Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 43 »

Re: Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

From Dauphin PA
From the sounds of things, I need to join that forum, set my downriggers and begin trolling.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 8:39

From Ellwood City
Looks like more rain tomorrow- have a 2 hour drive, was debating going but dont know if things will come down enough- any opinions on whether its worth my while???

Posted on: 2013/11/1 9:53

From NE OH
It's more of an issue of how much rain we get tonight and tomorrow in Erie. I would expect 12 & 16 are fishing now with 20 fishing soon and probably Elk later today. It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, The projections are for about 1/2" during that time. That is right at an amount where it is a total crap shoot. If it falls slow all day, may not hurt things at all. If 1/2" dumps all in a couple hours...they blow up. And, it's a crap shoot as to how much will actually fall, esp in Erie. Seems like every place else, the NOAA projections fall short. BUT, when lake effect comes into the forecast....it can go either way.

There, that should clear it up for you

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:05

From Warriors Mark, PA
The gauge is at 421 cfs and dropping nicely (probably about 30 cfs/ hour), was over 500 at one point this morning. And, the turbity gauge is dropping as well.

The forecast is calling for showers tomorrow, and about .3 inches of rain, but the radar is showing that most of the storm system that hit last night is over us, and everything else is missing Erie, with the chance that a few small green splotches may clip us.

Don't hold me to this, and I don't want to make you waste a trip. But I would think that, all other things being equal, the streams continuing to steadily clear, and no more major rains happening today and tonight, there will be at least a few streams tomorrow with prime conditions, and a good run of some fresh fish. Of course, steelhead fishing isn't an exact science, as I think we've all learned.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:12

From Ellwood City
Great, thanks guys- trying to get this rising and falling thing down- first year and only really 4 trips under my belt, but as someone told me before, something will usually fish just have to find it.. last friday elk was muddy and high, but hit 20 and it was perfect.. was thinking ill have some driving around tomorrow too but hopefully will be able to find something

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:19

From Ellwood City
is there a good number on the Brandy Run or Walnut creek i can use as a gauge tomorrow morning when i wake up?

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:30

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
If the walnut gauge is at 300 and dropping I would def head up. The smaller streams will be fishable by then and the larger streams may be later in the day depending on what other precipitation comes tomorrow.

Ideal for me for the big streams is when it's around 150, but it can go from 300 to 150 in a matter of a few hours.

So like Pat said... there you go. May fish and may not by tomorrow.

Is it better to head up and get skunked, or sit at home and do nothing?

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:41

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:
There is truth to it. I use one, but the reality is....clients want pics and it helps. I have them handle the fish as little as possible and keep the fish in the water (net) up until the point they are ready to get a picture.

Try handling the fish with just your index finger and thumb around the tail and just support them with a few fingers up under the chin or even make almost like a fist and place the fish's chin area on the upside down fist. Also, with really squirmy fish, just consider photographing them where you are handling them in the water with just a slight lift to the surface of the water. If they get away...they get away.

When I fish by myself, I just move the fish over to a shallow area and jump down behind them and block them with my knees. If I want to photograph the fish, I carry a small net to put them in so I can get the pics I want and still keep them in the water with minimal handling. I try more and more to photograph them in the water in that situation. I'm obsessed with fish and love to photograph their uniqueness.

Thank you for the advice, I will definately try everything you discussed, especially in the last paragraph.

I wanted to ask you, do you ever weight fish for your clients when out on the stream, and if so, how do you do it without harming the fish? I have a small digital pocket scale I use for bass fishing, that fits in the bottom pocket of my vest, and I started bringing it on Erie trips last year. Unfortunately, the weighing mechanism is like a small metal hook, and the common method is to putting the hook under the fish's gill slit, or under one of the little grooves under the mouth, obviously probably not the best way to handle the fish, with the entire weight being supported by the jaw, but not necessarily harmful to the fish in itself. Someone told me of the idea of just weighing the fish while it's in the net, by wrapping the loop on the handle of the net around the hook of the scale, and taring the weight of the net in order to get the weight of the fish, or weighing the net before hand, and mentally subtracting the weight from the total weight with the fish in it.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:45

From Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:
Great, thanks guys- trying to get this rising and falling thing down- first year and only really 4 trips under my belt, but as someone told me before, something will usually fish just have to find it.. last friday elk was muddy and high, but hit 20 and it was perfect.. was thinking ill have some driving around tomorrow too but hopefully will be able to find something

http://forums.fishusa.com/Message/486233-Gauge-Help/

That thread may be of some assistance, it shows you a few photos of what condions at Walnut may look like, based on the gauge data.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 10:48

From NE OH
I never weigh steelhead. The only responsible way to weigh them would be to suspend the net from a scale, "Zero" the scale out, and then weigh the fish in the net. Too much of a hassle. I'm not a fan of Bogas or scales that you hook the fish with. It's quicker and easier on the fish to get a length and girth and estimate it.

As for fishable gage values.

1. Ryan pretty much hit it, if Walnut is 300-400cfs and dropping, you should find fishable water.
2. Walnut fishes from about 200cfs down.
3. Elk fishes pretty well once Brandy run is somewhere between 12-15cfs. But that can vary based on the season. In the Fall and Spring you have more mud from run-off so it may need to drop more just for 8" of visibility. In the Winter when the ground is frozen, it might fish fine higher than that. Frankly, looking at Uncle John's Elk Creek Cam right now...I would fish Elk right now. Some of it depends on how and what you like to fish.
4. What's happening on the east side of Erie is not always happening on the west side. The east side gets more lake effect rain and snow. Sometimes you judge what you think the Miles are doing based on the Brandy Run and Walnut gages and the Miles are a mess or they can be gin clear. Lake Effect screws up forecasting

Posted on: 2013/11/1 11:01

From Butler, Pa
Fishin, as long as you are aware snagging is a serious issue I am fine but there's no need for an apology. I just wanted to make it aware that with some of your comments that you indeed were setting yourself up. Most of the time you gotta be funny, but also serious on that site. Thick skin is what you need. With that being said let's talk steelies..

Posted on: 2013/11/1 11:17

From Ellwood City
Thanks Patrick and Fishin, all of that helps a lot. Think I'll be packing up the car this evening.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 11:59

From Dauphin PA
SR at 2450 cfs and still climbing!?!?! Highest ever for this date.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 12:53

From Erie Co.
Elk conditions after work3:30 PM Mckane today.
Stream flow up and muddy upstream of mckane. Visibility less than >10". More rain predicted

NWS Erie PA:
Tonight A chance of showers, mainly after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 45. Breezy, with a southwest wind 11 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Saturday Showers. High near 50. Southwest wind 8 to 10 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Saturday Night Rain showers likely before 10pm, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 34. North wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Sunday A chance of rain and snow showers before 10am, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. North wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick. ... unit=0&lg=en#.UnQnFkLD_cs

Looks like the very small streams will fish others no.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 18:15

From Erie Co.
I would call this weekend a wash out if travel is required.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 18:16

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 43 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
81 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com