The Mother of All Fly Catalogs

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I Got mine. I know most of you youngins tie your own but the eyes and hands at 60 are only good for tying flys with clothes line.

"And I feel much the same way looking through The Fly Shop Catalog. Only now, as a magazine editor, I'm actually amazed and envious when a 180-page print product comes to me in the mail. This catalog is an artifact, worthy of prime placement on the commodes of respectable fishing cabins from coast to coast."

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fishing/2011/02/mother-all-fly-catalogs

I don't tie. I spend a ton of money at that site and I never got a catalog. I'd like a catalog. Complete BS imo.

Guess they know what there doing with their marketing but I don't think I fit into anyones marketing strat plans.

When I get a catalogue the go straight into the recycling bin- seems like a colossal waste to me but again I assume they know what there doing with this strategy.

People are fascinated with gear and new and improved. I did cycle through a decent amount of gear but have settled on setups and rods etc... They are 5 plus years old and work perfect and never feel the need to look for more now.

JasonS wrote:
I don't tie. I spend a ton of money at that site and I never got a catalog. I'd like a catalog. Complete BS imo.

Go to the Fly Shop web page and there is a button to click on to get the catalog mailed to you.

Jason,

Do you frequent TheFlySHOP as Fade referenced or TheFlySTOP. TheFlySTOP doen't have a catalog

The Fly Shop catalog and Feather-craft catalog are my favorites. I order a lot more from FC and always online but sometimes its easier to find something in the catalog.

I got the Fly Shop catalog on Saturday. I like browsing through it, especially on a crappy day off. Their cheap rod looks nice; $129 and you get an extra tip and a rod/reel case instead of a tube.

Their cheap rod looks nice; $129 and you get an extra tip and a rod/reel case instead of a tube.

yes, they do look nice. the reel and rod combo seem pretty decent as well. Has anyone had them? any good??

I have gotten a couple fly shop catalogues in the mail. I always look forward to the one from Flyfishers Paradise, where I buy most of my stuff. I also got the one from The Fly Shop, and if we're all talking about the same outfit, it appears to be a Western version of the evil empire in quite a few ways. I do not plan to buy one thing from them -- ever.

i must have got jasons' this year i got 2 each of j stockard and the fly shop also a few from feather craft

rrt wrote:
I have gotten a couple fly shop catalogues in the mail. I always look forward to the one from Flyfishers Paradise, where I buy most of my stuff. I also got the one from The Fly Shop, and if we're all talking about the same outfit, it appears to be a Western version of the evil empire in quite a few ways. I do not plan to buy one thing from them -- ever.

Flyfishers Paradise recently came out with their new catalog.

Are there any other PA fly shops that have catalogs?

troutbert wrote:

I can't see a lot of folks shift to catalogs in this digital age.

Yeah, I just got my FFP catalog as well. I feel bad cause I'm not sure whether to make my yearly order, or wait till the VF show and pick it up cheaper there. I'm inclined to do the latter, but then anything I don't get, there won't be much time to order and get tied.

Wish the VF show were earlier. Chose not to go to Somerset cause of the closer option, but its throwing a crimp in my routine!

jdaddy wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I can't see a lot of folks shift to catalogs in this digital age.

Dear jdaddy,

And I can't see myself buying anything of significance from someone who doesn't have a catalog and a brick and mortar shop.

"Different strokes, for different folks, and so on and so and scooby dooby dooby."

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

troutbert wrote:
rrt wrote:

I believe that Steve mentioned on the FFP web site that this will be the last year for their catalog.

Kettle Creek tackle shop was still about the only fly shop around -at least that I know of - that didn't have a website, and still used a catalog only

I have bought many LL Bean items in their store, and all of them in the fly fishing section.

I get 83 new LL Bean catalogues a month, mostly clothing, and have never received any fly fishing catalogue.

I also never receive Cabela's coupons. I must not be a big enough spender there. OK I take too much back.

albatross wrote:
Jason,

Do you frequent TheFlySHOP as Fade referenced or TheFlySTOP. TheFlySTOP doen't have a catalog

Good call. I was confusing the fly stop with the fly shop.

albatross wrote:
Jason,

Alb..I also shop the Fly Stop but have found the flies to unravel after an hour of fishing. Anyone else have that experience?

Fade wrote
Alb..I also shop the Fly Stop but have found the flies to unravel after an hour of fishing. Anyone else have that experience?

I'm generally very happy with the quality of fly one gets for the price from TheFlyStop. If the fly is one third the price and lasts half or 2/3 as long as the more expensive fly, its a good deal.

The only problem I've had with FlyStop flies is the dries may be tied on a heavier hook than is ideal causing them not to float as well as I'd like. I've found this on sulpher comparaduns in particular. Less of an issue with flies that float real well anyway (catskills and parachutes). I particularly like their nymphs.

I do like the printed receipts FLY Stop gives you. For *oops and giggles I insert my Order the day after someone stole my vest when I was fishing the Brandywine and I had to start from scratch.

Attachments

• 062110 fly stop order-001.jpg
    062110 fly stop order-001.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 062110 fly stop order-002.jpg
    062110 fly stop order-002.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 2
I've bought lots of flies from The Fly Stop, and I've never had any problems with them falling apart. I fish lots of weight and get hung up on the bottom a lot, too. They're good flies, IMO.

Back