HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Tippet size; it's your thing!

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
dub, the fundamental question is whether those fish are tippet shy, or drag shy. Nobody doubts that they're "something" shy.

If it's truly seeing the tippet that spooks them, then your only recourse is to try to make the tippet invisible, by going smaller, or switching to fluoro, etc.

or change the angle to a 'fly first' approach i.e. long lead from upstream .

with frog pond fish, i have some success with snake river mud on the tippet right up to the fly and a reach or curve cast that i snap before it settles.

frog pond fish are the toughest though, i'd be more likely to swing a small wet or induced take a nymph to be honest - especially where theres a chance of a 16" plus fish or two about.

maybe i need softer hands lol.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 17:38

It's the presentation more than the tippet size, and wetting the surface of the tippet helps. English dry fly guys always have red fingers from rubbing mud on their tippets and it works. Any size tippet on the surface will create a line. Loop knots also help the fly move a little more freely and that is the approach fishermen around Reno use on gin clear tailwaters. Last July the fisherman on the Saucon were debating whether you needed to go 7X or 8X for the tricos and I kept the 5X on and seemed to catch as many as anyone. That said, 22 is the smallest hook I use anymore. In the last 5 years I have only deviated once and that was when my buddy was killing them on 26 midges while I couldn't get a tap. Couldn't take it and had to bum a 26 fly and drop down to 6x.

My view is use the heaviest tippet that will fool the fish. Up on the East and West Branch of the Delaware when the going gets tough in late season I rarely go below 5x and try to stay at 4x. However, a downstream drift with a good reach cast is almost essential. The fly better get there before the tippet when they are snooty - and the fly better go right over their head.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 21:11

From Elizabethtown
What happened to all the people that say you "can't fish central PA spring creeks with anything larger than 7x"

Posted on: 2013/4/29 21:49

I fish some of the S. Central PA creeks and catch my fare share of fish but I would not consider myself an expert. I also know a thing or two about playing larger fish on lite tippets. In the summer time I fish small flys very seldom anything larger then a size 20 and often down to size 26. Mostly 7x tippet but have been know to go down to 8x. and yes sometimes it is more effective. I also have a number of rods in the 2wt to 4wt range that can handle this combination. So my two cents is. In the right streams under the right conditions 7x & 8x tippet is quite effective and if you have the correct tools and no how to use them great then do it.

Bill

Posted on: 2013/4/30 6:29

From Johnstown, PA
I agree with Bill 100% , go to Clarks DH in August and stick with 4x and have fun. Meanwhile i'm going to 8x and size 24 flies and i'll catch more ......without a doubt.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 8:38

From Souderton PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
dub, the fundamental question is whether those fish are tippet shy, or drag shy. Nobody doubts that they're "something" shy.

If it's truly seeing the tippet that spooks them, then your only recourse is to try to make the tippet invisible, by going smaller, or switching to fluoro, etc.

But if they are drag shy, then going smaller in tippet will absolutely help with drag issues. So will increasing the tippet length. So will going to a softer tippet material. So will adjusting the leader construction. So will adjusting the mechanics of the cast, as well as the angle of the cast. And many would prefer to do any of the latter before resorting to 7x and 8x tippets.

You probably have heard the stories about George Harvey sticking pieces of heavy monofilament into live beetles and watching trout snap them off the surface without noticing the obvious "tippet" sticking out of their butts. He also is rumored to have fished tricos on 3x to prove the point that drag, and more importantly micro-drag is the culprit. Given all the stuff floating around most streams a fish that is tippet shy would soon starve.
Someone said they don't always want the fly to turn over because it can pile up and create a slack cast. Maybe, but you are sacrificing accuracy and the fly might not be landing right if it does not turn over. Using the hook size to tippet charts posted earlier and making allowances for fly density, wind, etc is the best way to insure that the fly is presented properly. You want the leader to turn over, but you also want to be able to use a slack cast to throw some s-curves in the leader and tippet to delay the onset of micro-drag. Pcray alluded to the fact that the stiffness of the tippet is a function of both the diameter and the length of the section. So you can go from 5X down to 7X by adding 12 inches of 6X and 20 inches of 7X, or you could just extend your 5X segment 30 or 40 inches and achieve practically the same results.
Of course, if your catching fish and enjoying the process, then you don't need to change a thing.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 20:22

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com