Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Snakes

From Berryville Virginia
The closet for me was a hit on the boot fishing and not watching. That will send a shock up your spine. I have caught a few rattlesnakes over the years. The last was several years ago my Dad and me were traveling back from Altoona and saved a rattlesnake (yellow phase) and the biggest one I’ve seen in PA from being stoned to dead by a couple of guys. It was funny to watch 2 grown men running around like a couple of scared kids with stones. Luckily they did not hit the snake. It was close to a few houses so we put it in the back of the truck and let it go up on the mountain. They are only trying to survive in this big bad world as I am so I don’t like to see them get killed.

Joe E.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 7:00

If you aren't seeing rattlers, it doesn't mean they aren't there. My most recent sightings:

Lehigh River
Beaverkill
West Branch of the Delaware
Main Stem of the Delaware
Mud Run

3 out of 5 were on paths or along railroad beds. The other two were swimming across the stream. Anywhere you see one, you can guarantee there are more and a den in the general area.

Watch yourselves, especially you guys who hike away from access points. They're out there and they don't always rattle.

You might also want to check out a show from last season's Pennsylvania Outdoor Life. They didn't say where they were (I'm pretty sure I know), but talk about rattlers. They were everywhere -- I'm not talking a dozen or two. I'm talking maybe 100+.

Posted on: 2007/2/15 11:17

From Enola, Pa.
JW

If you ever find out where they were talking about please let me know, I sure as he!! don't want to go there!

Posted on: 2007/2/15 13:24

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

JW1970 wrote:

Watch yourselves, especially you guys who hike away from access points. They're out there and they don't always rattle.

This reminds me of a show I saw onetime. This old kodger is a rattlesnake hunter. He goes to the dens in the area and listens with a funnel and a tube in the dens, if he hears rattles he gets the snakes out and kills them. The narrator indicated that by doing this he is creating a micro population of rattlesnakes that do not rattle. By killing the ones with rattles and not killing the silent types, he is selectively breeding rattle-less rattlesnakes.

He was dismayed that his rattlesnake hunts have been less productive lately but through surveying the dens they found plenty of snakes...just they didn't rattle.

Spooky....

Posted on: 2007/2/15 15:35

From Monessen, PA
And that reminds me of the old saying:

"Female mosquitos are the one's that bite, but the males are the ones that buzzzzzzzz. So if you are out in the woods near dark and hear buzzing, do not worry. But, if you hear nothing......."

Posted on: 2007/2/15 15:41

In the 25 years I have fished PA waters (started when I was 5) I have only had a few encounters with snakes. The areas that I have seen the most snakes are the Yough (esp. around Ohiopyle), and Valley Creek. Strange thing is that I fish Meadow Run all the time and even though it is located at Ohiopyle as well I almost never see any snakes there (probably jinxed myself now). I know Valley Creek back in Chester County has a lot of Copperheads (my friend used to catch them), but I never ran into too many while fishing...they seem to come out more at night.
I grew up fishing Darby and Ithan Creeks in Delaware County and had a few encounters there, but nothing more than being startled. The worst was one Opening Day morning (probably around 1990) my friend and I got to Darby Creek around 4 am to get a spot. We grabbed a spot right above the bridge (I forget the name...maybe Saw Mill - where they have the trout tournament, if they still have it, anywho...) and we sat in the darkness between a bunch of leafless bushes. Well, a couple of hours later, as the sun rose, I looked to my right to see a 4 foot snake hanging in the bush about 2 feet from my head...I almost #OOPS# myself. I have no idea how long it was sitting there. Luckily he was gone by 8 am.

Posted on: 2007/2/16 17:46

From Pa
I h'ain't only ever run into one rattlesnake and that was in the Canyon near the wooden bridge on the Owassee side. Almost sat on the critter.

Attach file:

jpg  rat.jpg (0.00 KB)
448_45d63bfd67643.jpg X px

Posted on: 2007/2/16 18:19

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com