Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Some of you would be proud of me.

From Butler, Pa
on a 3.7 mile stream how can any body think he has a right to butt in to two guys fishing a hole the size of the paint, on a basketball court. well apparently its because he put a 20 incher in there and wanted to catch it. . .
luckily my friend had lost it earlier after about a 5 minute fight.

some people just dont have common courtesy

Posted on: 2013/3/10 23:14

From Da 'Berg, PA
This may be a dumb question, but did the OP ever stop to think that the kids don't know fly fishing etiquette on the river ? - my Dad will tell you with a laugh that on his first salmon trip that he thought it was like bait fishing and he cast in the same spot. All day. With a break for lunch. He was told it was a good spot and he thought that the fish would come to him.

I also have had anglers come fish right by me - if that happens I reel up and go over and say hi.

More than once I've been told that the guy wanted to watch how I fished or wanted to know what fly to use, or just didn't know where to fish....

We presume a lot sometimes I think. For example to slide in below someone is a cardinal sin on most salmon rivers.

I always ask people if its okay to 'fish near you ', most people don't mind and allows me to ask which way they are fishing.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 0:03

From chester ct
Sociable ffishing distance is relative. Once I was driving in a remote section of Colorado, so remote that a dog could have had his nap in the middle of the road for the whole day. I passed a section where, lo and behold, there was a fly fisherman. This was when ffishing was relatively rare in CO. Because he was a fellow ffisher, I stopped, hopped out and greeted the codger. I told him I wasn't from those parts and asked him how far I could ffish myself without crowding him.

I said the NJ Opening Day standard was enough room to extend your elbows, and the norm on certain Beaverkill pools was a cast away without double hauling.

He took the pipe out of his mouth, squinted at me and said "Sonny, if'n I can't get a good bead on you with a 30.06, then I reckon you'd be far enough."

I drove a few miles further up the stream.

tl
les

Posted on: 2013/3/14 13:06

I guess I was the OP here. The 2 young guys appeared to be experienced. They had lovely looking gear, and the one who jumped in closest to me was a nice flycaster -- much better than I am after 45 years. So, IMO, it was not the not-knowing kind of ignorance they displayed; rather, it was the mannerless kind of ignorance.
I guess as an ignorant old fart in my own way, I like lestrout's old Colorado angler's reply, at least for that type of stream.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:45

From NC PA Mountains
It takes you 10-15 minutes to fish 100yards? What do you do put a streamer on a drag it upstream without stopping? So you catch up to them & skip around them.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:50

There are a number of dead spots in that section that I skip when I fish there. Jumping around and ahead of them would have made me at least as mannerless as they, so I left for a different section of stream.
As I noted before, under more crowded condtions that exist on streams like Kettle Creek, Spring Creek, etc., I realize that giving others fishing distances that are appropriate for smaller less-pounded streams is a problem -- a problem I generally try to avoid by avoiding those waters. You might -- or might not -- be interested to know that when I was in my 30's, 30 years ago, there was a lot of elbow room on Spring Creek, and it was not unusual not to see a fisherman other than the ones in your own party when fishing many sections of the creek. Not the case today.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:57

From Montgomery County
100 yards is nothing on a small or secluded stream. If we're talking a popular or large stream, that's a different story.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 12:50

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
As someone who has made a life long habit of fishing places where I was least likely to see other anglers, even if it meant I was working over fewer or lesser fish, I'm with Rich all the way on this one.

If that means when we return to PA in a year or two, that I won't be fishing Spring Creek or Fishing Creek, etc. etc. any more, that's OK with me. I'd rather give them a miss than feel crowded.

Cuique suum...

Posted on: 2013/3/15 13:01

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Lestrout,

That is great. I love it! I will have to use that line someday.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:02

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
You might -- or might not -- be interested to know that when I was in my 30's, 30 years ago, there was a lot of elbow room on Spring Creek, and it was not unusual not to see a fisherman other than the ones in your own party when fishing many sections of the creek. Not the case today.

I'm sure it's had it's ups and downs over time, and different sections are different. But hard to say Spring Creek is more crowded than it used to be overall. There was a time when you were only allowed to fish this section once per year, and it still was ridiculously crowded!

Attach file:

jpg  paradise.jpg (53.86 KB)
1353_5143813c77ff6.jpg 600X383 px

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:14

Pcray -- I didn't mean the Paradise. Sorry to confuse you.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:57

From Lambertville
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
You might -- or might not -- be interested to know that when I was in my 30's, 30 years ago, there was a lot of elbow room on Spring Creek, and it was not unusual not to see a fisherman other than the ones in your own party when fishing many sections of the creek. Not the case today.

I'm sure it's had it's ups and downs over time, and different sections are different. But hard to say Spring Creek is more crowded than it used to be overall. There was a time when you were only allowed to fish this section once per year, and it still was ridiculously crowded!

See any forum members in that post card?

Posted on: 2013/3/15 17:13

From Monessen, PA
Foergive me for this, but I was going through some of these videos this AM and just had to post this here:

Posted on: 2013/3/18 8:41

Oh, Jack, that's harsh -- but, I forgive you anyway! I guess I needed to have a PBR with me that day.
rich

Posted on: 2013/3/18 9:02

From Monessen, PA
Rich, I share your pain at these events, but I feel you may jump to conclusions about the offending angler. Sometimes they just don't realize what they are doing may disturb another angler.

I never get upset about people fishing that far from me on any water, large or small. I do have problems with people being unkind to the water I hope to fish as I work upstream (typically), by splashing around and ruining the stretch of water.

If an angler works water with minimal impact (something I count on with fishing pals) I am happy to work behind them, though I will on occasion or more often opt to leapfrog them, which they are most certainly welcome to do to me if they are unhappy with how I am disturbing their future beat.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 9:11

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com