Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Western PA Instructional "Mini JAM"

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'm riding the coat tails of the guys from the LL, but thought it was a great idea. We'll start the discussion here and see who is willing to "instruct" and who else will be attending. If you can help out with any of the following items, just sign up. If you're attending just say so. Hopefully the grannoms will be on by then so we can really have some fun.

This will be held on Saturday April 9th at 8am at the Neshannock Creek in Volant. We'll use the 23rd as a rain date. We'll meet around the shop. There's several picnic tables that we can utilize. Let me know if you're willing to help out with any of the following.

Fly tying
Entimology
Knots/leaders
Casting
Fly presentation

And anyone who is willing to have a newbie tag along to fish with them also.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm sure I can fill any hole that isn't taken up. I'll also take someone with me to show around the stream and catch some fish.

Ryan

Posted on: 2011/2/14 20:49

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

Re: Western PA Instructional "Mini JAM"

From Eastern PA
Might want to put this in the Beginners forum like the other thread.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 21:25

From Slippery Rock PA
Listening!

Posted on: 2011/2/15 16:00

From Ellwood City PA
I'm in but not real sure if I can help with anything you listed still trying to get acquainted with stream fishing for trout after being in Florida for so long

Posted on: 2011/2/15 17:40

From Greensburg, Pa
I will be attending

Posted on: 2011/2/15 18:06

From Meadville, PA
I am planning to attend. Will let you know if I can't make it for some reason, like work!

Posted on: 2011/2/15 21:56

http://www.keystoneflyfishers.com/

That's a good time because it' before trout "season" and still early for pre-spawn smallies.

I can help out, doing whatever. I taught fly casting as a summer job for 2 seasons for LL Bean, so I may be better qualified for helping there.

But I'm up for it. Heck, at this point of the Winter, I'm up for nearly anything related to fishing.

SYl

Posted on: 2011/2/15 23:38

From harlansburg
I will gladly lend a hand Ryan, I should be around that weekend. I will happily take a couple folks down the stream for some fishing, not sure how much help I would be with the other stuff!LOL I DO know the difference between a little green bug and a big brown bug!
seriously though, I think this is a great idea, wish I could have found something like this 25 years ago!

Posted on: 2011/2/16 7:08

Sounds good guys. I've got Sylvanous signed up to do casting (possibly presentation depending on attendance) and bikerfish to take some people downstream (shhh... that's the best part of the stream). I'm going to call Bob at the shop to see if he can accommodate a few things. Unless someone of better skills wants to, I'm thinking of doing the fly tying/entomology in one. I can do a walk through of the life cycle and tie each pattern. I want to start at 8am, so that if the grannoms are on, then we can hit the hatch around 11 and be done with the formal instruction. I need someone to do a small presentation on knots and leaders, and anyone else who wants to volunteer would be great!

Also, one more item I need a volunteer for. Can anyone do a presentation on gear; rods, reels, line, tippet, shot, etc?

Ryan

Posted on: 2011/2/16 10:38

From Greensburg, Pa
Thanks Ryan for putting this together and everyone willing to help a new guy like myself.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 10:46

From Other side of the tracks
If Syl is going to be there, I'm not coming!

Just kidding Jason.

Ryan, will you be allowing felt bottom boots?

It's a bad time of year for me, so it is doubtful I will go. Just responded to joke around a little and to say that I think it is a great idea.

Besides, I'm not all that good at any ome aspect of fly fishing and I have never fished that crick before, so i would be a better student than teacher.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 10:47

One day the student will become the teacher there FD. lol

Felts are welcome, but you can only come if you bring some of that honey

It looks like we'll have a good turnout so far. I hope the weather and the bugs cooperate!

Posted on: 2011/2/16 10:51

From Westmoreland Co
Hmmm. I think I might be able to attend this if it's the first date and not the latter. The 23rd is Easter weekend Ryan if that affects anyone's schedule as it will mine.

I'm potentially willing to tackle the gear portion of the summit. I'm not expert but I am somewhat of a gear junkie so it could work out.

Go figure after the post about the 'student' becoming the teacher.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 12:43

From Other side of the tracks
I could handle the gear part too if the fly shop would be willing to supply the examples for free.

Get Jack up there to talk about fly fishing on a shoestring budget. He would be the second best guy on the site for that.

OK, maybe third. Bikerfish would probably give him and me a run for our money.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 13:27

Ok here's the list so far.

Fly Tying - ryguyfi (unless someone else is interested)
Casting and Presentation - Sylvanous
Gear - StudentofTheStream
Knots and leaders - Still need a volunteer

On stream teachers - Bikerfish, and those listed above.

Attenders - slimyrock, ineedsfish, Troutking, jreichel, possibly Farmer Dave.

We'll try to keep presentations to anywhere between 15-45 minutes so that we can get plenty of fishing done over the possible hatch.

Ryan

Posted on: 2011/2/17 15:00

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
119 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com