HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: The PFBC is Puzzling...Question About Stocking Wild Streams
From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
I can understand some of the urban fisheries being stocked. The ones in park systems where there are tons of open space for anglers to use. I completely understand that. Po still makes no sense.

You want to know why the Po gets such high angler use on the first day? Pretty simple really. There are 2 streams in the Lehighton area. There are more, but these are the two main ones. Pohopoco and Mahoning. They are less then 5 miles away from each other, yet opening day is different. Mahoning opens the first opener and Po the second. I guarantee if both those streams were opened the same weekend, angler traffic would be cut in half. The meat hunters would be sooooo torn on which one to go to. You give them both on seperate openers and they can just hit each one.

Shane,

I no nuthin bout your waters but from your description above, the po will be stocked for a long time. I recall it being on the "list" so just be glad it will receive only preseason stocking IIRC.

Here in York we have really only two "close" trout streams the EB and SB Codorus. ALthough Both harbor wild trout one pretty good density, they will be NEVER be removed from the list of ATWs and if so will always receive an inseason stocking and Co-op stockings.

But after the middle of may the pressure is reduced to just a few anglers per week and the little wild trouts come out to play. You could argue that the wild trout would be more abundant if not stocked but I would disagree. I think the collateral damage to wild trout is less than what would occur if stocking were to halt in suburban areas.

Posted on: 12/15 18:23

Quote:

fishfuzz wrote:

BrookieChaser – How valuable is a wild trout stream to the PFBC? They may get 10% of their license sales (if they are lucky) from wild trout fishermen. I am with you and agree wild trout streams are a great resource. They deserve protection and are already protected by the PFBC and DEP. However, if you think the general public cares about the value of wild trout show up to a stocking or read HB 1576.

First off how valuable are wild trout to the PFBC? According to this they are pretty valuable: - Taken form the PFBC Trout Management Plan -
The “Resource First” philosophy further establishes the ethical principle that the agency’s primary role is that of a conservation organization. Accordingly, its responsibility extends beyond merely providing fishing and boating opportunities to the public. Rather, it establishes a commitment to optimizing those opportunities through the application of good science throughout the Commonwealth. It also establishes the firm expectation that the agency will:
1. Not engage in or support activities or regulations that may bring undue harm to its aquatic resources.

2. Constantly strive to develop and improve upon its ability to make scientifically-informed decisions on the impact of various regulations and practices on the aquatic resources it is charged to protect.

4. Provide the basis for protecting and enhancing viable wild fisheries and other resources under the agency’s jurisdiction.

Remember money isn't everything. Money has destroyed it's fair share of PA's natural resources. Just so we have information correct, it's 1% of trout anglers report fishing exclusively for wild trout, 34% fish exclusively for pelletheads, and the remaing 65% fish for both.

As for the general public comment, I'll be blunt with you, the general public is ignorant.

Posted on: 12/15 21:28

The PFBC can keep stocking my class A wild trout streams all they want. Since they make me buy a trout stamp to fish for wild fish I’ll just keep feeding the raccoons, one limit of pellet heads at a time.

Posted on: 12/15 22:29

From United States
I understand the question. We are blessed in this state to have many streams. I don't think you need to provide both stocked and wild trout in the same stream. A short drive will result in Joe fisherman putting himself on a stream worthy of stocking. The number of streams capable of producing wild trout are far fewer than the ones capable of temporarily holding stocked trout populations. I think the question should be why stock trout in a stream capable of producing a wild trout population. To realize the potential of a stream it should not be stocked. We should maximize our resources but not for us in spite of the fish.

Posted on: 12/15 22:38
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From NorthCentral PA
Stenonema nailed it, I agree 100%

Posted on: 12/16 20:27

From Bethlehem, PA
i'll only add 2 things to this discussion:

1. The streams in question will be listed as "CLASS A" officially, which will offer them greater protection, and when you are talking about Lehigh Valley Streams, that is a big deal.

2. If streams have a "CLASS A" bio-mass, ie. enough naturally reproducing trout to sustain a fishery, why add more? I will concede that in the very heavily fished LV streams it might make sense, so keeping the pre-season stocking is a good compromise.

I believe the WCO that spoke at our TU meeting mentioned that they did post opening day angler counts to see how many people this would effect. He seemed to think that was a limited amount. I tend to agree but that is based only on my experience.

Sounds like a decent compromise to me. Better protection for the stream and the continuation of stocking for opening day guys.

my .02

Posted on: 12/16 20:38

From SCPA
Here's the proposed rule change from PFBC website regarding the stocking of Class A streams. Looks like if a Class A stream has historically been stocked, and has high angler usage, it will continued to be stocked.

Posted on: 12/20 10:02

From Waynesboro
Stocking trout in a class A or wild trout stream is a bad idea and all but means death for the wild trout population. The average population of angling Yinzers don't know the difference and will bonk them all on the head.

Posted on: 12/20 12:56

From Lancaster County
Quote:

EBCK wrote:
Stocking trout in a class A or wild trout stream is a bad idea and all but means death for the wild trout population. The average population of angling Yinzers don't know the difference and will bonk them all on the head.

Except the majority of the streams that are included in the proposal have been in the position of having wild trout being stocked over, probably for years. And they are still Class A, in spite of the stocking. The proposal becomes a reasonable compromise between biology and public angler perception, the latter which often trumps biology. I'd be fine if they didn't stock the streams in question, but I don't believe that formalizing what they are already doing spells the death knell for the wild fish.

Posted on: 12/20 13:00

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

EBCK wrote:
Stocking trout in a class A or wild trout stream is a bad idea and all but means death for the wild trout population

This is not true at all and pretty ridiculous to even spout off about.

Posted on: 12/20 13:01

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Waynesboro
How do you figure? Take a look around.

Posted on: 12/20 13:04

Bwhahaha really? My God.......

Posted on: 12/20 13:05

From Philly
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 12/20 13:17

From Waynesboro
Haha really? That's not exactly an answer. There used to be three streams in my neighborhood. Said streams had a very healthy population of wild, naturally reproducing brown trout. Streams had been discovered by your average powerbait weilding yinzer and completely wiped out. The only thing left are empty containers of nightcrawlers and tangles of broken off line and baithooks hanging from the trees. so yea, lets stock the wild water, put it on the stocking report and watch the carnage thats sure to follow. Its simple, keep wild and hatchtards seperate.

Posted on: 12/20 13:20

For record, I am against stocking wild streams. Your stance of it wiping out wild trout is pretty ridiculous. For instance the streams we are discussing in this thread are all stocked class a waters. They have been stocked class a waters for a very long time and continue to be class a. Anglers will never clean out a stocked stream if it has a healthy population of wild trout. Is there a chance they put a dent in the the population? Sure, a very small dent.

Most of us feel stopping the stocking of class a will create an even larger population of wild trout. This is what we would like to see. Also, most of us are in acceptance of a few of these streams to receive a single stocking before opening day to keep anglers in the area happy, because of their location in park systems and having large angler density in the area.

Your thoughts on wild trout completely disappearing due to stocking is simply ridiculous.

Btw....name those streams. You have nothing to lose such there are no longer fish in them. There are many anglers in here from your area and can either refute your claims or agree with you. If it is the former, I will apologize and change my whole outlook on this situation.

Posted on: 12/20 13:46

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com