Summer Water Temperature Thread

T

troutbert

I thought it might be "cool" to have a thread where people post water temperatures they find on different streams and rivers during hot summer weather.

Not just on trout streams. It would be interesting to see how warm smallmouth bass waters get in the summer too.

I'm not sure exactly when the maximum temps occur, but probably sometime in late afternoon. Here's a start:

Spring Creek, above Bellefonte, was 74F at 4:45 pm.

Bald Eagle Creek, above where Spring Creek flows in, was 86F at 5:15 pm.

If you take water temps, post 'em up!

On Thursday during mi-dafternoon, I checked Letort.

Air temp was well into the ninties. At Bonneybrook, it was 56 degrees; downstream at the falls at the mouth, it was 66 degrees.

Conodoguinet Creek, above where Letort comes in, was 80 (lots of kids swimming and tubing in the Connie).

Prof said Valley was 64 or 68 on July 4th

I fished a Carbon county freestone yesterday and it was a cool 60F. The browns were more than willing.

The hottest part of the day now is right around 4pm.
And the stream temps seem to peak a short while later - staying there through the evening and starting to fall again after dark.

To be consistent, how far down in the water column should measurements be taken? There could be decent variation depending on depth measured.

I bought a thermometer a few years back and it was well worth it.

I always try to check water temps on the bottom of the stream - in a spot out a ways from the shoreline where there's some current.
Checking it in shallow, non-moving water along the shore will usually show higher numbers than the rest of the stream

I also try to find a place where the water has some current, rather than a slow backwater. Where the stream is flowing along, I think the water will be mixed, so pretty representative of the overall stream water temp.

Local warm water creek was 81 at 6:15pm last evening. Its flow was 70cfs so I kinda expected it to be warmer than that. Smallmouth fishing was pretty good. I had some of the strongest fights from the couple 14"ers i hooked.

Shermans Creek above Dromgolds was 84 degrees on Thursday July 5th in the afternoon.

Hand-guestimated the Susquehanna at City Island. About 88

Check the USGS site. Some stations show water temps. I saw that some major rivers were as warm as 32 deg C this week, which is beyond what is considered suitable habitat for juvenile smallmouth bass, ie stressful conditions may produce disease problems.

North Branch Susquehanna River, water temps are warmer than the air after 9pm, DUH

I fished a small freestoner in the southern pocono's on Friday. 54 in the morning, peaked at 59 in the afternoon.

Mike wrote:
Check the USGS site. Some stations show water temps. I saw that some major rivers were as warm as 32 deg C this week, which is beyond what is considered suitable habitat for juvenile smallmouth bass, ie stressful conditions may produce disease problems.

32 C = 89.6 F If I did the calculation right.

I've been fishing a limestoner the past couple weeks at night, water temp has been between 63 - 67. Fishing has been good and the trout are healthy.

troutbert wrote:
Mike wrote:

32 C = 89.6 F If I did the calculation right.

32 C X 1.8 + 32. You are correct, sir.

All that math is way beyond me; I'm not even allowed by my wife to add or subtract in our checking account ledger. I just know that fishing in water over about 68 degrees is probably pretty hard on the trout. I don't know much about bass temps.

Checked the Temp on the Quittaphillia in Lebanon County last night around 8 p.m.

I took measurements at the lower end of the park, at the bridge by the quarry entrance and at the next bridge downstream from that and all were 68 deg. F.

Not bad on the hottest day of the year, so far.

Shock wrote:
Not bad on the hottest day of the year, so far.

+1...shows what the Quittie could be. That's a little warmer than the highest temps I took on it last year during the heat waves, but still not bad.

Back