Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Something to think about?

From Harrisburg
Dear Board,

Yesterday I was visiting with a couple of buddies. The subject of declining license sales and the underfunded PA Fish Commission came up.

My one buddy said, "I'll tell you what's responsible for both the declining license sales and the lack of money. It's that &^%$ Senior license. They pay $ 50.00 and never have to spend another nickel to go fishing. What's worse, is those are the people that keep most of the fish. When was the last time you saw an old-timer throw one back?"

Realizing we were sort of on the border of the Coal Region and Pocono's I had to agree with him 100 percent. Certainly it's not the only reason for things being the way they are, but it's probably the main reason, at least in the area of the State that we were talking about. There are a lot of older retired people that fish often and keep every single trout they catch, I see it every time I fish there.

What do the rest of you think?

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/4/7 15:22

Re: Something to think about?

I take offense to the previous post I have been fishing for over 60 years. Even as a kid I did C&R. I now have a senior license and still do C&R. A lot of people who belong to my TU chapter are seniors and practice C&R. But if you look we have been buying a license since we were 16 so we have paid our dues.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 15:38

From Greensburg, PA
While I do think they've earned the right to a $50 lifetime license...

Allegheny county PA has the most seniors per capita than any other county in the country except Dade County FL...I also noticed Allegheny county still leads all others in license sales.

License sales by county

Senior population by state

Whats odd about these stats is that they say how much older PA is getting, yet, according to these tables, percentage senior growth among PA residents has only risen .40%. The number has doubled but the percentage change is less than 1%...I must be reading something wrong.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 15:53

The PFBC programs cost money and the costs must be met. Those who participate should be required to pay. Seniors are living longer and are active longer in the past, which is good.

But those who fish should pay the costs. Just like if you go to a movie, you have to pay the price of admission. The assumption of the free license for seniors idea was that seniors have low incomes. But that's often not the case. Seniors who fish should have to buy the license. They could have an income-based exclusion or reduced price plan, but it doesn't make sense to give an angler a free ride just because of their age.

The issue of harvest is another matter altogether, and not related to the license issue. People of all ages harvest fish. If a fishery is being over-harvested, then the regulations need to be changed.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 16:27

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
but it doesn't make sense to give an angler a free ride just because of their age.

So you are in favor of the youth license too, right?

Posted on: 2007/4/7 16:45

From Pa
First of all, I think seniors deserve the lifetime license. Second of all, 90 percent of my customers are seniors who no longer tie, and I can't think of a single one of them that will kill more than a single meal of trout in a season.

Youth license? Excuse me, I'm gonna get sick.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 17:24

From Monessen, PA
I say give them old farts a free fishing license, but they have to surrender their driver's license to qualify. OK, that was wrong, but funny.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 17:27

With all due respect Jack, I don't like being called an old fart. The remarks posted on this site show a lack of respect for seniors and what we have contributed to this country. I don't think you would like it if I refered to you with some of the nasty titles people call lawyers.
Loum

Posted on: 2007/4/7 18:40

From Gettysburg
I just don't know about this one. I can see both sides of the issue - when I'm a senior I'm sure I'd appreciate the lifetime license...esp after buying a yearly one for so long. I do agree that the whole concept of senior discounts has outlived its usefulness considering that folks over 65 hold most of the nation's wealth and aren't likely to be poor anymore like previous generations. I have felt for a long time that our seniors did deserve some breaks and the "greatest generation" really deserves them. Having gotten through the Great Depression and having beaten the Germans and Japanese (so I wouldn't have to), this particular age group can never be re-paid enough for their deeds. However, this generation is now entirely in their late 70s and 80s. Heck, in a few years Baby Boomers will be seniors! I happen to feel that collectively the nation doesn't owe boomers what it owes their parents IMHO. Maybe it's time to scrap senior discounts, including licenses. As for whether senoirs keep more fish: I'm not convinced of this one.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 18:50

From Monessen, PA
Ah, c'mon, Lou, have a sense of humor.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 19:04

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Hey Tim and jack try living on disability, and have to pay for a lisence...ah no grocerys last week to buy a lisence...i think seniors deserveit, but i also think lawers should pay double since 100% of them are crooked....just my 02........

Posted on: 2007/4/7 19:20

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From glenside
Hey Tim,

Since my next birthday I'll be eighty, guess I qualify as one of those "free loading seniors", but, I'm sorry, I can't remember the last time I kept a fish I caught. My Senior license is so beat up, you can hardly read it but I'll proudly wear it as long as I'm able.

Regards,

Jack Steel

Posted on: 2007/4/7 20:31

From Harrisburg
Dear Jack,

How are you doing? I hope everything is going well. Maybe I'll see you at the Jamboree if somebody doesn't shoot me on sight?

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't recall saying anything about Senior citizens being free loaders? I didn't set out to be offensive or insulting and I don't believe that I have been. I merely made some comments based on personal observations made over the last 25 years or so by myself and a couple of my friends about who keeps fish in the Coal Region. I stand steadfastly by those comments.

If I had made comments about brook trout management that ran counter to those made by the Fish Commission I'd be greeted like a hero. Why are some anecdotal remarks given much more credence than others?

If the Fish Commission wants to offer a lifetime license why not do like New York State does and make a lifetime license available at age 4? They can be purchased as gifts for sportsmen of any age over 4 and include all available fishing and hunting licenses even if you move out of State and are no longer a resident. Sure, you are kind of paying your money and taking your chances, but most of us do that on an annual basis already.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/license/lifelic.html

Doing something like that might provide the influx of cash that the Fish Commission needs?

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/4/7 20:51

From York
So now they are blaming the seniors--what a joke. The senior license should stay as is.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 21:00

From Harrisburg
Dear fritz,

Please give me one good reason why other than, because.

While you are at it name one other thing that you pay a modest fee for at age 65, as in less than 2 years worth of the going rate, and get to use until you are dead?

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/4/7 21:15

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com