Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Type of "outlawed" fishing

From Norristown, PA
What was that kind of fishing called where youd tie the fly next to the bare hook and people called it snagging?

Posted on: 2013/2/27 15:47

Re: Type of "outlawed" fishing

From King Of Prussia, Pa
By people you are referring to the PFBC. I know what you're talking about but the name escapes me.

edit: Moffitt System

Posted on: 2013/2/27 15:49

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Dirty pinning? Lol jk

Posted on: 2013/2/27 16:30

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

Same as fishing a trout bead in NY.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 20:54

From Indiana Co., PA
i never understood trout beads...

Posted on: 2013/2/27 22:21

I use trout beads both in NY and here for local trout. I use them pegged just above a fly. Especially when fishing over recently stocked fish. The bead represents an egg therefore giving the fish two choices to take. Only if the fly hook is on the outside of the fish's mouth can you tell whether it took the bead or the fly. Sometimes in NY I will use a bead and bare hook, but most of the time I use a stonefly or bugger too. One thing I do know, trout beads work and they are very inexpensive.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 23:17

From Central PA
don't know but +1 on trout beads... wish they were made out of a material that does not float though.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 0:36

From Johnstown, PA
There is a type of sight fishing called lifting , i'm not sure what the rig consists of but you more or less visually float the fly into the fishes mouth.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 6:53

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
i never understood trout beads...

Egg imitations. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 9:01

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
pat,
its a more (legal) way of lifting. you see the fish take the bead and wham set the hook..same as watching your line swing into fisheys mouth and setting hook...

Posted on: 2013/2/28 11:05

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'm not sayin nobody does that. But you could do that with anything visible.

More often, the idea is that, rather than just drifting it into an unknowing fish's mouth, the fish actually, you know, mistakes it for a food item and intentionally eats it. A bead makes a good imitation of a single egg. Most of our egg flies, even smallish glo bugs, are a little big to represent a single trout egg.

You can put beads right on a hook, just like you can put a hookless fly up the line. Thus the Moffitt system is a separate discussion from beads. I was answering to the beads only, not the Moffitt system.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 11:19

@sandfly, I use beads and I don't lift or snag and I prefer not to be able to see the fish. As with any method of fishing, one can lift and snag all day if he is inclined to do so. I just think trout beads are another type of bait. Although they are not "flies" and are not legal to use in FF only sections on the Salmon River I still like them. And they do pick up the bead thinking it's an egg. I have one fishing buddy who hates beads and is against using them, but everytime I catch a nice trout I make it a point to exclaim "blue trout bead" or whatever color I was using.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 20:23

From Central PA
if a ff only or delayed harvest section what is the difference between a bead and small glo bug?

one is leagal and one is not...correct. am i talking/typing to myself?

but really, beads are not bait. i really don't fish them much but think that the rules should omit molded eggs.

i learned this after my buddy asked me what i was catching em on...i answered trout beads, he said walk back to the bank and read the sign...oops. gotta leave the beads in the truck when going to the delayed harvest sections.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 22:01

Ok, please tell me who has the vision to track a 6mm trout bead that is 30'+ away and 3-5' deep? Seems like a poor choice for lifting.

I really like trout beads for trib fishing. Egg flies are lame to tie and trout beads are a nice alternative. Pretty realistic imitation too. I have been satisfied with my catch rates while using them. Like the other guy said, they are real cheap, like $2-3 for 50.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 22:08

From Central PA
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Ok, please tell me who has the vision to track a 6mm trout bead that is 30'+ away and 3-5' deep? Seems like a poor choice for lifting.

I really like trout beads for trib fishing. Egg flies are lame to tie and trout beads are a nice alternative. Pretty realistic imitation too. I have been satisfied with my catch rates while using them. Like the other guy said, they are real cheap, like $2-3 for 50.

superman, eagles...

like my buddy says, if he can see em he can catch em.

you can always tell a guy that is lifting, he is hooking up every 5 minutes but rarely lands one.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 23:34

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com