Update to the Pa Trout Streams Section

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
A recent update to the site includes new Google Maps of all the Special Regulation Streams in Pennsylvania. The stream locations are divided up into six areas of the state. The new maps provide an easier and more visual way to find many of the states special projects that focus on some of the best trout fishing in Pennsylvania.

The power of Google Maps help provide detail locations and easy driving directions to over a hundred fabulous locations across the state.

The project has been a special collaboration of many of the PaFlyFish members who really provided expertise on the locations of the streams. It is hoped this new maps provide the framework for more and new information about stream locations across the state.

A special thanks to David, JackM, Maurice, Albatross, Padriac,
salvelinusfontinalis, afishinado and several others for their input. Please forgive me if I missed someone.

cool, when do all the wild brookie streams get listed? :-o

nice job, thanks...

Thanks, Dave. As we know, some of the stream plotting was done even though none of us ever visited there. I would suggest that if anyone notices any errors on the maps, that they let Dave know or post on this thread so it can be researched further and, perhaps, corrected. Making these maps as accurate as possible is the goal.

how do we get in to look, it tells me i dont have permission

Look at the site menu on the left edge of this page. Titled Pa Trout Streams. Then again maybe it's not available to "professionals"?

nice i like it... i do see if doesnt have all the class A streams as this one... http://pfbc.state.pa.us/CountyGuide/County_Guide.htm but it's still great none the less... do you know if it is posible to import the data into google earth?

To answer a few of the questions:

Everyone should see the maps in more detail by selecting "View Larger Map" at the bottom of the map. This will take you to Google Maps and you don't need a Google account then to look at the map further.

The State website and PaFlyFish will have some overlap but most of time they will be different on most fronts.

Fourteen years ago Paflyfish had stocking data, maps, regulations and the State Website did not. Over time the State added many of these items and Paflyfish has picked up the forum and stream reports.

The goal of Paflyfish is to foster a community for anglers to share information and better enjoy their fly fishing experience in Pennsylvania.

Paflyfish does not have the resources to create all the information the State has to share on the internet as one can understand. What we will do is to provide different and relevant information specific to our fly fishing community.

The maps will be different from what the State has and is a framework for specific information down the road.

It took the team a few months to get as far as we did volunteering their time to creating what we have done so far. I am very grateful for that help and everyones feedback on how we can improve our community.

I hope you like what we have so far and hope to add more as time goes on.

Dave

alrighty, i have managed to get both databases into google earth so i have all the info at my fingertips and i can use it with my gps and laptop to see what alls near by... so as for what i did if anyone's interested:
1. install google earth
2. i found that if you alter the link of the maps in the Pa Trout Streams section, you can easily download the kml info and import it into google earth... so if you click on these links below it will poll all the data right into google earth if you open the .kml files...

north east
north central
north west
south east
south central
south west

3. ok now that you have that all in one spot, its time to bring in the pa fish and boat's gis info... just open this link!
state's stuff!

and there ya have it... you now have both databases for the entire state in one spot :)

ok, that took 30 seconds...but I only get the special regs listed. I know the site is just that but I was wondering about ATWS and how I get those in google as well? maybe I did something wrong?

Great map. Missing the Benton, PA fishing Creek DHALO section?

I marked the Fishing Creek DHALO. Does it show on your map? Is it in the right place? Thanks for noticing. that's the kind of help that is needed.

Jack, Once again great work. Benton DHALO is now on the map. Thanks I guess!! ;-)

The missing section is designated DHALO that's why I added it. And, yes, the PAFF maps are only showing the special regs areas. You can see the map key below the map. I'm not sure if Dave has any plan to expand it. We discussed plotting the Class A and Wildderness streams and though there was no strong objection against it, it will involve a great deal of additional work.

Back