Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Springtime fly selection

From Bozeman
I'm doomed to follow the drexel calendar, regardless of anything else...

so to me, spring lasts until june 8th or so. don't care what the sun has to say about it... don't care what hurricane schwartz has to say about it.

but thanks for nitpicking the nitpick for me afish!

lol

Posted on: 2007/3/14 13:52

From SEPA
Beadhead zebra midges are very productive, as are black buggers. Also green weenies.

Posted on: 2007/3/14 14:12

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

ryanh wrote:

Me, I am at a loss. I hit Loyalhanna twice. The second time on some pretty good inside info. Got skunked both times. I threw the box at them. And I could have sworn that I say one take something from the top but after 1/2 an hour throwing several different dries to him I decided it must have been a figment of my imagination.

Don't feel bad Ryan...I think your info was from me and I only managed to hook one and miss three in the hour and a half I was there yesterday. Fished from 1pm to 2:30. Of course I was running on 2 hours sleep the night before and I only fished one fly...a bugger. There were some stoneflies coming off sporadically though. Frankly, the one I had hooked was the ony one I saw anyone hook.

Posted on: 2007/3/14 15:31

From Harrisburg
Dear 1stfly,

I can't believe no one mentioned the Prince nymph? I don't think I've ever gone fishless when fishing one. Size 8 will pass as a stonefly nymph in a pinch and I fish them down to size 16.

I like beadhead wire bodied caddis pupa too. Red and green are good colors. Just wrap a wire body put a beard of wood duck fibers underneath as legs and put two or three turns of peacock herl at the head.

If you are fishing stocked streams don't leave home without Fred Bridge's IPW. Native brook trout love them too.

http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesF/pink_worm.htm

Tie up a couple of Clouser Foxee Minnows too.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/3/14 20:00

From Bozeman
Gotta give Troy credit for mentioning the prince nymph, tim. You must have missed it.

As far as buying flies I like the prince. As far as tying, I find it easier to tie zugbugs so I use them more. I just know that trout like to have a little herl in their diet.

Posted on: 2007/3/14 21:35

From Harrisburg
Dear jay,

Yes, I definitely missed that Troy mentioned the Prince in his post.

I'll amend my first post and say that I'm surprised more people didn't mention the Prince.

I love that fly but then again I've never even tried a Zug Bug so what do I know about anything?

I just like to fish junk!

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/3/14 22:18

From York, PA
I was looking at a prince type pattern in my fly tying book -- I have a lot of peacock hearl. I've also tied some greenie weenies, after a few normal colored ones I experimented with some blue ice chenile. UGLY!

afishinado wrote:Quote:
1st fly...you mentioned that you are not a "match the hatch" guy, so we all proceeded to give you hatch info. We just can't help ourselves!

Ahhh, my eyes are burning.

I might be able to go into a diatribe about why I don't generally think that you need to have an exact match the hatch, but I'll let it rest on this: I've caught trout on many Panther Martin spinners that look nothing like the things entomologists dream about. They do however imitate these things, therein lies my general principle. If I can get an approximate "action" of an insect a trout will take the fly. I've caught many bass on a bubble gum colored fluke and I don't see many of them swimming in the susky. (Maybe the brown toilet trout, but not a bubble gum colored fish.)

I'm also the type of person that if I got into match the hatch I'd go too far. "Hey honey look, this is a caddisfly sub-species only found...." I don't think my wife can take any more of my science talk than she already does.

-Chris

Posted on: 2007/3/14 22:47

From Chester County
1st fly,

You’re 100% right, but sometimes it is necessary to match the hatch - try this simple approach. Tie some generic dry flies, mayfly type and caddis type in different sizes - smaller to larger, and different colors - light to dark. An EH caddis can pass as a stonefly. When you see a light colored mayfly, match it to what you have in you fly box. Don’t worry about the scientific name, as long as you have the size and shape right, matching the exact color doesn’t matter. If the insect is active on the water, try to imitate that action, if the flies are still, dead drift it. Do the same thing for generic nymphs – light to dark, and small to large. That’s it! Leave the entomology BS to the FF geeks who argue that hatch is the Paraleptophlibia Adoptiva species or Ephemerella Deficiens. You'll be catching fish while they get out their microscopes and field guides. Good luck

Posted on: 2007/3/15 7:30

I often "scratch" the hatch too except when the elusive "Marlborous cigarettis" hatches in abundance on the local AT. When it does, I always have a few of these available!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2007/3/15 7:52

How can you not belive in "match the hatch," with regards to fishing dry flys.

Fishign most hatches on Penn's without matching the hatch will result in being skunked.

Early spring there are only a few big hatces, no sense not matching them. BWO's and Grannoms. Midges (cut the split tail of last years tricos, you wont need tricos for a while anyway).

Posted on: 2007/3/16 0:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com