Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Steelhead guys

From Perkasie PA
March also means runoff and high water. If you're nymphing it means a lot of weight. Not that much fun on a 6 weight. I stick with 8 for my single handed and switch.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 10:42

From Erie Co.
I have gone as light as a 1 wt(don't recommend that, it is like latching on a freight train!! Heck of a blast!!) I would say a 7 wt is ideal on bigger waters. I don't like the 10' single hand, a 9 1/2', I feel less is better and easer on the arm. Over 10 give me a switch or a spay much easer casting over the course of a day. 10" and over are also a bit more difficult getting the fish into your net or hand if your fishing alone.
I have had very good days in march watch the reds.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 10:54

From Clarion co.
A 1wt for steelhead???

Posted on: 2013/3/2 11:29

We all know the recommendations on these fly rods. Listen to the manufacturers..You will surely snap a 5wt if you hook into a lot of fish. Experience or not. I learned my lesson this year. Had a ridiculous day in Erie with a lot of hook ups, most fair hooked some foul hooked.. Lets just say my 5wt eventually had enough.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 0:26

From hellertown
High water does not mean a lot of wt it means a lot of mending never steelhead fishing do you need more then a few bbs..... Chunking and dunking is not flyfishing its lining and snagging

Posted on: 2013/3/3 6:41

From New Castle, PA
Freestylefisher your post makes no sense. If the water is high and moving you will not be able to see the fish and you need to use the appropriate weight to get down and slow your fly enough so it dosen't blow by the fish. If the fish is hooked in the mouth how is that snagging and if the water is high how can you see to line them? I believe this thread was about what weight fly rod to use in NY not what your talking about.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 10:16

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

freestylefisher wrote:
High water does not mean a lot of wt it means a lot of mending never steelhead fishing do you need more then a few bbs..... Chunking and dunking is not flyfishing its lining and snagging

If you have over 1200 cfs & your're fishing a 6-8ft deep slot ....you can do all the mending you want with a few bb's & you not going to get it down where it needs to be.

I did not say you had to "Chunking and dunk'" Nor am I lining and snagging. I'm curious at when do you go over into "Chunking and dunking" as far how much weight?

How many years of Steelhead fishing on the Salmon River do you have under your belt?

Posted on: 2013/3/3 11:24

From NE OH
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
Quote:

freestylefisher wrote:

If you have over 1200 cfs & your're fishing a 6-8ft deep slot ....you can do all the mending you want with a few bb's & you not going to get it down where it needs to be.

I did not say you had to "Chunking and dunk'" Nor am I lining and snagging. I'm curious at when do you go over into "Chunking and dunking" as far how much weight?

How many years of Steelhead fishing on the Salmon River do you have under your belt?

I agree, try fishing the PM in MI for steelhead or salmon when she's flowing at 1000cfs. These 6-8' deep holes are often only a few yards long. There is no way to have a drift long enough to get an offering down with a couple of BBs. In Erie, that is true but not on larger systems.

Lining is lining and when someone is doing it...it's really obvious. And while I try to avoid chuck & duck fishing in big rivers, sometimes it is necessary. If you chuck and duck and let the offering actually just drift through a run and are not jerking at it the entire time it is legit as any other method of presenting an offering to fish in those situations as any other. And, on those systems that tend to hold a high number of fish in small runs, you are going to occasionally snag fish, even when you are doing it right. Handle it right, release the fish, and move on. Just because it may not be your way, does not make it the wrong way.

Now, I will agree that chuck and duck fishing is hardly beautiful fly casting, it is not. But it certainly is fly gear landing...and we all enjoy that.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 11:52

From Da 'Berg, PA
7 8 or 9 , you want a rod strong in the butt and soft in the tip, to handle the fish and to protect the light tippets they use up there.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:21

From hellertown
I am 32 yrs old and have been fishing up north since I was 8 yrs old get a clue fellas and learn to fish there is no reason to be in the heavy deep holes when the river is flowing at 1200 fish the current breaks and the soft water close to the shore learn to use your equipment and a drag free drift and you will have no problem finding the bottom..... I have easily over 50 days a year chasing steel out of the great lakes and the west coast

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:30

From New Castle, PA
Get a clue? You have 10 posts on this website and your telling people that they chuck and duck? There a lot of great guys on here that have many years experience fishing for steel among other fresh water fish. Maybe you should not be so harsh to those trying to provide useful information.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 18:13

From NE OH
Quote:

freestylefisher wrote:
I am 32 yrs old and have been fishing up north since I was 8 yrs old get a clue fellas and learn to fish there is no reason to be in the heavy deep holes when the river is flowing at 1200 fish the current breaks and the soft water close to the shore learn to use your equipment and a drag free drift and you will have no problem finding the bottom..... I have easily over 50 days a year chasing steel out of the great lakes and the west coast

Probably one of the most humorous posts I have read on this forum. I understand big guy...I knew everything when I was 32 as well. Keep up the fight. Someday you'll look back and be proud you put this kind of talk behind you.

I don't fish the Salmon, so I can't speak to it, but the big rivers in MI with those kinds of flows don't fish as you suggest. The fish hold in the bottom of those big deep holes because the water is crystal clear and it affords them their best protection. It could be that you just don't know what you don't know big guy. Consider it. There are a lot of folks on this forum with far more experience than you describe about your experience and that actually spend even more than 50 days a year on the water fishing for steelhead and salmon each year.

Don't push in looking for a fight. Share your experience and learn a better way to lead. Telling folks their methods are stupid and that they don't have a clue will not garner a positive response, nor is it necessary.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 18:26

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
get a clue ? you are a rookie yet ! how do wade a river the size of the salmon at age 8 or even 14 and fly fish ? just curious ?

Posted on: 2013/3/3 18:30

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From NE OH
Quote:

geebee wrote:
7 8 or 9 , you want a rod strong in the butt and soft in the tip, to handle the fish and to protect the light tippets they use up there.

I half shared this earlier in the thread...in reference to this thought, I fished salmon in MI this year with an 11' 7wt switch rod. It gave me exactly what geebee is referring to here and it was awesome. I was discussing this with my TFO rep (I use a TFO Deer Creek switch) and he said that is exactly how the rod was designed. I asked him if I should consider moving up to the 8wt next year for salmon and he implied there is no reason to. If I were going to AK, that would be a different story.

I have to tell you, I love this 7wt switch and have been using it for all of the steelhead and salmon fishing I do. I have a spool with WF floating line that I nymph and dead drift with and another spool I can throw on with running line and a skagit head for when I want to swing in higher flows.

So, depending on how much you are going to chase salmon and steelhead in the future, this is another rod you might want to consider. The only down side to the switch rod is that it is a little heavier, but that will matter less and less to you the more efficient you become with your casting.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 18:38

From hellertown
FYI the state of ny and the fly zone in altmar tend to agree with me check the regs no more then 1/8 th of an oz can be added to the fly line which is more then enough to fish any flow on that river

Posted on: 2013/3/3 19:14

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com