Springtime fly selection

1stfly

I'm trying to fill up my box with some general spring fly patterns for the South Central PA area for trout. I'm not a big "match the hatch" believer, so some general patterns will be fine. So far I have -

Dry - Parachute Adams, Caddis Elk

Wet - Hare's Ear

Nymph - Bead head Phesant tail

Streamer - Clouser's, Wooly Buggers (Are they really a streamer?)

Thanks for your help

-Chris

Chris,
I would also have some midges. I use a griffith gnat to immitate midges a lot. I just think it is a lot easier to see than a regular midge pattern. I would also get some prince nymphs. Blue wing olives also work very well in the spring.

Troy

I would add a light colored mayfly pattern like a light cahill or sulphur to the dries.

To the nymphs, either a hare's ear or a zug bug. I'd also tie some of them without the bead, as a greased nymph doubles as an emerger.

I'd also add at least two of: green weenies, zebra midges, globugs.

you do realize that by the time this thread fizzles out you'll have a copy of every fly made..... except don's sculpin of course.

you just had to go there didn't you jay!!!

If you're not into the "match the hatch", also look into some terrestrials... there was a thread recently that had some good patterns and ideas... not too far down from here. Try those out too.

here's the link

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=860&forum=2

jayL wrote:
I would add a light colored mayfly pattern like a light cahill or sulphur to the dries.

To the nymphs, either a hare's ear or a zug bug. I'd also tie some of them without the bead, as a greased nymph doubles as an emerger.

I'd also add at least two of: green weenies, zebra midges, globugs.

you do realize that by the time this thread fizzles out you'll have a copy of every fly made..... except don's sculpin of course.

Jay,

Spring is a little early for the light colored mayflies. Try the darker ones first. Adams for a general pattern, but to be specific, Hendricksons, Quill Gordons, (on the cleanest of water) and then the Stenonemas in May (Grey Fox[Fucsum], March Brown[Vicarium], and finally Cahills[Canendensis] closer to June) But with a grey to tan bottom on your fly and some grizzley hackle for legs you should be all set. This will cover the QGs as well in a #14.

And also...don't forget the early black Stonefly. My favorite early fly. Coming off at a stream near you right now.

Maurice

Tried to insert a hatch chart but it's too small to read...sorry guys. Maurice covered MAyflies and stoneflies. I would add only small back caddis and grannoms to the spring selection of flies.

I would tie up a bunch of those bread flies that Jack outlined in the spun deer hair post.

Maybe acouple of pellet flies. The Roayl Coachmen should start comming off soon too :lol:

Me, I am at a loss. I hit Loyalhanna twice. The second time on some pretty good inside info. Got skunked both times. I threw the box at them. And I could have sworn that I say one take something from the top but after 1/2 an hour throwing several different dries to him I decided it must have been a figment of my imagination.

If you are hitting any spring creeks I ALWAYS go to a sowbug or fat looking muskrat nymph.

1st fly...you mentioned that you are not a "match the hatch" guy, so we all proceeded to give you hatch info. We just can't help ourselves! Attached is info on most spring hatches for PA:

MAYFLIES
Blue Wing Olive 16-24
Blue Quill 16-18
Quill Gordon 12-14
Hendrickson 14
Black Quill 14
Blue Dun 16-20
March Brown 12-14
Gray Fox 12-14

CADDIS FLIES
Little Black Sedge 18-22
Spotted Sedge 16-18
Grannom 14-20
Green Sedge 14-18
Dark Brown Caddis 12
Little Sister Sedge 18-22

STONEFLIES
Black stonefly 10,14,16
Brown Stonefly 10-14

Midges 20-28 (Black, Gray, Brown, Olive. Cream)

TERRESTRIALS
Beetles 12-18
Ants 16-20

Stick with you flies you tied: EH Caddis and Adams dry, Wet HE, PT nymph, and a couple of Clousers and buggers. You will probably catch as many or more fish than all of us obsessive hatch matchers. K.I.S.S. nearly always works. Good luck

Maurice,

good point. my thinking was... I was figuring the adams would be good early spring, the lighter ones for later, once the sulphurs start in my neck of the woods (may, june... both of which I still consider spring, since I'd still be in classes).

And that reminds me to get out and fish the stoneflies!

Can't go wrong with a #18 parachute Adams, Royal Wulff and other actractors, also have yourself some terrestrials for a little later in the Spring!

1stfly,

Based on this thread you better get some more flyboxes....

:-D
John

Spring is from about March 21 through June 21, so you aren't the only one who considers May and June Spring.

In terms of attractor nymphs, probably the best new (to me anyway..) fly I've fished in the last 15 years is the Pink Squirrel. It originated (allegedly, but who knows) on the spring creeks of SW Wisconsin, but I have yet to fish it anywhere where it did not work very well. I've caught trout on it in WI, IA, PA, OR, UT, NC, TN and WA. It is particularly good in water that is just a tad out of whack or off color or in limestones like the ones in SC PA. And I'll bet there are darn few trout in PA that have ever seen one. And, IMO, that matters...

http://www.virtualflybox.com/patterns/pattern.php?id=915.

PS: You don't need the orange antron called for in the pattern, IMO. Plain old fox sq. body is fine

Jack,

Actually metrological spring is March thru May. From Wikipedia:

Meteorological seasons are reckoned by temperature, with summer being the hottest quarter of the year, and winter the coldest quarter of the year.

So, in meteorology for the Northern hemisphere:
· spring begins on March 1,
· summer on June 1,
· autumn on September 1, and
· winter on December 1.

Sorry Jack...I beginning to think and sound like an attorney...I better get a grip!

Since meteorologists are only correct about half the time, I will stick with the astronomical designations based upon the earth's position in orbit around the sun. At least we know that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West every day, regardless of what a meteorologist might have to say on the subject. :-D

I'm doomed to follow the drexel calendar, regardless of anything else...

so to me, spring lasts until june 8th or so. don't care what the sun has to say about it... don't care what hurricane schwartz has to say about it.

but thanks for nitpicking the nitpick for me afish!

lol :-D

Beadhead zebra midges are very productive, as are black buggers. Also green weenies.

ryanh wrote:

Me, I am at a loss. I hit Loyalhanna twice. The second time on some pretty good inside info. Got skunked both times. I threw the box at them. And I could have sworn that I say one take something from the top but after 1/2 an hour throwing several different dries to him I decided it must have been a figment of my imagination.

Don't feel bad Ryan...I think your info was from me and I only managed to hook one and miss three in the hour and a half I was there yesterday. Fished from 1pm to 2:30. Of course I was running on 2 hours sleep the night before and I only fished one fly...a bugger. There were some stoneflies coming off sporadically though. Frankly, the one I had hooked was the ony one I saw anyone hook.

Dear 1stfly,

I can't believe no one mentioned the Prince nymph? I don't think I've ever gone fishless when fishing one. Size 8 will pass as a stonefly nymph in a pinch and I fish them down to size 16.

I like beadhead wire bodied caddis pupa too. Red and green are good colors. Just wrap a wire body put a beard of wood duck fibers underneath as legs and put two or three turns of peacock herl at the head.

If you are fishing stocked streams don't leave home without Fred Bridge's IPW. Native brook trout love them too.

http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesF/pink_worm.htm

Tie up a couple of Clouser Foxee Minnows too.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Gotta give Troy credit for mentioning the prince nymph, tim. You must have missed it.

As far as buying flies I like the prince. As far as tying, I find it easier to tie zugbugs so I use them more. I just know that trout like to have a little herl in their diet.

Back