Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Tully Temps
From Chester County
This may fly in the face of the beliefs of many Tully fishermen, but the Tully, with it’s current limited “cold” water pool, late in the summer, the release is so warm, it actually becomes a liability rather than an asset. Now, with current summer air temps in the 80’s during the day and in the 60’s at night (quite normal for this time of year) the water temp never real cools to a temp of below 70* because of the warm water spilling from the dam. Look at the temps above the dam (see below) they are cooler.

At one time I was a proponent of fingerling stocking on the Tully, but now it looks like it makes more sense for the Tully to be managed like a put-and-take fishery (like Mike has said on here many times) rather than a tailwater fishery. That means adult trout stocking spring and fall and DH rules.

What do you think?

Attach file:

jpg  Tully Below.gif.jpg (91.10 KB)
53_4c6e995022685.jpg 576X384 px

jpg  Tully above.gif.jpg (85.24 KB)
53_4c6e99622b548.jpg 576X384 px

Posted on: 2010/8/20 11:04

Re: Tully Temps

From Bozeman
Agreed.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 11:05

From Harrisburg PA
I have believed for years that due to high temps & marginal habitat the Tully should be DHALO.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 11:08

From Eastern PA
You are absolutely correct afishinado! I had just posted to englishprof and Fade's thread about fishing the Tully on Sat that it is a death sentence for the fish.

It has not been below 72 degrees this week, even during the night. It hit 77 yesterday. This temp is up at waterworks gauging station. It is a degree or two higher down stream. Note, that the Bernville gauge is above Blue Marsh and few people fish it, though temps are much better up there. Readers of the thread, don't be confused and think that there are sections of the DHALO section that are ok to fish.

Scotto, did you mean Tully should NOT be DHALO? 'Cause it is DHALO . . ..

Posted on: 2010/8/20 11:13

From Harrisburg PA
No sorry, I meant to agree w/ Afish, that stockings should be adult fish and not fingerlings. The attempt to create a self-sustaining fishery through the stocking of fingerlings, based on the high temps, is in vain.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 11:17

From Eastern PA
Well you got your wish. They no longer stock fingerlings and only stock adult trout. Many are against the practice and believe in the fingerling stocking due to the historical astronomical growth rates they achieved. I believe we should give it 3-4 years of legal size stocking and see how that responds. I don't think anyone would argue that fishing on the Tully this Winter, Spring and early Summer was anything short of excellent. People caught a ton of fish and a lot of decent sized fish. IF they can hold over this Summer without being molested, the addition of Fall and Spring float stocking should make for an amazing fishery next year.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 11:46

From Harrisburg PA
IF is the operative word in the equation. I just believe that most would rather have the $ spent on catchable/keeper fish than take the chance w/ the fingerlings in a marginal stream. I like the idea of fingerlings in higher quality streams where the survival rate may be better.

Just my opinions and beliefs, I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 12:30

The Tully has always gotten warm during August. Maybe not this warm, but it has never been ideal for trout during this month. For the most part, Fingerling survival has nothing to do with these temps. The trout survived those temps before, why not now? Its likely other issues that are causing the fingys not to survive or do that well in the Tully.

Also, this has been an very warm summer. In addition, the Corps has been releasing water periodically for Salt line control (?) as directed by DRBC. So they are dumping a lot of the cold/cool water and drawing down the warmer surface water, which has to be very warm this year.

Also, I thought the PFBC stocked a mix of fingerlings and adults below Rebers Bridge and just Adults above. Mike should have more info on this one. Hopefully he chimes in.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 12:48

The Tully is what it is. If everyone would just keep an eye on temps and stop fishing when the water exceeds the 69 degree point, we'd be fine. The fish will find a way to make it through the warm spells and it's been ugly this year. Dropping the flow on a 90 degree day isn't helping the problem. There hasn't been a fish kill spotted this year, and I'm amazed there hasn't been one. Flyflinger showed me a brown that was in the ballpark of 5-6 pounds. That fish had made it though some bad spells for a quite a few years to get that big in the Tully.

General rule:

If you are catch and release fishing... 32 -69 degrees and not 1 degree higher. If you are keeping the fish, any temp is fine.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:01

Afish: Thanks for the nod and thanks for being willing to change your views for all to see.

jdaddy is correct, but I will add to that. The adult trout stocking program beginning this fall involves a Tulpehocken specific management shift in Section 05 (Rebers bridge to the Covered bridge). That stretch will receive a somewhat higher stocking rate than most DH areas receive in fall, which, of course, will reduce the spring stocking rate somewhat next spring for that section. Section 05 will also only be stocked with rainbows in the fall. This year that may require Section 04 to receive all browns due to a limited number of rainbows available, but that change in Sectioin 04 will not be the norm. Back to Section 05, we noted excellent growth of fall stocked adult RT in that section from fall through the following spring. If survival is acceptable, then this may become standard practice in the Tully Section 05. What we think and hope you'll see is next spring is larger than normal (larger than what the fingerlings produced), colorful, rainbows from the fall planting. No worries, there will still be plenty trout remaining from the Section 05 annual allocation to be stocked in spring.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:08

From Chester County
Thanks for the info Mike. Sounds like a plan to me.

I know fish are "dumb" creatures but placing coldwater fish in tepid water and hoping they survive is not my idea of sportsmanship. This is not intended to be comment directed to any individual, just food for thought.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:18

From Media Pa
Hey Sight: You told me and the Prof that you never fished the Tully because you hated it!

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:19

From Eastern PA
LehighRegular,
Do you have a written source on the Salt line control? We were guessing on that theory at TU board meeting this week.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:21

Jdaddy

Go to this webpage. http://www.state.nj.us/drbc/data.htm

Scroll down to "today's directed releases from basin reservoirs"

Its right above the footnotes in the spreadsheet.

Usually, they post it here and you can see where and how much water DRBC pulls from the various reservoirs.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:33

From The Hilton
This all sounds similar to another marginal tailwater recently discussed here!

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:34

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
95 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com