Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Stocked Rainbows Spawn Successfully???

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
What i can't figure unless the strains are different, is western ny. has a lot of wild rainbows where pa doesn't. Chaz, not sure if chemistry has anything to with it. for example here in pa the Genesee and its branches are mainly brook and brown but once you get into ny. there are a few wild rainbow streams that feed into the genny...Seth green had a hatchery up that way and matbe it was the strain of bows he used..I've been looking into what streams up there have wild bows...I like them...Catherine creek is one good example, too..the geography from here to there is not that different...

Posted on: 2006/11/22 21:53

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

For the NJ perspective, NJ has a handful of streams where wild rainbows are dominant and the reasons, while not 100% clear, are mostly linked to stream chemistry. The acid pulse when snow melts in the spring (snow is frozen acid rain) seems to affect spring spawners more than fall spawners and so hurts wild rainbows more than brooks and browns. The best wild rainbow streams have lakes at the head which buffer the spring acid pulse in the upper spawning areas. While that is a reasonable point, it seems like there should be other factors too.

Another odd point is that wild rainbows seem to expanding their range in the upper Delaware system and in the Whippany R in NJ. Rainbows spawn fairly high up in the Willowemoc and show up all through the Beaverkill in the fall. They seem to move to Delaware in the summer. I haven't seen a good explanation for this.

Posted on: 2006/11/28 10:04

From Chester County
One explanation could be that the Willowemoc and Beaverkill warm up to well into the 70’s in the summer. The rainbows retreat to cooler water in the West Branch of the Delaware, and return in the fall when the temperatures cool down. Also, during cool water times, in the spring and fall, rainbows can be found on the main branch all the way down to Damascus and even Narrowsburg. As the water warms in early to mid summer, they migrate up to the cooler waters of the West Branch.

Rainbows, more than any trout, are more likely to move great distances to seek more favorable conditions, and have and the instinct to return to their spawning areas. I’ve caught some really nice wild rainbows on the Beaverkill and the East Branch in the spring. I haven’t done much fall fishing up there, but it would be a great time to tie into those rainbows. Good luck.

Posted on: 2006/11/28 10:44

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com