shack nasties

ryanh

ryanh

Ok every winter seems longer than the pervious.

I litterally have dreams about fishing in the nice warm sun.

I was 1/2 way to the stream yesterday when I turned it around because when I got skunked and cold I would just feel more hyper.

It is good for tying though. All winter I could not spend quality time at the bench, but now I am there daily cause every thought seems to hinge on going fishing.

I need help. I thought I was seeing caddis flies yesterday....
The next stop is shooting six holes in my freezer!

I haven't been fishing since that warm stretch in january... it sucks.

you could always try to find something to do to take your mind off it. Last year I got addicted to online poker, and this year, I just come home from work and lift weights or shoot pool. The latter is shaping up to be the better choice, but they're both good for killing time.

My favorite hatch on my favorite stream to fish that hatch isn't til late may or so.... long time to go. ugh

I used most of my winter discovering new beers. I am sure you can tell from my submission to the fly swap.

This weeks favorite http://www.flyingdogales.com

Last weeks favorite 8.5% Alcohol by volume. http://www.victorybeer.com/hop_wallop.html

I am holding a sick day in my back pocket for just the right day.

I passed on fishing Sunday because the weather forecast was for nasty weather getting worse. In the morning, it was cloudy and rainy, so I just put it out of my mind. As the day progressed, I watched the skies clear, the sun shine and the temperatures rising into the mid- to upper 40s, all the while kicking myself for not getting out. I've had enough! I'll take snow on Easter if I must, just give me one or two decent weekends in the meantime.

Going for a long walk outdoors helps with the winter blahs.

Exercise helps too. You can shoot baskets somewhere, or join a gym or YMCA and take exercise classes and work out on the machines.

Or just a change of routine. Going to some restuarant and trying a new kind food. Thai and Vietmanese restuarants usually have reasonable prices and the food is often sensationally good.

Yeah, I'm feeling it too. All my boxes are filled so now I'm tying weird stuff and flies that look good now but that I know I won't actually use. It would be a good time to catch up on fishing related reading, but I'm so antsy that I can't sit still very long. Sigh...
Coughlin

How about combining those long outdoor walks with stream scouting? Scope out streams you haven't been to before to find out what they look like, access points, good looking spots, etc. Don't go there to fish, just to check them out. That way you won't be getting wet and cold and skunked and aggravated. Just a nice walk in the woods that may pay off when it's warm enough to fish.

As wulf-man suggested I went on a scouting mission about two weeks ago and found some easy access on some promising wild trout streams.

This past Saturday morning, I couldn't take it any longer. I went out and wet a line in 20 degree temperatures. My first choice of stream was frozen, but I found a nearby stream that must have a lot of springs because it was basically open. I got skunked, but it was still nice to get out!

Its supposed to be above freezing all week here in Southwest PA, but highs of 30 on the comming weekend.

On a high note, the early stocking for the Loyalhanna and Laurel Hill DHALO areas is scheduled for March 10. Woo Hoo!

I was fishing to a heavy BWO hatch last year on march 1, but that doesn't look likely this year.
But at least there are signs that spring is around the corner - it's staying light until 6:30 now.
And we change the clocks a week from sat - the 11th.
The Penns Woods West Cabin Fever show is sunday - it's a pretty good tonic for the winter blues

There are definitely signs of spring. I'm hearing some birds I didn't hear a couple weeks ago, so I think some are moving north. I'm seeing shoots on the willow trees near the streams turning a brighter yellow, one of the earliest signs of spring. And some of the earliest flowers are pushing up under the snow. I actually saw a flower BLOOM by the porch, pretty small and bedraggled by the snow and ice, but no kidding an actual flower blooming already. And this is in central PA. You guys down in the banana belt in southern PA must be seeing some signs of spring.

Bruno wrote:
I used most of my winter discovering new beers. I am sure you can tell from my submission to the fly swap.

This weeks favorite http://www.flyingdogales.com

Last weeks favorite 8.5% Alcohol by volume. http://www.victorybeer.com/hop_wallop.html

I am holding a sick day in my back pocket for just the right day.

I was just drinking some Golden Monkey and some Hop Devil during the "Blizzard of '07" :lol: We got some as a promo at my hotel and I ended up snowed in. Seemed like a no brainer to me! :-D Although I'm a a diehard Yuengling man, I've been seeking alternatives. The Lager from St. Clair doesn't taste the same as the Pottsville stuff and it's getting harder to find the real deal. Another nice product from Victory is the V12. Not sure if they still make it but it was quite yummy. Ya gotta love beer with a cork in it! :-o I'll hafta keep my eyes open for the flying dog. It looks interesting, but I tend to avoid beer from Colorado and Missouri, as AB and CBC tend to parent out micros and pretend that they are small breweries or even imports. Blue Moon and Killian's come to mind, but there are others. Keep beer local!

Boyer

troutbert wrote:
There are definitely signs of spring. I'm hearing some birds I didn't hear a couple weeks ago, so I think some are moving north. I'm seeing shoots on the willow trees near the streams turning a brighter yellow, one of the earliest signs of spring. And some of the earliest flowers are pushing up under the snow. I actually saw a flower BLOOM by the porch, pretty small and bedraggled by the snow and ice, but no kidding an actual flower blooming already. And this is in central PA. You guys down in the banana belt in southern PA must be seeing some signs of spring.

It was actually too good early in the year this year. A lot of my flowers sprouted in January. I wouldn't bet a whole lot on them now. :-(

Boyer

Back