Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Volumteers Needed

From LV
During the week of July 4th there will be a major stream improvement project on Cross Fork Creek. I don't have the details, but this would be a good time to show that you care about wild trout fisheries because it is a TU/PFBC Project. I will find our more as the time gets closer.
Moderator, please don't move this post.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 16:33

Re: Volumteers Needed

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I'll be curious to hear what is planned for this project. It doesn't seem to me that this would be the sort of stream where a significant investment in in-stream structures would be worthwhile. Streams of this type often tend to either blow them out or cut new channels and leave them high and dry.

I'm prbably wrong though...:) I hope so.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 18:29

From Greensburg, PA
While anytime people volunteer to better a stream it is to be recognized and appreciated, I think it takes some nerve on the PFBC's part to have others improve a stream they ruined by stocking over wild fish. Perhaps with these improvements it may someday return to a class A.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 20:14

From south central pa
My experience on this stream is that there are very few wild trout and even the recently stocked trout diapear after a couple of weeks. Maybe this work will provide enough habitat to actually hold some trout. I sure hope it is a success.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 22:11

If anyone has any details on the habitat improvement project, I hope they'll post them. I've caught some very nice wild trout in Cross Fork Creek over the years, both browns and brookie. My experience has been that where there is good habitat there are wild trout. But some sections have very poor habitat.

But I'd be very interested to know what they think has caused the poor habitat conditions, how they plan to improve habitat conditions, and the specific sites where they plan to do the work. I Googled around but couldn't find any details.

Posted on: 2007/3/26 23:11

I'll be going up to the camp for a couple of days so please let us know the details when they are available.
BTW Cross Fork has a very good population of wild trout all the way to the mouth, this will only improve the population.
My best guess as to why the population of Cross Fork has dropped is Harvest. I've heard from folks that have camps up there that there is considerable harvest by the bait crowd even in the C & R Section. Nothing else has really changed. The habitat in some sections isn't particularly great, and it's been impacted by human activity for about 100 years.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 3:56

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
While anytime people volunteer to better a stream it is to be recognized and appreciated, I think it takes some nerve on the PFBC's part to have others improve a stream they ruined by stocking over wild fish. Perhaps with these improvements it may someday return to a class A.

Tom,

Actually this is an example of how the system works or should work. See the PF&BC is not in the business of stream improvement. They are in the business of providing fishing opportunities. Cross Fork was calss A and dropped to B and the people who probably made it that way whined. Whether it be habitat or harvest or a combo of the two probably, is beside the point. The biologists found poor results and responded with the popular result, Stocking.

I am not a fan of this approach but it is the one we have to live with for now.

In the current era it is the private sector, angling public and conservation orgs who are saddled with the daunting task of "improving" or "repairing" degrading streams. The F&BC provides some good resources toward this end with conultation, design and funding.

They certainly do not have the resources to go it alone.

I've realized this for along time...my only gripe is that I believe the approach should be more proactive toward wild trout. For instance, when degrading populations are found due to habitat I believe they should initiate the idea of restoration with the groups responsible for the due diligence rather than sit back with all the knowledge and wait for a group to "discover" the problem and approach them about it.

Just my .02

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/3/27 11:56

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
I believe the approach should be more proactive toward wild trout. For instance, when degrading populations are found due to habitat I believe they should initiate the idea of restoration with the groups responsible for the due diligence rather than sit back with all the knowledge and wait for a group to "discover" the problem and approach them about it.

Just my .02

Maurice

So my question was..Why not rehab the stream and see if the wild population revives...instead they stock it and say, well, since we spent money putting fish in, maybe we should fix it up a little. Kind of reminds me of a slum lord after he finds out his land is worth money.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 12:52

From Dallastown, PA
Tom, Think of it as an indirect way of doing just that...improving the habitat so it can have the ability to go back to class A...They got a lot of heat over this one. If it gets back to class A and the stocking ceases they will be seen in a good light by wild trouters.

Its not like they are refusing to help and dumping fish in.

all I'm saying is when the dog that pisses on the carpet goes outside for once...don't smack his nose with the newspaper. But who am I to tell you how to raise your dog.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 13:16

From Greensburg, PA
I agree with your philosophy but I'm having trouble keeping the "first time shame on you, second time shame on me " theme from running thru my brain. I hope that you are correct in their goal. And not, "hey we fixed this up pretty good...I bet we could stock way more fish in here now." I think I'll stay cautiously optimistic...

Posted on: 2007/3/27 14:37

From LV
Tom,
It is an imperfect system. The population of wild trout is still Class B, so it isn't far from being really good again. I'm not sure the PFBC is all that involved except to provide some design elements. They didn't degrade the stream, but I disagree with their response. This is a good way to show them the answer is the habitat is the problem, if it is not we'll know soon enough. It is also a way to show PFBC how much we care about the wild trout in PA.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 14:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
108 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com