Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Steelhead Guides and Lodging???

From Millersburg, PA
My wife wants to take me to Erie for my birthday. This will be my first Steelie trip and I want to get into some fish. Wondering if anyone can recommend a guide. Trying to fish elk creek but open to other options. Also i was hoping to stay in a lodge and not a hotel. Any recommendations there or am i better off just getting a hotel room? Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 5/14 8:52

Re: Steelhead Guides and Lodging???
From Monessen, PA
When is your birthday? I ask because this is not the right time to fish Elk Creek for Steelhead.

Posted on: 5/14 9:00

From Millersburg, PA
My birthday is oct 12th

Posted on: 5/14 9:25

From Monessen, PA
OK, good. Pending water levels and temps, that won't necessarily be a bad time. As for guides, I have never used one, but there is a lot of good lodging available that time of year. Consider Uncle Johns Cabins for that type of accommodation or The Riviera Motel or Sunset Motel for reasonable rates and clean rooms without expensive frills.

Posted on: 5/14 9:34

From NW Penna
Shoot this gentleman a PM. PatrickC.
Good man knows his stuff.

Karl Weixlmann can put you on fish also.

Posted on: 5/14 9:52

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Agreed on PatrickC He's a member here and a guide.

Not many "lodges" in PA but if you head to Lake Michigan or Ontario you could find what you're looking for.

Posted on: 5/14 10:52

From lower burrell, pa
Agree with PatrickC, fished with him at the steelhead jam, the man knows his stuff

Posted on: 5/14 10:54

From lower burrell, pa
Fisher of Men outfitters is his site

Posted on: 5/14 10:56

From SW PA (Pittsburgh Area)
Was nice meeting PatrickC at the jam and agree with that choice as he helped me get set up and fishing for my first steelhead try.

If he's booked for some reason, try DeFranks. He presented at my local Trout Unlimited and I follow his Facebook page and seems like a fun guide to work with (but can't speak from personal experience). He might be a member here, not sure...

Posted on: 5/14 15:02

Phat Fish Adventures! His name is Phat Lamb (he's Korean) I grew up with him and he's as good as they come. Elk is his home waters in Girard; born and raised.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phat-Fish-Adventures/235771383130747

Posted on: 5/14 21:58

From NW Penna
I've fished with Phat.
Good fisherman.

Posted on: 5/14 23:00

From Southeastern Pa
I'll agree with the PatrickC suggestions. Patrick took me out for a day on several tribs. what you will learn is, depending on the flows,you have some options in Erie for streams to fish. Patrick has great knowledge of what will be fishing well depending on your time. Plus he will cover various tactics and approaches.

As for places to stay, I highly recommend the Liars Den. I don't usually like to burn my favorite place to crash but Jen and Brian there cater to anglers. There are two rooms above the barn, each room is furnished like a fisherman's apartment. it's really a home away from home and definitely a place to take a family and be comfortable. The rooms are very reasonably priced.

Posted on: 5/15 13:10

I don't like to recommend out of state locations, however a steelhead trip in early to mid October is very risky in Pa waters. No water can equal few fish only near the mouth.

I would recommend fishing the Cattaraugus Creek in western NY. In normal years it fishes best in early season. The creek is large enough that normally flows are sufficient to allow lots of early fish.

Motels are your best options. Search for steelhead guides in that area.

Now if you could wait until mid November on, then Pa tribs should have enough fish scattered throughout the streams.

The Cat has many dirt roads on an Indian reservation. Guides know stream access as well as conditions. Pa streams have very well known access points. Guides could provide access to posted waters if they have an agreement with the property owner.

Fishing techniques are really simple. Dead drifting egg patterns, wooly buggers and nymphs always produce. Unless you are a beginner, fishing techniques are typically easy. Look for fast dark green water, have enough shot to get down and have a long drag free drift and you will catch fish.

The Cat typically calls for larger and brighter egg patterns.

I find most fishermen to be quite helpful if you ask questions.
Steelhead fishing is a lot of fun. A 7 or 8 weight rod is nice. Minimum is a 6 weight rod.

I hope you enjoy your trip regardless of where you go.

Posted on: 5/15 19:01

From Erie, PA
Karl Weixleman or Steve at Lake Erie Ultimate Angler

Posted on: 5/15 22:14

From Lancaster, PA
I would second the suggestion of Steve Brugger from Lake Erie Ultimate Angler. Great guy, great shop. I have fished with him on the tribs on multiple occasions. You can't go wrong with him. Here is the store website:

Lake Erie Ultimate Angler

Posted on: 5/16 0:49

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com