" like that since, but I'm ready for one!

Posted on: 2007/3/3 13:53

From Altoona, PA
A rather stylized (and somewhat inaccurate) pic of the fly is on the cover of the book with the tying instructions in it.

On a standard dry fly hook spin deerhair and cover about 2/3 of the hook shank from the back. I usually whip finish off the fly and trim the back end of the fly at this point. The deer hair for the rear portion is typically brown, but you can try any color. Thread should match the color of the deer hair.

Trimming the fly is the key to it's effectiveness. Clip the deer hair tight to the bottom of the shank, and then clip it up to a V shape. Clip the deer hair flat on top, it should be shorter in the front and long in the back. The idea is to have the bulk in the back of the fly. This will push the bend of the fly down.

Restart with white thread, and tie in a white saddle hackle. This should be a good ole, webby wooley bugger feather NOT a dry fly saddle. It should be soft and floppy in the water. 2 or 3 turns is more than enough.

Now spin white deer hair to cover the remainder of the hook shank. Whip finish & trim the white deer hair.

I like to slap this fly down hard like a big beetle or spider falling into the water. It's not a magic fly, but trout will take it hard. I love it when a trout really attacks a fly!

Posted on: 2007/3/3 14:11

I like a 18-22 fur cinnamon ant in slow water for the sippers, but a reddish foam in 16 works for me in faster water.
You can never be without a beetle.
I also like a black cricket foam cricket, I can see it fairly well in rough water, but it works well in smooth water too. It also has that come and get me plop!
Flyman

Posted on: 2007/3/3 17:54

On Clarks and the Breeches it's a black foam beetle, on Spring Creek it's a black ant fished dry or wet.

Posted on: 2007/3/3 23:16

From Chester County
Here is a photo and recipe for the Mohawk. Great indicator fly.

http://www.uky.edu/~agrdanny/flyfish/ljdecuir/mohawk.htm

Posted on: 2007/3/4 7:54

Re: "are puppy flies considered terrestrial"

Not if they are Labrador Retriever puppies.

Posted on: 2007/3/4 8:05

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com