Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: soft hackles

From SE PA
One other expert you may want to check out is Davy Wooten. He's got some videos out and uses/ties some of the old English classics.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 22:29

From Bel Air, MD
The Hughes book gives much credit to Nemes and Leisenring, and discusses many of their techniques. It has been about 2 years since I read it, and I WILL read it again. The one thing I found most interesting, which I have not been able to do successfully - yet - is fish soft hackles upstream as you would present dries.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 0:23

From Da 'Berg, PA
I present my soft hackles directly upstream and do a figure of eight retrieve to keep the line tight and keep it moving at the speed of the current, the same as I would for nymphs. That also works for emergers btw.

I'm not sure a dry fly up and across presentation wouldnt give unnatural drag or twist to the fly.

Also bear in mind that these north country streams are pretty narrow - the Dove, Eden or wharfe , are no more than 20ft wide in most parts.

Hatches are also very sparse and slow lazy pools are few and far between, hence wading upstream with a team of spiders cast into seams was the solution.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 10:16

From down the block from the Letort.
soft hackles are fun. Fish 'em all kinds of ways, effective all up and down the water column. More fun than flippin' a nymph rig over and over and over...

Posted on: 2013/7/14 17:55

From SEPA
geebee, that sure looks like a picture of Sandfly. Hey Bob, I didn't know you could play.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 12:44

From Central PA
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
Quote:

mutzinbaugh wrote:
i want to buy a good "how to" soft hackle/wet fly book. what do you guys recommend?

Don't let this guy fool you, he already knows how to fish these flies. I stood next to him in the little "J" and watched him catch trout with them. But seriously Fly Addict and fly imitations from S N are both good and interesting reads, Dave's book is also good. Two centuries of soft- hackled flies ( also Nemes )has patterns from 1747 up to now, I've tied and fished them and they're still catching fish. You've seen them Jearomy, they look good and catch fish.

hey jack, take it easy now. you taught me how to walk and i took my first step. thank you again for that. now i need to learn how to run!

thank you guys for the great recommendations.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 22:33

From SJ
I've read the Neme's _The Soft-Hackled Fly_ and Hughes' _Wet Flies_ and think both are great. Neme's, imo, was a more enjoyable read, Hughes seems to have more information. Definitely get both.

I've been fishing wets a lot and I've caught a lot of trout on them; fishing up and down. You can fish them upstream just as you would any other upstream presentation and they could be sunk or in the surface film.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 6:34

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
147 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com