Stocked or Wild

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
here is a little quiz for you trout snobs. Identify the trout as wild or stocked. In order of appearance. This is an easy one.... but could be fun nonetheless.

#1-Wild
#2-Wild Smallmouth Cutthroat Chub
#3-Stockie
#4-Tough one but I'm going to say wild
#5-Wild
#6-Wild
#7-Stockie

sdwlucas wrote:
#1-Wild
#2-Wild Smallmouth Cutthroat Chub
#3-Stockie
#4-Tough one but I'm going to say wild
#5-Wild
#6-Wild
#7-Stockie

Nice try...will report your results later.

Maurice

wild, wild, not, not, wild, wild, not.

Sorry, I shouldn't have replied; you said the quiz was for trout snobs only. By the way, I think that last one was a holdover.

1. Wild
2. Common Shiner
3. Stock
4. Stock
5. Wild
6. Wild
7. Stock

I'm goin'

1. Wild
2. Chub
3. Wild/holdover
4. Wild
5. Wild
6. Wild
7. Stocked

All wild except the last one

wild
wild
stock
stock
wild
wild
stock

wild
wild
stocked
stocked
wild
wild
stocked

i have a feeling there is a catch though. something with that chub. :-D

I'll go along with the majority here

Wild
Wild
Stocked
Stocked
Wild
Wild
Stocked

Majority rules...

#3 & #4 are from our Co-op Nursery...They have a lot more color than the fish from the state stocking(#7)...They are also smaller by an inch or two. It was like catching three different species of trout. They were so different yet the same as their brethern. All hammered the streamers hard. I lost over a dozen and brought 32 to hand. It was an amazing 3.5 hours.

I saw four fish take caddis but I couldn't bring myself to take the streamer off. I'm gonna try again tomorrow with nothing but dries.

May is here, its time to make the changeover.

Maurice

If they all cam efrom Muddy Creek then they probably are all stocked. Except that the Chubb is wild.

Chaz...did you look at the pictures?

You win...they are all stocked

Dangit! I had it right, but you put the answer up too soon. So, I'm going to take a different angle.

The only one that belongs there is the horned dace (second picture). :-D

Ill give a shot.

1).Stocked
2).Wild
3).Wild
4).Stocked
5).Stocked
6.)Wild
7.)Stocked

Now for some esoteria. For those who are trying to learn as much as they can (the minority of this board who are not, refuse, or already know it all,please by-pass my comment) the second fish is a chub, but not the type that you may be used to, depending upon where you fish. It is officially a river chub, which is a completely different species from a creek chub. By the way, I did not realize that this species would take a fly, so I have learned something as well. Its presence suggests marginal summer water temps for the survival of trout or at a minimum suggests that the reach where the chub was taken is near the downstream limit of a year around wild trout population.

Mike wrote:
Now for some esoteria. For those who are trying to learn as much as they can (the minority of this board who are not, refuse, or already know it all,please by-pass my comment) the second fish is a chub, but not the type that you may be used to, depending upon where you fish. It is officially a river chub, which is a completely different species from a creek chub. By the way, I did not realize that this species would take a fly, so I have learned something as well. Its presence suggests marginal summer water temps for the survival of trout or at a minimum suggests that the reach where the chub was taken is near the downstream limit of a year around wild trout population.

Well dude, now you done did it. If you are going to get insulting, you shouldn’t admit that you didn’t know something as basic as what the darn thing will eat. Especially if you are appointing yourself as the “official.” ;-)

Yes, it appears to be a Nocomis micropogon, better known as a river chub. My guess is a male. Very similar to a creek chub, but different. This one appears to be about ready to spawn.

Seriously though, I don’t believe you didn’t know they would take a fly. I'm thinking you are either being condescending or trying to throw us less educated people a bone. ;-) On second thought, I think you are just a trout snob who just never thought about it. ;-) You can't be serious, but in case you are ... What do you suppose these things eat? Common sense tells me anything that will eat a bug will also eat an artificial fly and you don’t need a scientific study to tell you that. There aren’t very many fish out there that can’t be caught on a fly. I never caught a Channel Cat on a fly, but i know it can be done (and I'll catcha few this year that way). Tilapia would be tough. Then again, I once caught a huge grass carp on a fly, and they eat plants, too. I know! Has anyone ever caught a redear sunfish on a fly? I’m betting that would be tough being that they eat mostly snails and things like that. Anyway... If the fly thing was a surprise to you, then brace yourself… I’ve even caught them with spinners before!!!

P.S. No offense intended, and none taken. Just a little friendly ribbing.

FD: Just saying that I learn something new almost every day and that while I could have speculated that river chubs might take a fly, bait, or lure, I have never experienced it or heard about it before, despite having personally fished waters where river chubs are present. Now, I want to know if anyone has ever caught a quillback carpsucker on a fly.

Mike

I have a freshwater drum and goldeyes/mooneyes(?) under my belt. The drum (could it have been the quillback carpsucker?) came on a wooly bugger and the goldeye/mooneye, of which I caught several, came on caddis dries.

Back