Tyger's first Tiger

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

This evening I took a spur of the moment trip to my local stream for some evening fishing. I had an OK day fishing at the Fish N Chips event ( netted 1, missed 5-6). I watched lv2nymph show bassman how to tightline throughout the day so I decided to give it an honest shot tonight. I tried tight lining through a bunch of runs I had my eye on with no luck.
Seems like I dont have the knack and its gonna take alot longer than I thought to get this type of nymphing down so I gave up and went to a pool I like to zip streamers in. Then I noticed it...I toad of a trout up along the bank in some slack water just kicking it. I added some tippet, tied on my cricket pattern I've been having luck with, added some tippet, and lined up. The fly landed about a foot in front of him and to his left. He noticed as soon as the fly plopped on the water and when it drifted down to him he rose up with no hesitation and took my fly.

BAM it was on. He tore my big @ss up, but as I was bringing him in I noticed he was odd looking. Thought he was a weird looking rainbow, or a dark brownie. Got closer and I seen some spots on his back and thought, "oh damn its a brook!" I finally netted him and it hit me. Its a friggin tiger trout! My first ever...

CAM00280-EFFECTS_zps91ecaf37.jpg

Cool spot behind is eye.
CAM00281_zps1735bb8a.jpg

CAM00286_zps917863bb.jpg

CAM00285_zpsccf077cb.jpg

I thought about bagging it the rest of the night, thinking it aint gonna get better than this, but it was fairly early and had the stream to myself. I moved on with the cricket and caught a couple more.

CAM00288_zps2fe703f8.jpg

This rainbow rocketed out of the water five times during the fight.
CAM00291_zpse1c02e82.jpg

Overall it was an epic night for me and one I'll remember for a long time.

Nice job Tyger

welcome to the club, nicely done

Very nice. Might be that one I caught last year but it grew a bunch.

^Thats the first thing i thought! It was an awesome day, and totally blew my mind.

That there is a great fish Tyger. I am so happy for you.

GenCon

really nice fish tiger,now I know what they look like.that sounds like a some great fun.thanks for the pics.

Wow, looks like an epic night for sure. Great story and some nice toads you caught there.

nice fish. funy how sometimes success just creeps up on ya.

Coolness!

So is this a wild fish or a hold-over?

Definately wild...ish. hahaha, lets not go down this road :)

Obvious blue spot on the gill plate. Definitely wild...ish.;-)

Nice fish. I have yet to catch one.

This is an honest question. Does the state or anyone else actually stock tigers?

The state does, but few-- private stockings account for most non-wild tiger trout.

Thanks Jack. I've caught 2 in my life (if I combined the length they probably wouldn't equal Tyger's one) and neither were on streams that were stocked so I assumed they were wild even though I never knew until today that there were stocked tigers.

JackM wrote:
The state does, but few-- private stockings account for most non-wild tiger trout.

The state used to but ceased stocking tigers around 2008. Private stockings or wild spawn are the genesis of any tigers one catches today.

Here's an article that discusses the cessation of the PFBC state tiger program:

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/outdoors/s_558571.html#axzz38mg4tEh2

Doesn't look like any tiger I've ever seen, it's a brookie. Stockie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a tiger and a good one. I'm pretty sure it's stocked though. I caught an 18" tiger two years ago on Little Pine Creek in Lycoming County. I did'nt think the state put it their so I did a little asking around and found out their were TWO Tigers stocked privately along with some nice rainbows and browns during the month of May. I caught it the middle of October. It looked alot that the OP photo. Years ago the PFBC stocked tigers along with the normal brookies on White Deer Creek. I caught about a dozen of them that year. Congrats Tyger on joining the club!

Its definately not wild. It is however one of the biggest fish and first tiger ive caught and im thrilled with that! Thanks for all the compliments. Hey even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Back