Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 43 »

Re: Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

From lower burrell, pa
I'll be heading up on the 7th as well GG, was planning on fishing Friday for sure. Thursday is a maybe depending on arrival time. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the JAM Norm

Posted on: 2013/10/30 8:58

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Well, yesterday was just "one of those days" on the creek. FD and I hit it a daylight, because in the low and clear....well that is your best time to get one.

So, we joined up with a thousand of our best friends and gave it a go. There are plenty of fish around and most of them spooky as all get out. So, you have to find small deep moving pocket water to be successful in these conditions AND you have to go small. Nymphs, eggs, and 4x is the ticket in the low and clear.

We were able to find a few gamers throughout the day, but with tiny nymphs, small tippet and fairly hot fish....getting them to hand is another issue.

That being said, it was a beautiful day. FD learned some new spots to take his posse during the Stealhead Jam and the low and clear let him see the structure in those area. Hopefully there will be some flow at that time and it will pay some dividends.

Good fishing with you Dave.

Well, that explains why I didn't catch any. I was using 3X Fluorocarbon. Some guide you are.

Seriously though. I like looking at the bright side. Fished all day with a professional guide and he only caught a few more than I did.

Glad you didn't take a picture of me lying on the ground.

We'll have to do it again some time, maybe over at my brother's place. He has been itching to get out. Just be careful, he is a little bit nuts.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:18

From NE OH
Quote:

Well, that explains why I didn't catch any. I was using 3X Fluorocarbon. Some guide you are.

Seriously though. I like looking at the bright side. Fished all day with a professional guide and he only caught a few more than I did.

We'll have to do it again some time, maybe over at my brother's place. He has been itching to get out. Just be careful, he is a little bit nuts.

It's always awkward fishing with someone that already knows how to fish. When I'm guiding, I'm instructing folks on what to do all day. When I'm not guiding, I find myself not quite knowing what I should do. That's why I said...."Let me know what I can help you with today." I don't want to be yakking at you all day like you don't k now what's going on and I don't want to not be helpful if you need help. You seemed like you were just enjoying the day at your own pace, so I tried not to say much.

It was a tough day for catching. I hooked 8 fish yesterday, but only kept 2 from giving me the slip. The longer you play a steelhead on a #14 hook, the more likely you are to loose it. Unfortunately, it's a little tough to just horse them over with the 4x.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:28

Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Quote:

It's always awkward fishing with someone that already knows how to fish. When I'm guiding, I'm instructing folks on what to do all day. When I'm not guiding, I find myself not quite knowing what I should do. That's why I said...."Let me know what I can help you with today." I don't want to be yakking at you all day like you don't k now what's going on and I don't want to not be helpful if you need help. You seemed like you were just enjoying the day at your own pace, so I tried not to say much.

It was a tough day for catching. I hooked 8 fish yesterday, but only kept 2 from giving me the slip. The longer you play a steelhead on a #14 hook, the more likely you are to loose it. Unfortunately, it's a little tough to just horse them over with the 4x.

I'm sure you realize I was only joking, but believe it or not I was actually going to ask you if you had any 4X fluorocarbon. But after picking up and using a bobber that you had dropped, asking for tippet might have been pushing it.

Smallest fluorocarbon tippet that I had on me was 3X. I likely had smaller conventional tippet on me at the time, but chose to stick with the fluorocarbon because of the conditions.

I very much enjoyed it and thanks again for your help. Hope your wife enjoys the peppers.

P.S. The bobber is mine now.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:43

Quote:

PatrickC wrote:

It's always awkward fishing with someone that already knows how to fish. When I'm guiding, I'm instructing folks on what to do all day. When I'm not guiding, I find myself not quite knowing what I should do.

All you have to do is think of it as fishing with another guide. In this case, a very bad one.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:46

From NE OH
I meant to give you a couple of other sizes of the Thingamabobbers. I used to use tiny little strike indicators and they were great, but as my eyes have changed over the years, Thingamabobbers are the easiest for me to see. I essentially keep them in white and orange. I use white most of the time, but when the flows are up and the water is foamy, I can't see the white for the foam....so I switch to orange. I bet my 50s are really gonna suck

Whenever we are on the water, feel free to ask for help or supplies. I always have plenty of tippet and plenty of flies. Clients love to burn through both

Oh yea, wife really appreciated the peppers! Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/10/30 9:52

Edited by PatrickC on 2013/10/30 10:28:44

From NE OH
Quote:

pro4mance wrote:
I'll be heading up on the 7th as well GG, was planning on fishing Friday for sure. Thursday is a maybe depending on arrival time. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the JAM Norm

I doubt that I will be up this year, but as you plan for next year, why don't we plan to do a little "mini seminar" during breakfast or something. Then I can help address concerns and questions for those that want to improve their game. Sometimes addressing those things in person can be more helpful than just reading about it. I would be more than happy to do that!

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:31

From lower burrell, pa
Pat that would be fantastic, we will have to work on that for next years Jam. Thank you for putting the offer out there.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:34

From NE OH
Look forward to it. Just send me a PM when it's time to organize next year's event.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:46

Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
I meant to give you a couple of other sizes of the Thingamabobbers. I used to use tiny little strike indicators and they were great, but as my eyes have changed over the years, Thingamabobbers are the easiest for me to see. I essentially keep them in white and orange. I use white most of the time, but when the flows are up and the water is foamy, I can't see the white for the foam....so I switch to orange. I bet my 50s are really gonna suck

I wasn't joking when I said my far vision has actually been getting better with age. If you are near sighted, you should experience the same thing. Near vision is another story, but it is mostly just the ability to focus on things close up. I still do not require glasses for reading because I have long arms.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 11:31

From NE OH
Yea, I had to get trifocals this year because all of a sudden I could not focus on anything up close. I used to make fun of guys with those magnifiers on the bill of their caps....no I'm going to be one of them. Karma I suppose...

Posted on: 2013/10/30 11:38

From Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:
I meant to give you a couple of other sizes of the Thingamabobbers. I used to use tiny little strike indicators and they were great, but as my eyes have changed over the years, Thingamabobbers are the easiest for me to see.

Hahaha I was about to ask how on Earth you use Thingamabobbers in low/ and clear conditions, without nicking up your leader, and creating a huge disturbance and spooking fish in the pool , that was my problem with them, so I switched to the smallest size peg football indicator I can get by with, seems to detect the slightest vibrations and light bites. But, then I saw that you said they were easiest for you with your vision

Posted on: 2013/10/30 13:08

From NE OH
BTW, they make 1/2" Thingamabobber. That's what we were using yesterday. And we were fish fast pocket water. The movement of the water alone conceals them, especially if they are white. Don't waste your time fishing low and clear water that is not moving. Everything spooks them in that situation.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 13:21

From Butler, Pa
1/2" thingamabobbers in white are all I will ever use steelhead fishing unless I am fishing turbulent water such as waterfalls. Furled leaders also won't kink with a thingamabobber and moving them is so easy. They are my favorite for steelhead fishing.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 13:57

From Warriors Mark, PA
Well I'll be, I may have to find some of them myself

Posted on: 2013/10/30 13:58

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 43 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com