Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Spawning trout
From Gettysburg
Quote:

dkile wrote:
Afish,

I think we went the middle of February and still saw some of the brook trout spawning.

Correct. Brook trout in Big Spring are winter spawners and spawn mostly in Dec/Jan. However, this is unusual as brook trout are typically done spawning elsewhere in PA by November.

Posted on: 12/2 14:33

From Nazareth PA
Good article. Our TU did a redd count on the Bushkill and there were more redds this year than last. That is a good sign.
I will fish but I follow the rules that the writer does. Stay away from redds and spawning fish. All the others are fair game. I do try to release them quickly, since the don't have much energy to spare after the spawn.
Bill

Posted on: 12/2 15:37

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

To each his own. To me its the best time to get the larger fish since a) they are less skitterish and b) more accesible due to their presence in streams that barely cover their backs. Its also a good time to get out and see what a stream really holds. You think your favorite lil' crick doesn't hold big trout but all evidence to the contrary when you go there November 1st. It really is an eye opener even when you don't see fish but see redds that are 3 to 4 feet long. Its also very humbling seeing all of them and wondering where the f they go the rest of the year. lol

Posted on: 12/4 16:45

From LV
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I've seen brookies still on their redds in Big Spring in late January, or maybe even into February. Maybe Fishidiot can remember the exact date?

The original brookies at Big Spring spawned as late as January, maybe some of those fish are still present, yet another reason to favor the brookies there.

Posted on: 12/4 18:54

From LV
Quote:

NJAngler wrote:
To each his own. To me its the best time to get the larger fish since a) they are less skitterish and b) more accesible due to their presence in streams that barely cover their backs. Its also a good time to get out and see what a stream really holds. You think your favorite lil' crick doesn't hold big trout but all evidence to the contrary when you go there November 1st. It really is an eye opener even when you don't see fish but see redds that are 3 to 4 feet long. Its also very humbling seeing all of them and wondering where the f they go the rest of the year. lol

I agree 100%.

Posted on: 12/4 18:56

From PA
Couldn't agree more with njangler's post. Best chance of year to get numerous large trout.

Posted on: 12/4 19:41

Quote:
To me its the best time to get the larger fish

...and release them of course. Want to make sure that's clear.

I would say of all my "trophy" trout(>=14"), I would say about half are caught in the fall and of those 20" or better, most are in the fall including my 2 biggest. Next best opportunity for larger fish is post rainfall after a long dry stretch. Fish go on a feeding frenzy gobbling up all the invertebrates(worms/slugs/insects et al) washed or dislodged during heavy rains.

From what few trips I've made this fall, spawning trout and redd #'s are very high. I'm thinking the extra low water has trout jammed into what little spawning areas there are so maybe it just seems like more since they are packed in like sardines.

Posted on: 12/5 8:08

From PA
I encountered the same thing on my goto stream also. Lots of redds this year, lots of spawning fish. Still going on actually. Watched a few really nice females cutting redds just yesterday. Very good to see. If you get out of the water before moving above the redd area you can usually get out without spooking the fish off also, so that is a good thing to keep in mind.

Posted on: 12/5 9:40

I think F/idiot said it best. I hope NJangler does not fish to the redds.

I do fish during the spawn if I have killed a wild turkey. I didn't get one till the next to last Saturday this year.

Anyhow, I have not ever seen anyone else write that he has observed this, but I have observed that a significant number of trout, as with people and other animals I guess, including larger trout, do not participate in reproductive activities. I fish one particular streams where I catch wild trout but find nearly no redds -- ever. Somehow these trout replenish themselves, but redds are really rare.

At any rate, if you do fish in the fall during the spawn, please avoid the redds.

Posted on: 12/5 21:39

From Lancaster County
rrt,
I think on some smaller streams that I fish, the amount of mature fish able to spawn is relatively low and consequently, so are the number of redds. If you happen to be on the stream when the fish are cutting the redds, you might see half-a-dozen, which was my experience last Thanksgiving. This year, on Thanksgiving (which was late) I saw no redds. However, it had rained heavily the day before and whatever sediment that may have been suspended in the water had settled out, and that single high water event probably masked the redds. On high fish density streams, then the number of pairs go up and the probability of spotting a redd does too; I'd guess the spawn period may run longer too.

Posted on: 12/5 21:58

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

NJAngler wrote:
Quote:
To me its the best time to get the larger fish

...and release them of course. Want to make sure that's clear.

I'm thinking the extra low water has trout jammed into what little spawning areas there are so maybe it just seems like more since they are packed in like sardines.

Unless the river bed is dry in places, lower water levels normally result in more suitable spawning areas - mid current deep runs become faster riffles with higher oxygenation.

It's in Dave Hughes book.

I think that's why nature has brownies spawning in the fall - because it gives them access to reeds not available in the higher water of spring.

Posted on: 12/5 22:08

From LV
Quote:

rrt wrote:
I think F/idiot said it best. I hope NJangler does not fish to the redds.

I do fish during the spawn if I have killed a wild turkey. I didn't get one till the next to last Saturday this year.

Anyhow, I have not ever seen anyone else write that he has observed this, but I have observed that a significant number of trout, as with people and other animals I guess, including larger trout, do not participate in reproductive activities. I fish one particular streams where I catch wild trout but find nearly no redds -- ever. Somehow these trout replenish themselves, but redds are really rare.

At any rate, if you do fish in the fall during the spawn, please avoid the redds.

Rich and others,
There is very limited space in many streams for spawning activities, in streams like that you will find areas that nearly all the spawning fish do the trout wild thing. It can be anywhere there is the proper size gravel and in some cases ove then one pair of fish use the same location.

Posted on: 12/6 16:59

There were still plenty of brown trout on the redds on Spring Creek near dusk today.

Anyone else have observations on other streams?

Posted on: 12/9 20:30

From PA
Saw a bunch of spawners yesterday on a lesser known wild brown stream. Fished same area last week saw only 1 or 2 pairs. That warm rain Thursday did the trick.

Posted on: 12/9 22:20

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com