From Monessen, PA
Stunningly beautiful.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 11:14

Re: Switzerland

From Hagerstown, MD
Wow...amazingly beautiful place.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 15:19

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Ed, Pascal is a Swiss mountain boy. More than met my match, haha. I was the one who was running out of gas late in the day!

wgmiller, While the fishing situation was indeed different than PA, you are right, we are blessed with a wide variety of waters here. From big rivers in drift boats, to technical fishing on limestone spring creeks, to pocket water nymphing in brawling rapids, to overgrown mountain freestoners where it may not be technical, but one must negotiate and cast in tight spots. Plus add steelhead, big and small river smallmouth, etc. You are correct in saying that if you can manage in anything that PA has to offer, you can fish anywhere in the world and not make an idiot of yourself! Perhaps the one "style" we lack is much in the way of saltwater. Though we can get that pretty close. But if there's any type of fly fishing where I'd feel totally lost it'd be saltwater flats.

Always interesting to compare yourself against fishermen from different areas. I don't know how much was "guide talk" and how much was accurate, but Pascal praised my skills. I think it was partly accurate, in that as a guide in a touristy location, he gets as many rich guys who fancy themselves as fisherman as he does actual fisherman. Such places would not be so kind to the tweed wearing chalk stream types. But yeah, "guide talk" likely exaggerated the effect a bit.

But a PA small stream background is close enough that even if a little out of my element, the same skills applied. And Pascal would likewise do better on our smaller, brushier waters than many accomplished PA fishermen would.

He did delight in the bow and arrow cast, and picked out many nearly impossible "caves" for me to try to stick a fly into.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 18:36

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Very cool you got the chance to do that Pat, and as the others have said, the pictures are phenomenal. Was it an attractor dry deal like Brookies, hatch matching, nymphs?

Posted on: 2013/7/14 19:54

From Ferguson Twp.
To be able to fish somewhere like that and have someone else foot the bill to get there is too cool. That had to be an amazing experience, the pictures say it all and yet not enough at the same time. Congrats Pat.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 5:15

From Harrisburg
Good for you Pat. Surely an experience that wont be forgotten.
Man those mountains are something.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 5:57

From harlansburg
yoddelyaheehoo!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/15 6:06

From SW PA
Wow, Great pics! Congratulations on an epic outing! Those mountains are even more impressive than Biker actually spelling yoddelyaheehoo!? (I'd never even attempt that)

Posted on: 2013/7/15 6:24

Quote:
Was it an attractor dry deal like Brookies, hatch matching, nymphs?

Was an attractor situation. I started with a wulff, and spent most of the day with a hopper with foam body. Better flotation. My understanding is that, like PA, the more lowland streams have a lower gradient and more bug life, and thus become more a hatch matching situation. But this stream was very fast, and the fish aggressive and non-picky.

The difference being that the spots to hit were much smaller. For instance, in PA, it is often so thick that it's difficult to put a fly in a pool. But if you do, it doesn't matter where, a fish will go several feet for it. There, casting was a little easier. Still tight, but not among the tightest I have fished. However, being so fast, a fish can only see the surface in a very small window, so you had to be pinpoint accurate. Often within an inch or two.

Nymphs would have probably caught more fish. Many places that had too much white water to see surface. But would have been less fun.

Pascal uses long rods. I had a 9 footer. While it was a bit unwieldy to cast in tighter spots, I can see why. Smaller windows, more current, meant that drag was more of an issue than on PA's streams, so you had to lift that line above the currents, and sometimes guide the fly into place. For me, it meant plenty of bow and arrowing...

Posted on: 2013/7/15 7:54

From Southwestern NY
Pat, That's phenomenal, glad you were able to get to that. though sorry to say after seeing what was behind you the entire time, if i were you i would have cried. fishing is awesome, but there are far better things to do just behind you, if it had snow on it! and just where you were i could see 20-30 different lines, per photo!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/15 8:37

From Ephrata, PA
Pat are most of the small streams up in the "hills" white water like that? Was it kind of a shock for you at first to not have pools?

Posted on: 2013/7/15 8:40

DJ, not much of a skier/snowboarder, personally. Though the guide also does skiing/snowboard guiding. And there are ski resorts everywhere, gondola's everywhere, and it was fairly cheap to hire a helicopter out of Interlaken to take you wherever you wish. The high peaks were snow/glacier covered. Yes, in winter, it is a snow sports paradise.

I did paragliding, that was as extreme as I got.

Squatch, only fished 1 stream, so I dunno for sure. I think many are. I also think there are a few exceptions, or at least sections of streams which are exceptions.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 8:48

From Ephrata, PA
Has your guide ever fished over here? It'd be cool to bring him over and have him see our small streams. It's awesome how the fish can look the same, but the enviroment is so different.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 8:55

From South Central,PA
Amazing! I hope to someday be able to go somewhere so beautiful!

Posted on: 2013/7/15 9:36

From Southwestern NY
Quote:
Though the guide also does skiing/snowboard guiding

the best life ever!

Quote:
I did paragliding, that was as extreme as I got.

GNARLY BRAH!!!

and it don't matter what ya did as long as you had fun!

Posted on: 2013/7/15 9:52

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com