Water Levels

T

TYoung

With all the rain that we are getting in PA this week, make sure to check the water levels before you head to a stream. It would really stink to drive three hours to a stream to find that it is blown out. I think that there is a good chance that some streams could be blown out through this weekend. While watching the weather channel, I saw photos of flooded streets in State College.

Great advise. I check the USGS site EVERY day to see what's going on up north. We are supposed to be getting these thunderstorms with heavy rain for the next 7 days!
This might be just what the doctor ordered in some areas. I'll be hitting a few NC streams in the next week if things work out right. It's God sent for this time of the year!

Fingers crossed for Spring creek to be clear again by monday!

Things should be fine on Saturday. Everything is already dropping including the bigger waters.

Yesterday, State College had flooded streets downtown. The flow of Spring Creek shot up last night, but is coming down fast. If it doesn't get any more rain, conditions should be great for fishing bigger flies this weekend.

More rain from Bellefonte East on Friday. But browns were being caught in the grass on Spring Creek Friday.

i read on noaa that portions of moshannon state forest received between 5 and 7 inches of rainfall in a very short period of time, like 4-5 hours on thursday. Apparently this created extreme flash flooding in some areas.I remember reading in one of charlie mecks books that something like this happened on Bob's creek and Wills creek on the same day in the 1980's and it totally changed the stream by scouring out the streambed of debris, macros and even some fish. They both came back, but i guess it took a while. Bobs and Wills are very different streams than the ones in Moshannon, so im not sure if this type of event will negatively effect anything up in Moshannon, but that much rain falling in one event is unusual in itself, let alone falling in 4 to 5 hours. One good thing is the majority of the watersheds up there are over 90% forested, so flash flooding would be more limited than a more developed watershed.

Speaking of rain and water levels,has anyone read a credible analysis of what exactly is going on ,weather -wise,the past week and for next week.I really don't remember this # of consecutive days of rain in late June.
I'd appreciate a link if someone has read some analysis other than just a"forecast".Thanks.Tom

All I really know is that it's been the wettest June on record in many portions of the East. There will be some great fishing in the weeks to come.

It seemed I was the only one on spring creek yesterday. It was only my third time there, as I spend much of my time on penns. It was one of the best nights of fishing I have had in months. The water was off color, maybe visible to 6", but i simply worked the banks the best I could. A storm rolled through state college around 6pm, and although all I experienced was drizzle, the stream quickly rose again, but the trout were still hungry! :)

Back