Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 26 »

Re: To count or not to count- that is the question.

From lancaster county
I will Jay and thanks. I havent gotten to fish Spring in my life as much as i should have. I have a lot to learn about that stream.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 11:39

From Delaware Co.
I'm a counter since I like to be competitive against others or myself . I almost always count when I fish for wild trout but rarely even think about it when I fish for stockies on Ridley . When fishing for smallies I almost always loose count after 10 but always remember the biggins .

Posted on: 2010/2/11 11:49

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
When fishing small wild trout streams, i fish very very fast. Ask anyone that has fished with me, i dont spend a lot of time in one place. On a small wild trout stream your fist 2 casts are very important. If you dont catch a brookie by then.........move on.

In the stream area pictured below, focusing on the pool at the bottom left part of the photo, it would take me at least 10-15 casts to be convinced that the fish I suspect are there are not interested in my offering. Talented anglers may be able to be confident that they showed their offering to all the fish with a proper presentation and drift in fewer casts.

If I already know my offering is good (because I have caught on it that day), I am not going to change flies to try to get the recalcitrant residents of that pool. My time is better used moving on.

Then again, If I had a nice fish show and I know his holding lie, I may change flies or stages of fly to see if I can get him.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 11:50

From chester county
I count, I lose track after 8 but I usually don't catch that many so it's not really an issue. I don't keep track of sunfish or chubs unless it's a really slow day or I'm trying to see if I can get 25 in an hour or 50 in a day or something like that. If I'm not doing well, even on most medium sized creeks, I don't hesitate to move.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 11:51

From Gettysburg
I usually don't keep count unless it's a year in which I keep a fishing journal (like 2009). Since I keep a journal only about once every 3-4 years, most years keeping count doesn't matter to me. I have even considered dropping fish count when I keep a journal but since I have always counted fish, and my fly fishing journals go back to 1983, I feel I ought to maintain fish count just to preserve my journals' integrity.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 12:03

From lancaster county
Jack,

You are probably right.

I often make on average about 3-4 casts into a pool like that if nothing has taken the fly. Also i will make more on cold days as the fish are slow.

On a warm day it will just be a few.

On Limestone Spring Creeks i will work holes even more. These fish are very selective when compared to mountain freestone trout. That just comes down to available food source.

Iam probably sometimes, over confident in my abilities to get a fish to strike. Im sure i have missed several fish, along with some of the nicest fish in the stream using my method. But i do usually do very well the way i handle small streams.

It really does come down to confidence and ability. Im not saying that any given angler shouldnt work a hole much more than i do. But still, your first and second casts are the most important no matter how you do it.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 12:20

I carry a Netbook with TroutTracker software. Different company than the one that makes WhackemStackem software. I think that's Nugent Inc.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 12:29

From Enola, Pa.
I start out counting but sometimes I lose count. I don't blame anyone for counting fish, For years I keep a log, part of it was how many I caught. My mind ain't what it use to be so, I lose count, most of the time.

Count them if you want!

Paul G

Posted on: 2010/2/11 12:33

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

sundrunk wrote:
I stop counting after 10

I start counting at 10.

10, 15, 20... i caught 30.

I only count the ones that go home with me. anything else is a guess.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 12:35

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

sundrunk wrote:
I stop counting after 10

I start counting at 10.

10, 15, 20... i caught 30.

I only count the ones that go home with me. anything else is a guess.

Dave do you go trout fishing ?

Posted on: 2010/2/11 12:40

From NW PA
I keep track of how many fish I catch throughout the day, so that when I get home I can answer my girlfriend how many fish I caught. Same with fishing friends and relatives that knew I would be on a certain piece of water that day. After a month or so I forget. Now I just remember numbers as "a lot" or "a few", and honestly, a lot and a few could both be 4, or 5 or 7. I know that I've caught a lot of fish on Kinzua creek during the E. alba hatch before, but I couldn't tell you if "a lot" was 7 or 27.

I absolutely remember numbers when they have a sense of accomplishment to me, like the day I caught two 6in browns on the Neshannock on a dry fly more than two weeks before the statewide opener (yes, it was the DHALO area). Or the first fish I caught on a fly (and the next 3), a brown bivisible, all the same day.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 13:06

From PA and NH
The only one I count is the first, the rest are a gift. Of course I don't ignore the others or the LDR's but the first of the day makes the preparation all worth while. I move when I want to, hopefully the rest of the crew doesn't follow too closely.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 14:21

From Harrisburg
I counted for so many years that even when I consciously made myself stop to absorb more of the surroundings, I subconsciously kept a tally. I too lose exact count when it gets into double-digits though. Counting isnt as effective a tool as it used to be.
Although I know when days should be above average and below average fishing wise, it turns out that on SOME days you will kill them or get skunked no matter what history shows.
Part of the draw to the sport I guess.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 14:28

From aliquippa
i used to count when i first started ff, i thought that if i didn`t catch anything that i wasn`t successful, now even if i get a rise or refusel to my fly im satisfied , as far as how long at one spot, as long as there is one trout rising i will try every fly and different position`s to see if i can catch it

Posted on: 2010/2/11 14:42

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

jrcll wrote:
as long as there is one trout rising i will try every fly and different position`s to see if i can catch it

Welcome to the Dry Fly Snob Club. There are more than a few of us on here.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 15:00

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
162 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com