Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users





Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2011/5/26 10:12
From Dauphin PA
Posts: 2607
Offline
If you look at old magazines, they print the best fishing times table. I always got a good laugh out of those things. You always hear bass fisherman or walleye fisherman talk about the bite being best on a falling barometer.

In the last couple of years, I've been staying in touch with a guy and much of his success or lack of success he links to the barometric pressure. I didn't buy that crap at all but as time passes, I find myself giving it much more consideration / attention when I'm headed out to catch a hatch.

In theory, it makes sense. Lower pressure on the water should make hatching easier. He claims that it's also more user friendly to the fish and better rising is found when the barometric pressure is low. I'm starting to believe.

Anyone else experienced diminished hatches during high pressure? If you think about it...blue bird skies usually go with a bubble of high pressure over us. On Penns, I think that slows the hatching and all but stops the "catching". Falling barometer or low pressure usually has cloudy skies or skies changing to rain. I've seen some sick hatches and great fishing during those periods. Just something to think about and maybe keep track of this season to see if it holds true.


Posted on: 2013/4/19 12:53


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2007/5/29 14:32
From SE PA - Montgomery County
Posts: 593
Offline
Yes, I am a believer. All of god's creatures are in tune with their environment. Barometric pressure being just one variable.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 14:53


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2008/1/31 17:19
From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Posts: 12960
Offline
I'm not saying it couldn't be a factor. But likely a small one. The correlation of atmospheric pressure with fishing success/failure is probably pretty high, but not very causative. The causative part being the bluebird sunny skies that high pressure brings, vs. clouds and rain that low pressure brings. Those DEFINITELY have an effect.

As do the temperature affects. High pressure/clear skies typically results in warmer days and colder nights. Clouds, the opposite. And then of course cold fronts and warm fronts. At this time of year, a strong cold front will absolutely turn things off for a day or two afterwards, as temperatures are cold and water temps are dropping. And a pressure believe will say "yep, fishing was good at low pressure, now the barometer is rising and it sucks". But it was the temperature, not the pressure.

The actual change in pressure is just so miniscule in flowing water. The turbulence of the current FAR outweighs it.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:08


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2006/9/13 10:18
From LV
Posts: 7229
Offline
I believe it's true that weather affects trout feeding behavior and hatches. Exactly how, the only thing I know for sure is cold fronts impact fishing in a negative way, no hatches no catching, and during the days and hours leadding to a passing cold front fishing can be quite good.
It sucked this week. But I did catch 1 17 inch laker this week.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 16:19
_________________
It's time to stop stocking all wild trout streams no matter what Classification they are, and time to eradicate brown trout in some of our limestone streams and re-establish brookies in them.


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2006/9/21 0:02
From Pittsburgh
Posts: 4145
Offline
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I believe it's true that weather affects trout feeding behavior and hatches. Exactly how, the only thing I know for sure is cold fronts impact fishing in a negative way, no hatches no catching, and during the days and hours leadding to a passing cold front fishing can be quite good.
It sucked this week. But I did catch 1 17 inch laker this week.


Can't really agree with you on this.
I spent 4 days fishing BWO's on spring creek last month. The first day was sunny and warm - with air temps around 60. And the fishing was lousy. Very few bugs and rising fish.
And the weather got colder and nastier every day for the next 3 days there. And the worse it got, the better the hatching and rising fish. Until finally by the 4th day, I was fishing with snow falling and terrible winds. But those BWO's still came off, and the fish came up for them nicely.

And that has happened to me before - especially with BWO's

Posted on: 2013/4/19 23:31


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2009/10/15 13:45
From Eastern PA
Posts: 10220
Offline
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I'm not saying it couldn't be a factor. But likely a small one. The correlation of atmospheric pressure with fishing success/failure is probably pretty high, but not very causative. The causative part being the bluebird sunny skies that high pressure brings, vs. clouds and rain that low pressure brings. Those DEFINITELY have an effect.

As do the temperature affects. High pressure/clear skies typically results in warmer days and colder nights. Clouds, the opposite. And then of course cold fronts and warm fronts. At this time of year, a strong cold front will absolutely turn things off for a day or two afterwards, as temperatures are cold and water temps are dropping. And a pressure believe will say "yep, fishing was good are low pressure, now the barometer is rising and it sucks". But it was the temperature, not the pressure.

The actual change in pressure is just so miniscule in flowing water. The turbulence of the current FAR outweighs it.


I believe you are 100% correct here. I came to the same realization years ago when I lived down south and was in to BASSCAR.


Posted on: 2013/4/20 0:47


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2011/5/26 10:12
From Dauphin PA
Posts: 2607
Offline
Just thought I'd put this back out there since I haven't seen 10 mayflies on my house in a week....until we finally had bad weather roll through last night.

Thousands of olives and iso on my house. I'm now a believer.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 7:41
_________________
"Excelling at making people angry since 1967"


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2006/11/20 10:08
Posts: 1150
Offline
I have enjoyed many fine days of fishing during wonderful weather, including quite a few fine BWO outings last winter. I also have enjoyed many fine days of fishing during wet, drizzly weather, especially during sulphur hatches.
One thing I have noticed, though, is that when a high pressure front and lovely weather comes in after low pressure and gray, humid weather, the trout pretty much shut down for a day or two, and fishing can be difficult.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:00


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2010/8/9 16:23
Posts: 3364
Offline
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I'm not saying it couldn't be a factor. But likely a small one. The correlation of atmospheric pressure with fishing success/failure is probably pretty high, but not very causative. The causative part being the bluebird sunny skies that high pressure brings, vs. clouds and rain that low pressure brings. Those DEFINITELY have an effect.

As do the temperature affects. High pressure/clear skies typically results in warmer days and colder nights. Clouds, the opposite. And then of course cold fronts and warm fronts. At this time of year, a strong cold front will absolutely turn things off for a day or two afterwards, as temperatures are cold and water temps are dropping. And a pressure believe will say "yep, fishing was good at low pressure, now the barometer is rising and it sucks". But it was the temperature, not the pressure.

The actual change in pressure is just so miniscule in flowing water. The turbulence of the current FAR outweighs it.


Q again FT.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:25


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2013/3/28 20:10
From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
Posts: 123
Offline
Agreed. Last night the hatch was amazing and the trout were going nuts feeding on them. Weather definitely plays an important role.

Posted on: 2013/9/2 10:32


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2009/12/3 14:56
From Cato, NY
Posts: 943
Offline
I think the CHANGE in barometric pressure has an effect on hatches not necessarily what it is currently. Does that make sense anyone? hatches (for me) seem to be more consistent with consistent weather/pressure but a change in barometric pressure will either trigger or slow a hatch.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 15:34


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2008/1/31 17:19
From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Posts: 12960
Offline
So, umm, you're saying wind has an effect on bugs? Yup.

My views on this haven't changed.

1. Bugs/fish are not reacting directly to changes in atmospheric pressure.

2. However, bugs/fish do react directly to weather and changes in the weather. I don't think anybody would deny that. And those changes in the weather are caused by changes in atmospheric pressure. So indirectly, yes, it absolutely has an effect.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 15:56


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2008/1/31 17:19
From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Posts: 12960
Offline
Good article on the many complexities of aquatic insect development.

http://www.laughingrivers.com/rick-timing.html

Posted on: 2013/9/3 16:15


Re: Weather impacting trout and hatches

Joined:
2006/9/13 10:18
From LV
Posts: 7229
Offline
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I believe it's true that weather affects trout feeding behavior and hatches. Exactly how, the only thing I know for sure is cold fronts impact fishing in a negative way, no hatches no catching, and during the days and hours leadding to a passing cold front fishing can be quite good.
It sucked this week. But I did catch 1 17 inch laker this week.


Can't really agree with you on this.
I spent 4 days fishing BWO's on spring creek last month. The first day was sunny and warm - with air temps around 60. And the fishing was lousy. Very few bugs and rising fish.
And the weather got colder and nastier every day for the next 3 days there. And the worse it got, the better the hatching and rising fish. Until finally by the 4th day, I was fishing with snow falling and terrible winds. But those BWO's still came off, and the fish came up for them nicely.

And that has happened to me before - especially with BWO's

Actually we do agree, I just didn't get into the details. I've been out in some very bad weather and the fishing has been great, a passing cold front once it is through will cause fishing to be off for a day or 2.

As to Barometric Pressure affecting fishing, I believe it does. Every day as the sun goes down, and the evening cools the barometric pressure reaches a point that fish feel the change in the lateral line, and they will quit feeding even during a hatch. That's why fishing on evening when the temperature remains steady is almost always fabulous.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 17:22






You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com