Thanks for Spring crk help.

Lance

Lance

Just wanted to a drop a quick thank you to those that helped out with my questions over the past month!

My daughter and I came over this past Sunday/Monday for our trip with the planned highlight of the trip being to fish Spring Creek Monday morning in an effort to get her into her first stream trout on the fly. To put it simply we had a great time. We got to the stream a little later than I wanted to and I left the choice of where to fish up to her. She decided she didn't want to wade so we fished at Paradise. The grass was soaked with dew and she got really unhappy so we went and walked the hatchery first, on the way across the bridge she had a male trico spinner land on her shirt, which was cool but that was the extent of what we did with trico's for the day. lol
They guys at the hatchery were great and gave a bucket full of fish food and were more than happy to answer her questions. She also got to see them taking eggs from the rainbows as an added bonus. :-D After walking around the hatchery and it was back to the stream. We found her some active trout and got at it. With a little persistence she caught herself a nice rainbow of about 12" on a #14 ant, She was a pretty happy girl(not to mention dad!). Unfortunately dad blew the photo op by dropping the fish in the water after landing it. :roll: She hooked a couple others that she lost and had a great time. I managed to get time to fish as well and managed one on a #16 beetle and lost a couple more on an #18 midge larva.

Thanks again for the help!

Lance,
Sounds like you had a great day - glad to hear it.

So, your daughter caught her first fly rod trout on a dry fly then?
Nice!
I did the same thing with my 10 year old grandaughter a few weeks ago. Took her to dunbar creek, and she caught her first fly rod trout on a #14 crowe beetle.
When I asked her to hold it up for a picture, she didn't want to touch the fish, so we had to leave it in the net for the picture.
She also had several more on that she lost.
And, after about 2 hours on the stream, she had had enough. So, we then spent the rest of the day at the fayette county fair, which was nearby.

Back