Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Skunked today. Any advice for tomorrow?

River I'm fishing is high, although not terribly off color. Fish were tight lipped. I figured I'd nymph for a bit then switch to streamers. Nothing produced. My normal holes were moving much too quickly. There was even a fairly large sulphur hatch late afternoon. Birds were going nuts, but I didn't see a single rise. I tried dries, pounding the banks with buggers, tandem nymphs, etc.

So I'm here again tomorrow. Levels will be (hopefully) a bit lower, but still high. Fish are clearly spread out from a recent unflux of water. The cold snap may have also changed feeding habits. So the question:

Do I hit deep holes with heavy streamers (I have an 8wt with me)? Do I try to high stick deep holes again? Maybe try new spots? Do I hope a warmer afternoon will bring the fish up? Or do I leave and find some brookie water?

Thanks for any tips.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 21:42

Re: Skunked today. Any advice for tomorrow?

If the river is up, fish deeper, slower, and more thoroughly.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 21:56

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Big stoneflies with a cream caddis nymph trailer. I do know that a tan caddis with a peacock soft hackle dropper were taking fish along the banks. I do not know how it has fished with those flies since the water is up, but they were producing.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 21:57

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Mike wrote:
If the river is up, fish deeper, slower, and more thoroughly.

Good advice. In addition, I'd suggest focusing closer to shore as you mentioned your regular spots are running too deep and fast. Under these conditions, trout (and bass) will often move to the banks and will often feed there. I'd try drifting and swinging a sulpher nymph or generic soft hackle wet fly through bankside eddies or undercut banks. If this doesn't work and no fish can be seen rising, you might switch to a big, heavy, black streamer and work this through the same spots.

If this fails, I'd vote for the brookie water.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 22:01

You are going to earn those fish tomorrow if you catch them after tonight dropping to freezing, coupled with the high flow. Might want to fish the smaller stuff. Fat caddis nymphs over-sized-green,tan- stones, golden(so they can see), streamers gonna have a lot of fish you won't even see whiffin' and hesitating, but that's streamer fishin.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 22:07

Definitely not thrilled about the cold snap. Thinking I'll fish till noon and if I'm still skunked I'll move to brookies. Or at least that's what I'll tell myself--probably end up pounding the same riffles insiting the fish will eventually bite...

Thanks for all the advice. Tied up some different streamers and sulpher nymphs tonight. Fingers crossed for warm sun.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 22:13

From LV
Just fish, the river will drop with no rain in the foreacst.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 22:49

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
It's currently dropping nicely. Tomorrow could be a great day pounding streamers.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 22:57

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the advice guys. Turned it around today (with a little help from some bugs). Making a new thread.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 21:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com