Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 43 »

Re: Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
The storm on the 19th evaporated...

Posted on: 2013/9/7 16:46

From Butler, Pa
landed my first steelhead of the year, last Saturday. Did I mention it was in 71 feet of water? Still a tad early. Coming into elk creek at dark, the mouth was filled with shad and some steelhead mixed, but none at daylight. The temps have gotten extremely cold at night lately. Im sure there are some fish in the streams now.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 17:36

From Ohio
Nice. A few weeks ago my uncle told me he caught one and I was super surprised/excited until he told me he was 10miles off of Cleveland lol.

I'm going to be in Erie today, and of course while I'm up there I'm gonna check out a spot or two to see if any fish came in.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 8:08

From Ohio
Got a little fishing in today. Stopped at Elk, Walnut, Crooked, and Trout Run. Streams were very, very low and clear as expected. Saw one jack at the log jam hole on Elk, and other than that nothing though I only spent like 20min there. At Walnut there were maybe 15-20 fish if that from the lake to the waterfall, and just about all of them were just kinda chillin' in the slow pools. Managed to get one there in some of the faster water, but other than that one fish none of them wanted anything to do with our flies(as expected). Didn't see any at Crooked, though it was mainly just a scouting trip there. Took a water temp and it was 64 degrees at 4:30pm. Didn't see a single fish at Trout Run.

Felt really good to get that first one of the season, but we still got about a month....it's not worth the drive unless you live like 5min away.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/9/8 19:38

Will this year be a better return than last year? I know some think there were good numbers last year but in contrast to 09-10 10-11 seasons something was off.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 8:26

From Pittsburgh
Every year people say the run is off or that the numbers aren't what they used to be. You'll hear all kinds of reasons for this. All I know for sure is that fishing pressure has gone through the roof and having good water/weather conditions is everything.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 15:16

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I agree that 08 was a really good year. I think the difference that year is almost every time I went up (and I was still a rookie) the water levels were very good. But there were also a lot of fish in sections of stream that there weren't any in the most recent years. We'll see how the run goes. I'm hoping the browns continue to improve. I wish they put the limit on browns to 1 a day, so they would really make a viable fishery for them. (potentially)

Posted on: 2013/9/10 16:00

From Butler, Pa
I started fishing in 2010 and Ive never seen fish like I saw that year, I remember seeing more people as weell though??

Posted on: 2013/9/10 17:33

2007 and 2008 were both great years 2010 was bad. In 2011 I hit it just right and had a good trip, but last year was pretty bad too.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 7:50

From NE OH
I'll make the same comment as last year....

The numbers of fish have fluctuated over the years. I do NOT think that is a bad thing. When there are less fish, folks actually have to learn to fish for them (that's a good thing). The pressure has been high at times, but as all of us know, a little walking goes a LONG way.

Regardless of the numbers of fish being down, I have caught no less fish (and that is by no means because I catch only a few ). At the end of the day, you can make excuses, or you can get better at catching them. There are more then plenty of fish to be caught each year. This year will be no different.

We need more rain, but over the next few weeks, things will start moving. The only downside to the PA tribs is that the fish need good rain events to get into the creeks. There are already fish meandering around in the lower parts of the Ohio and larger NY tribs. The upper parts of those large river are way too warm for any significant migration upstream at this point, but the forecasted nighttime temps are coming down.

Hang in there folks...it's coming.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 8:54

From Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:
I'll make the same comment as last year....

The numbers of fish have fluctuated over the years. I do NOT think that is a bad thing. When there are less fish, folks actually have to learn to fish for them (that's a good thing). The pressure has been high at times, but as all of us know, a little walking goes a LONG way.

Regardless of the numbers of fish being down, I have caught no less fish (and that is by no means because I catch only a few ). At the end of the day, you can make excuses, or you can get better at catching them. There are more then plenty of fish to be caught each year. This year will be no different.

We need more rain, but over the next few weeks, things will start moving. The only downside to the PA tribs is that the fish need good rain events to get into the creeks. There are already fish meandering around in the lower parts of the Ohio and larger NY tribs. The upper parts of those large river are way too warm for any significant migration upstream at this point, but the forecasted nighttime temps are coming down.

Hang in there folks...it's coming...

Very well said, could not agree more. Every year, it gets very annoying hearing people whine about how there are no fish, and how they won't bite, and the grumpy old timers talking about how much better the fishing was "30 years ago," blaming everyone else for ruining it.

That said, Erie does have some problems, such as pollution, lampreys, overfishing, poachers, and others, that affect the numbers. But, there are millions of steelhead stocked each year in PA and other states, and plenty more from natural breeding. It is still one of the greatest fisheries (haha FishErieS, just realized that) in the world, and I will always be thankful to be able to fish it.

Every time I go up there, there ARE steelhead around. It just seems that people often want to blame their lack of skills on low numbers. Or they won't want to work for the fish, or walk at all. I would much rather spend time walking and driving awhile to find a small, isolated pod of fish to myself that haven't been hammered to death, rather than stand choked at Manchester hole watching as the steelhead there that have been cast to countless times, avoid my flies like the plague.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 11:21

From Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:
When you say experts, do you mean baitshops, guides, motel managers....?

I talked to a guide who believes it, and I've heard of many baitshops speculating it.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 12:51

From Other side of the tracks
No fish? Yea, I get a kick out of that one. And won't bite? What do they expect when the darn things have their noses pressed to the bottom.

What I don't like about it is those steelhead just don't act like real trout.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 13:16

From NE OH
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
What I don't like about it is those steelhead just don't act like real trout.

Nope, nor do the ones out West...salmon never do

Posted on: 2013/9/12 13:21

From Portage, PA
Hoping for the browns to take off a bit as well. Caught my first one last year on a crystal bugger, a few minutes after my friend caught a brown. His was around 17 and mine was around 20. Would be nice to have browns like New York but can't see it getting to that level.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 13:46

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 43 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com