Tree Hugger!

F

Fishidiot

Ya gotta love October. While out hiking today to one of my favorite brookie streams in Perry County, I came across this massive oak tree. I'm sentimental about left over old growth (what little there is of it in PA) and giant individual trees. Particularly impressive was that this tree is on state forest land nearly 2000 feet in elevation where I typically don't expect to find large diameter trees. Rather, I usually expect to see 'em in valley creek bottoms on private land. The surrounding forest is mixed oak, mostly second growth but pretty old and this particular spot is nearly a mile from the nearest dirt road. While hiking today, I didn't see a single bit of evidence of human activity (except some cut logs) - not a single piece of litter, not even a footprint.
By comparison, I'm nearly six feet tall. This tree is so massive I thought, when I first glimpsed it, that it must be two trees. Thirty feet up the tree was still about four feet in diameter where it forked. Half the tree is dead but the larger fork seemed healthy with thick leaf canopy. I'd estimate this tree to be in the 250 year class range. Down along the creek I saw dozens of hemlocks and white pines that, while they weren't as massive as this oak, are likely even older. While marveling at this guy, and continuing to think about him during the rest of my hiking/fishing trip, I wondered: How did he manage to cheat the saw a hundred years ago and not burn during the ensuing years of slash fires? This big fella could be a living witness to Native Americans following the ridgeline during the French Indian War era; would have seen the surrounding countryside clear cut; and may have provided shade to CCC workers in the 1930s as they re-planted the forest.
Awesome.
It's nice to see a few of these ancient witnesses to so many bygone years are still standing in our state's public forests. There's something reassuring about that.

Attachments

• BigTree.jpg
    BigTree.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 8
You don't see many like that any more. Neat post dave.

Is anyone here familiar with the colossal tree on the far bank in a long, slow pool on valley? It's a few hundred yards above the iron bridge. I've always been amazed by it.

jayL wrote:
You don't see many like that any more. Neat post dave.

Not in the woods anyway. I usually see trees that big in older neighborhoods after a big storm. Usually on cars or a house.

You're right tom. I don't ever notice them in civilization. Odd how that works. I guess they're a lot like stocked trout. :p

Tree Hugger

Thanks for the pic. Glad to see some of these giants are still around. It's hard to imagine that at one time the entire state was covered with trees like that and back then the Chestnut trees were even bigger.

flapjack

Great find.

when I was a kid I found an old oak tree at least as big around as that. Then again, i was only a kid and things seemed bigger back then. This tree was short and fat though. I'm guessing the trunk was was less than 20 high to where it branched out in all directions. The area appear to have been a pasture many years ago because all the other trees were very small diameter. also, the big tree looked like it had been pounded by lightning many times.The center was rotted out of it. But it was still alive. probably long gone now.

We also had a favorite Ash tree for climbing when we were kids. It was a fence row tree on the farm just down the road. I rember carving the initials of my first crush in that tree, way up where few could find it. It also got hammered a lot by lightning, and I think it is gone now, too.

I have a couple very old sugar maples on my farm. They are old fence row trees and probably were only spared because they were a good place for the old timers to attach barbed wire. No idea how old these trees are, but what used to be pasture is now mature trees that have been timbered several times. some of the younger trees are even over 20 inches in diameter. But a few fence row trees are huge, and much much older. One is exceptionally huge, and has lost some big limbs over the past couple years. I dred that it won't take long for the rest of it to go. the limb that fell last year is over 2 feet in diameter and bigger than most trees on the property. The most recent limb which fell during a wind storm this summer is also huge, but not quite as big. The center was rotten on that one. It had a hollowed out knot that was probably made by a Pilated woodpecker years ago and probably used by wood ducks. Another knot hole further up the tree has fox squirrels living in it. I've also seen bald eagles roost on that tree.

Another big maple fell down shortly before I bought the place. It was basically a corner marker for the property.

Also have a huge cherry tree that is basically another corner marker. It is pretty rotten and full of carpenter ants, but still alive. It's only a matter of time until it goes over because it is exposed to wind.

These old trees are like small communities. the funny thing is it was the wire that saved them.

I wonder if thirty years from now we will refer to the reforested areas as stocked, wild or feral trees?

Cool tree David, I have one I am looking at through my living room window in my neighbors yars that is 3'+ across for ten feet then branches out wide. Its a white oak I think.

There is one down the road along queen street that goes four feet easy. In front of a bank.

I remember a hemlock along Laurel Hill Creek that was massive. You had to come right up against it when traversing a rocky outcrop along the stream. I remember stopping and touching it and looking up and leaning against it for a moment before moving on.

Large trees are like sitting down with an elderly person to hear stories of the past.....except you have to make up the story.

Funny, my buddy and I were fishing Clarks yesterday and stopped for a break by a particularly old and large oak. We were having the "you don't see them this big anymore" conversation and talking about big oaks we remember from childhood. Great post Dave.

Boyer

I wonder if thirty years from now we will refer to the reforested areas as stocked, wild or feral trees?-quote

great line Maurice-lol

If you guys get a chance, make a trip to Cook Forest in NW PA. Its virgin stands of white pine and hemlock trees are amazing. Some of the trees are over 300 years old.

In places, the forest floor is so dark that at noon on a sunny summer's day, the flash on your camera automatically goes off when you try to take a picture.

It's a deep, dark moss-covered forest from a medieval dream. You expect to see Robin Hood pop up at any time.

Worth a trip. Fishing is pretty good too.

Attachments

• 1776.jpg
    1776.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Cathedral.jpg
    Cathedral.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 3
jayl...that sycamore is referred to as 'lafayette's sycamore.' it is a pretty well known tree. sad part is that bank is continuously eroding away toward it. and like many other 'holes' which are created by sycamore hanging on for dear life with their roots, it too might one day we doing the same thing.

i have photos from the late 80s where you can see the tree, and it is definitely located further from the stream bank. that entire stretch has changed considerably over time. but still holds a ton of fish.

neat post fishidiot.

VC,

Thanks a lot for the info.

Lafayette's sycamore.

This oddly shaped sycamore stands a few hundred yards from General Lafayette’s Headquarters at Valley Forge. It is estimated to be 275-325 years old, which means it would have been a witness to the winter encampment of 1777-1778. One source speculates that the tree’s unique shape may have been a result of its extremities being used by soldiers for firewood or poles.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffkrueger/treelist.html

At Kathryn Albertson Park in Boise there was a cross section like that one above from a 376 year old Ponderosa pine. Pretty cool. I remember them cutting it down.

greenghost wrote:
It's a deep, dark moss-covered forest from a medieval dream. You expect to see Robin Hood pop up at any time. ....

Speaking of Robin Hood, here is his tree:

Robin_Hood_Major_Oak.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Oak

Jack,
That is really cool. Its age boggles the mind.. if only trees could talk!

wow, looks that that tree in Disney World. Now that's a climbing tree.

The Major Oak is a mere kid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_trees

Fishidiot, great post and very cool picture! That's one part of stream fishing that I love is marveling at the surroundings and nature.

Greenghost,

I've been to Cook's Forest many times and seen those trees that you speak of, they're very impressive! You're right on, the forest floor is very dark in some areas, others not so much. I've also found plenty of forest in the ANF like that too. Maple Creek is lined with some of the biggest Mountain Laurels I've ever seen. Ever fished there?

The Potomac has areas were the Platanus are huge...6' DBH

I know one area near me that several big oaks are..also not far from the river.

I was hiking yesterday putting up a deer stand and found some huge Oaks...5' DBH

Big trees are amazing..

Speaking about trees and all....remember not to move firewood around...many invasive insects pose a huge threat to are woods..

Never bring wood from one area to another!

http://www.dontmovefirewood.org/protect-trees.html

Come south and see our live oaks-lol

Back