Stream Reports! What Stream Reports?

S

steve98

Hey All,

Althought I have not been able to get out there yet but will.
I always make it a point to post some kind of sttream report.
Water level, Water Temp, Weather in general
The stream I fished.

My point is I know many of you are out there fishing and the lack of stream reports leaves something to be desired.

Stream reports is the reason I really enjoy this Site
and why I continue to contribute info when I can.

I realize that a stream report can give up info u do not wish to share. I do not blame you there at all.

I am not looking to find out special spots or have anyone give stream section information.

I am just looking for section of the STATE.

Water Level, Water Clarity, Water FLOw may be some temps would be nice.

I cannot get out as often as some but when I do I relay on much of the information I get from this site. because it may determine when i do go, where I go , because the info on this site is some of the BEST and most reliable i can get before i go.

Just like CHRISTOPER WALKIN needed more COW BELL!
I need more STREAM REPORTS!

Steve98

Lately there has not been too much

hmmm, doesn't this post break the rules:

"Things that will not work: not naming your stream or location, only boasting about fish caught, spin and bait fishing reports, any rants, questions, requests for a report, or guide reports. Please use the other forums."

perhaps the reason you don't see as many posts is the rules require too much information. I myself will never post and name the stream and location. I would certainly give approximate location and anyone that has a clue should be able to figure it out...isn't that what fishing is all about?

Steve98 wrote: "Stream reports is the reason I really enjoy this Site.........Water Level, Water Clarity, Water FLOw may be some temps would be nice...."

Steve,

While I read stream reports, I usually rely mostly on the USGS site for up-to-date stream conditions to pick where to fish. It gives you exactly the info you mentioned ("Water Level, Water Clarity, Water FLOw may be some temps") all in real time.

As a matter of fact, I take the opposite approach; when I read a glowing stream report about someone catchin' a bunch of slammer fish on a certain stream, I usually AVOID fishing there. Here is the USGS site.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/current/?type=flow

Good luck.

afishinado wrote:

Steve,

While I read stream reports, I usually rely mostly on the USGS site for up-to-date stream conditions to pick where to fish. It gives you exactly the info you mentioned ("Water Level, Water Clarity, Water FLOw may be some temps") all in real time.

Would have been useless at the Jam...all gauges showed extremely high flows, yet all but Penns was in great shape. There has been much debate lately as to whether posting a decent report is kosher...I believe some, who may normally post them, may not be doing so to avoid public scorn from the complainers...

and, yeah, this should probably be moved to the general thread...

Tom,

I agree that numbers sometimes lie, but on my "home" streams, after watching the flow rates, how fast the stream rises and lowers, etc., and fishing them when taking note of the reading, I can usually tell what the conditions will be on the stream. I agree that it is only a very rough guideline for a stream I never or rarely fish. Also many times one fisherman's too low or too high is a perfect level for another fisherman. In addtion, I find less than ideal water (and weather) conditons a good time to plan a trip to a heavily fished stream since most anglers shy away from fishing under such conditions.

Stream reports have been sparse, probably for the reasons you mentioned, but it seems that anyone inquiring about a stream receives multiple posts with info about the stream.

Don't get me wrong...I use that site all the time...There is just that line between the guy who wants a first hand account and one who paranoid that someone is going to take a buss of people to his "secret" stream. I talked to a guy at the Jam who said someone told him not to go to Spring because it would be muddy...it was in great shape...bad advice...he never spoke to anyone who was actually there...guy drove all the way from N.C. Ran into him on Spruce sunday...

frankly, CFS means nothing to me if I've never been there before...but I know what "high and muddy" and "low and clear" and "a little high and slightly off color" mean.

I see no harm in giving that description, what bugs they might have seen and how cold the water is...telling me you caught 85 fish means nothing...I've been on the same stream 2 days in a row (two hours in a row sometimes for that matter) with completely opposite results...but a short statement of the condition of the stream is always nice...

You will never make everybody happy, so don't even worry about it.

Why I like stream reports;

-I learn about streams in other parts of the state. This is not kiss and tell. Laurel Hill is not a secret. But to some one from the Poconoes it is a foreign body of water and a stream report may prompt them to stop by the boy scout section if they are ever in South West PA.

-I love hearing about big fish and big fish days. I remember one from Joe Ike where he caught a 2foot holdover in a piece of water I drive over. It confirms the hope that on my next outing I could have a big fish or a big fish day and in potentially marginal water.

Being a data guy I also envision the following;

If everybody posted stream reports and did it consistantly and followed the format you could build a page on each stream. You would get an excellent idea of the bugs on that water, and when they hatch. How well it fishes in the summer or winter. And dare I dream but with enough data you could actually create trends and plan where and when to go. This is lofty but wow wouldn't that be cool?

Ryan, your "vision" is the reason Dave Kile started this entire web site and the reason he continues to maintain a Stream Report page as well as the reason he want threads in this section to be actually useful as a stream report. That said, I'll be moving this to the General Forum shortly.

Incidentally, I agree that the reason there are not more good reports is because those of us who would take the time to share information are not interested in hearing all the bellyaching when we happen to report on someone else's pet stream.

I'll confirm what Jack said. When I was new here, I posted a report after most outings. I no longer do, just to save myself the headache.

Anyone who thinks there is a secret stream or secret fishin' hole is dreamin'! :roll:

How many and How big the catch is the LAST thing I want from a stream report.
I do not want stream location
Just the name of the Stream, and the conditions, hatches is all I need.
The rest is for YOU to know and me to find out.
That is what it is all about, finding your OWN
Thanks
Steve 98

Before the site was in its current format I used to post stream reports all the time. Then I started getting PMs and emails from people telling me to stop posting about the particular streams. Its not like I was posting about secret honey holes either, it was usually Falling Spring, Yellow Breeches, and various stocked streams around the area. Never mentioned exact stretches either but apparently some people had a problem with it so I stopped and will never post them again.

I agree with Jack, JayL, and shipnfish as to why I don't post anymore. I fish mostly smaller ANF streams that many would get cranky about me posting. Almost all wild, with some natives. I can see there point....in the 25+ trips to PA took last year I saw only a handful of other fisherman total, excluding my trip to the yough. The trout caught outnumbered the fisherman seen by at least 10 to 1, and I had very few double digit fish days.

That being said, I have seen some sites where they limit the stream report viewing to logged in users and one with a section that is limite dto registered, logging in users with at least 50 posts. Tends to cut down on the paranoia.

"I have seen some sites where they limit the stream report viewing to logged in users and one with a section that is limite dto registered, logging in users with at least 50 posts. Tends to cut down on the paranoia."

That's not bad idea, actually. I'll send Dave Kile a PM about that.

Yes I like that idea also. Old Sal just might share more info if the board was more like that. :-D

I was just getting ready to post a stream report then I read this thread.
Posting stream reports to me is a way of sharing information with fellow flyfishers, for the most part I tell where, when, what and with what I caught fish. I like sharing info in the hope that it is a mutual relationship. If we are putting them back int the water anyway what is the difference.
I would be glad to share a stream with most of the guys on the board.

Buffalo

I think the current approach helps attract new members. Requiring a certain number of posts first seems somewhat unwelcome. Tends to reinforce the idea that fly fishing is an exclusive club.

tabasco_joe wrote:
I think the current approach helps attract new members. Requiring a certain number of posts first seems somewhat unwelcome. Tends to reinforce the idea that fly fishing is an exclusive club.

I agree with Joe, but I would like to see more contribution. I think the number of posts idea is a little much but keeping it to registration would place a comfort level on it as Sal suggests.

Good deliberation guys.

Back