Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Stuff

From Johnstown, PA
I don't know if it's because i have to move slower along or if it's getting worse but i never saw so much fishing related junk/stuff laying around as i have this year. I take a plastic bag with me and fill it up each trip now...........maybe if we all did?

Posted on: 2013/4/15 6:15

Re: Stuff

From harlansburg
maybe if the F-n pigs would quit littering along the streams!

Posted on: 2013/4/15 6:28

From Chester County
I fished with my alter ego, Tom C / Afishn from Chester County, on the Monday after opening weekend. We hit a few places and ended fishing French Creek on the way home. I noticed there were "Posted" and "No Parking" signs along the road where everyone used to park and fish in years past. I shook my head and thought to myself, "what's the big deal about letting folks pull off a dirt road to park and fish." Anyway, we found a legal place to park and walked to the stream.

At one of the more popular fishing holes, I looked around on the bank and saw styrofoam bait containers, bags of corn, Pabst Blue Ribbon cans (both in the water and on the bank), lure boxes and of course, the ubiquitous red white and blue Eagle Claw hook packages. There were quite a few anglers there stepping over and around all the junk to fish.

Tom and I fished for a while, and before we left we got some plastic bags from the truck and hauled all the trash out of there. IMO, all the anglers that let that junk sit there all weekend (on someones property that allowed fishing yet!) are no better than the slobs that threw the stuff there. How could you blame anyone for posting their property, and don't blame the FBC for lost access to streams. Really sad.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 6:56

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Afish,

Are you talking about the section along French creek road, right downstream from the FFO? If so, that's ashame, although not suprising. Some nice water along that stretch, but people have been abusing it for years. Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't posted sooner. Might be time to lengthen the FFO section all the down to the next bridge.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 19:03

There are many stream cleanups this time of year.

Spring Creek's is this Saturday, April 15. From 8:30 am to about 11 or 12 or so.

I know that there is one on Penns Creek also, but I'm not sure of the date.

I'm sure there are many others around the state, so if you do a little checking you can probably find one in your area.

It's kind of fun doing the cleanups with a group of people.

And it makes a BIG difference doing that once a year. Many areas of Spring Creek are far less trashy than in the past.

Now if we could do something about all the mowing and cutting of vegetation along the stream. That is actually far more damaging than trash.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 20:22

From Ferguson Twp.
Got to respect other peoples property, and our public lands.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:03

From Ohio
Sad that people leave all that crap. I always grab as much as I can carry on the way back to the car. Once I hauled a surboard looking foam raft that was all water logged back to parking lot, damn thing weighed a ton. I must have carried it a half mile or more. I left it next to the trash can in the parking lot because it was too big to put in the can.

Attach file:

jpg  014a.jpg (157.29 KB)
3270_516caf86887f6.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2013/4/15 21:55

From Wrightsville
As sad as the trout streams are, the Susquehanna is so much worse. I'll pick up litter along the trout streams, but the river (not the flooding debris but the fisherman debris) is amazing.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:13

From Maytown, PA
I went out to the local lake today, an old quarry lake, and I could not get over how much fishing junk was laying around. I may take the kids back there for a trash pickup

Posted on: 2013/4/15 22:50

From Chester County
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Afish,

Are you talking about the section along French creek road, right downstream from the FFO? If so, that's ashame, although not suprising. Some nice water along that stretch, but people have been abusing it for years. Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't posted sooner. Might be time to lengthen the FFO section all the down to the next bridge.

Yes. A real shame.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 7:08

Penns Creek cleanup this Saturday. Coburn Park. 9am.

info at our PVCA page:

INFO

Posted on: 2013/4/16 9:52

Edited by afishinado on 2013/4/17 6:41:42

From Fleetwood, PA
This isn't fly fishing related but when I was younger about 14-16 I used to fish this local pond all the time. Some of the biggest large mouth I ever caught were in that pond. It was fantastic, until people started to litter to the point when the owner of the property no longer lets anyone fish there. It saddens me that this happens and I can no longer fish in one of my favorite spots.

It's good to know there are those willing to pick up after others to keep areas clean. Glad to see you guys are doing a part, even though you shouldn't have to.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 16:17

From Philadelphia PA
Normally there is one day put aside each year to do park cleanup.. PennyPack normally has it in May......I hope they understand that it takes much more than one day to cleanup after so many slobs leave their items behind. There are a few gents that fishes there all the time and put out plastic bags along routes. I fill them from time to time and sometimes take my own plastic bag with me. It takes about 10 minutes to fill one to bursting level. The environment thanks me for it!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/2 16:56
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

From Johnstown, PA
If each of us made it a habit to fill one of those plastic grocery bags and dispose of it properly each time we go , which takes about 5 minutes , you would notice the difference.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 8:05

Quote:

osprey wrote:
If each of us made it a habit to fill one of those plastic grocery bags and dispose of it properly each time we go , which takes about 5 minutes , you would notice the difference.

That's a good idea, but I think also organized annual cleanups help a great deal.

There are a lot of them around the state, so most people should be able to find one either near where they live, or on a stream they fish.

And people on here could organize a cleanup, using the forum. For example, several people mentioned French Creek as needing a cleanup. You could pick a Sat. morning, post it on here, and meet there with gloves and full sized garbage bags and go to it.

Even with a small group of people, 4 or 5 or so, and a fairly short period of time, about 2-3 hours, you can pick up a lot of garbage.

On the section of Spring Creek I helped on, we had 3 people working our side of the creek. The 3 of us picked up 12 full sized garbage bags of trash in the morning, in about 2 1/2 hours.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 8:30

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
31 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com