Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 24 »

Re: The future of fly-fishing

NOAA is asking anglers who fish tidal water to register, it is voluntary, but a Penna Tidal license would raise funds 2 ways. 1, it would raise money via a license fee, make it minimal, and it would raise additional national funds from the excise tax already imposed on equipment purchased that the state will never receive because it doesn't currently have a license requirement for tidal water.
A side issue to the private water thing is that anglers in general and Fly-fishermen in particular have sat on their collective hands from as long as I can remember about the access issue. State T.U. finally has an access committee, but I don't think they have been effective yet, and I think they are going about it all wrong. And my comments to the committee have fallen on deaf ears or worse been ignored.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 16:09

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I like Chaz's idea, but they have to be careful to keep the fee minimal. If they get a lot of interest, its tough to keep a low fee and control the number of people. But yeah, I'm not opposed to a situation by a public entity like that, provided it's only a few places and doesn't become the standard for management.

As for Orvis, I certainly don't have a legal issue with that, unless the water is indeed public. I do have a business/moral issue with it. If they made a business decision to screw all the everyday fishermen and cater to the private resort part of the business, then so be it and good luck to them. But as an everyday angler who is put off by the "resort" concept, I can then say that by buying Orvis products, I'm contributing to the privatizing of the fisheries, and choose not to buy their products.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 16:10

Posted

Don't own property on a stream or river but if I did I am sure I would not feel to great about having strangers wandering around on my property.

I do beleive that the majority of anglers are respectful; however, that will always be overshadowed by the 5% that pee or poop in plain view of residences or leave trash/fire rings or scream obscenities. You know when your trying to have a birthday party for your 7 year old daughter.

If that happened once or twice to me I would be heading to Lowes for the Posted signs.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 9:45

Re: Posted

From harlansburg
I agree with you A-kid. if I owned stream frontage, I'd be torn on the issue. maybe do what some friends I know do, they have property on penns, they do post it, but will allow access if they are asked. they just like to meet and shake hands with the folks who are going to fish from their property.
I know other people closer to where I live that have had anglers actually use their picnic tables that are near the creek. needless to say, they post the property now and frown on letting anyone access. I don't blame them. people have to learn to respect others property. private means private, if you don't have the deed, your not allowed unless posted otherwise. when in doubt, ask permission, it never hurts or costs anything to ask. as for these big dollar clubs and stream leases, not much we can do about them, if they own the property surrounding a stream, they control it, if we want control of it, we should have bought it. there is plenty of public land, state and federal, in this state to keep any angler busy for a lifetime. groups such as tu do help gain access. near me, the neshannock chapter works with a landowner, a beagle club, that owns property along cool spring creek to allow access. if one day the club decides to close it to fishing, oh well, it's their property, that's the way it is. they must not have liked the cookies the club gave them for christmas!!

Posted on: 2010/2/16 10:01

From Bozeman
I would probably post my land as well in the situations Paul mentions, but there is nothing more vile looking than posted signs and fences IMO.

Case in point: The guy that owns that short stretch below the paradise. What kind of nutjob takes some of the prettiest stream front land around and proceeds to surround it with prison fences? I will never understand.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 10:04

Jay- yea signs are ugly but it because of the 5%.

Maybe you should wade over and knock on the door to ask permission.

biker- that makes sense. I have asked permission from landowners a handful of times. Some let you on no problem and some don't.

One time a guy(who let me and some buddies on) had an awesome set up- picnic table/pavillion and THE best port-a-jon I had ever been in. It was very clean, had a stack of magazines, a snap-on calender,bug spray and a deoderant spray. Beautiful part of the stream too.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 10:11

that stretch below the Paradise used to be owned by retired fish commission guys?

I am sure you all notice that fee fly fishing lodges highly advertise "corporate" which means we subsidize

Posted on: 2010/2/16 10:25

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From harlansburg
I'm just grateful of the wonderful fishing opportunities we have around us, and all over this country, we have SOOOO much public land, something europe and england do not have. most fishing is done on private leases, hunting also. lets hope this country never gets to that point, but with all the public lands we have, I kinda doubt it ever will.
with thousands of miles of public streams in this state along, I'm not gonna get worked up about a few miles of it being private. hey, think of it in reverse, it keeps those idiots off our waters!!!

Posted on: 2010/2/16 10:50

OK lets say the state's financial state worsens and it will, a high end club offers two million for either the Spring Creek access or the Gorge on the Little "J" present this to the voters.

What chance do we have?

Posted on: 2010/2/16 11:24

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From Bozeman
There is no way the public lets that land go for a private fishing club for $2m.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 11:35

From harlansburg
you can join the club that bought it. that's about it. I think it would be wrong to make laws allowing access on private property, kinda goes against what the word private means. I don't want people hanging out in my yard, drinking beer, littering, taking a piss. no way. I don't think anyone else does either. I guess if that would happen, the sale could be worded to always allow access, but can the state hire good enough lawyers to word it correctly? I'm sure the private club has some good ones as members already.
I guess the future of flyfishing will be in the hands of the lawyers
lets just hope something like that never happens LJ.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 11:40

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

littlejuniata wrote:
OK lets say the state's financial state worsens and it will, a high end club offers two million for either the Spring Creek access or the Gorge on the Little "J" present this to the voters.

What chance do we have?

Revolution happens, that's what happens..

Posted on: 2010/2/16 11:42

From lancaster county
2M is better spent in the West.

I think LJ, your might be a bit over worked up on this. There is only one fishing club in PA you gotta really worry about. And as much as they stink.....you can smell them coming from far away

Posted on: 2010/2/16 11:45

From harlansburg
another thing, the state will lease the land to them, just like the natural gas leases. letting someone use OUR land for personal reasons(fishing, profit, whatever),
I see no difference in leasing state land to a fishing club for private use or to a gas company for exploitation. either way we, as citizens of this state, are losing. we let the gas companies take our resources for profit and we let a fishing club take our resourses for profit.
it COULD happen. scary.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 11:45

Well lets see some group makes a proposal to buy the Gorge or Spring Creeks FISHING RIGHTS ONLY for ?????? dollars

beautifully worded proposal on the ballot.......... proceeds to go to (insert feel good entity)

what percent of the voting population would oppose it??

The Goldmans Sachs Home Waters yea that would be a proper name

all Pa state pols fish and booze free

well ya could walk along and watch them fish

Wake up guys

Posted on: 2010/2/17 9:00

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 24 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com