Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: SEPA Guys, Who Can Guess This?
From Gettysburg
Browns like this are really not that uncommon and can live in small streams just about anywhere......especially when they are artificially fed by landowners. I'm not saying that that is obviously the case with respect to these photos......merely that it may provide a plausible explanation.

I know of a small, rather poor quality stream near me that does not normally have anything other than palid stockies, but there's a short section that is posted and the landowner has put some jack dams and such in the stream that has increased the depth a bit....and he artificially feeds the fish. At one time, I know there were multiple very large browns (I personally caught some of them) that looked like these: big fish that look wild. Some of the fish were probably in the 5-10 year old range. They - almost certainly - would not have been there and would not have grown to such large size if it had not been for the regular feedings.

Regardless of the explanation, these are some nice trout anywhere in the state but if one does some prospecting (fishing at night really helps).....you might be surprised to see where some big browns hang out even without artificial feeding.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 13:58

From NC PA Mountains
After looking at the 2nd photo maybe I'm wrong...the digital thing puts doubt in your mind. Good old film doesn't put any doubt in it Still the 1st photo doesn't look just right.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 14:09

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Good internet sleuthing by Team PAFF here. Given the context clues about the location, and that second pic, I could make a pretty good guess I think…at least to the watershed…but I’m not 100% sure so I don’t want to inflame anything and name a pretty good stream if I’m wrong. If it’s where I think it is, it’s not that secret though.

Mute – I’ll PM you my guess. If that’s in line with what you guys think, let me know. If you’re somewhere totally else, don’t tell me where.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 14:30

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I know that stream. Those are stocked fish.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 15:39

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Both of those browns are 100% stocked fish.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 16:09

From NE OH
My initial thought about both fish is that they are holdovers that have taken on some wild characteristics (blue spot and some red to the adipose fins). The 2nd fish may be the giveaway. That fish has a huge head and thinning body. His spot pattern certainly looks like that of a stocker. Both of their fins are in good shape, so they may have been in the creek for some time. Of course, that's all speculation because I know nothing of the stream or whether it could even support holdovers.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 18:22

From Bucks County or Bridgeville
I didn't know the stream until the second picture. Those fish are with a doubt fed by the trash that live there. This stream changed names on the maps if that helps narrowing it down.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 18:39

It might be Cook's Creek. Mostly all posted where the limestone springs come in, but I got to fish it when it had some great little black stones. Caught a 4 pound brown about 1 1/2 mile above the Delaware. Don Douple told me that some of the people fed the trout dog food so they got huge. Of course, the open water was darn near devoid of big trout. I made casual friends with a person down there so that granted me some access. A nice lady who was just glad to see everyone wasn't a greedy bastard. I wasn't going to litter or kill the fish, just catch em and put em back and very thankful for the opportunity. But most people wouldn't give a s#!t how careful you are.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 20:48

From Eastern PA
Quote:

BigBronco wrote:
I didn't know the stream until the second picture. Those fish are with a doubt fed by the trash that live there. This stream changed names on the maps if that helps narrowing it down.

Lol. But how do you really feel?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 21:45

This is not Cooks Ck, but I do not know which stream it really is. Given the geology, there are strong limitations as to where this could be in the portion of SE pa described. Therefore, by process of elimination, I am taking a guess that it might be Ridge Valley Ck. Admittedly, something does not look quite right to me in the photo for it to be Ridge Valley, but then again I have seen very little of that stream. Perhaps someone here is more familiar with Ridge Valley than I am and could tell me whether my guess is the least bit feasible.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 3:55

From Bucks County or Bridgeville
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

BigBronco wrote:

Lol. But how do you really feel?

Have you seen the junk they have laying around, or if memory serves me correct their "security cameras"? If it makes anyone feel better this IS listed Class A water.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:42

From barto PA
I fish this stream and no doubt in my mind it holds beasts like that. There is a large damn just upstream from your pic location so I don't think they get much further up than that. I know some of the water downstream for the next mile or so gets 6+ ft. deep though and is heavily shaded and boulder chocked.

I was posting some smaller brown pics to friends on another site and quickly recieved two pics of other friends with brown of the size in the first pic. They were caught well downstream.

It's north of pottstown on rt 100.

for what it's worth I think those locals moved the trailer and are actually sort of making an attempt to clean up that location in your pic.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 11:18

From barto PA
Click to see original Image in a new window

Here's a little one I got well downstream from the OP pic.

Not a whole lot of folks fish this creek. I'm not even sure it's stocked anymore, at least not at this location.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 12:11

From Emmaus
PASKIING's fish is what should be expected on this stream. The area in question is posted and likely artificially fed. The stream is not stocked by the state.

Attach file:

jpg  camper.jpg (47.46 KB)
4694_518bd0f06b584.jpg 504X278 px

Posted on: 2013/5/9 12:37

From barto PA
There are some very very deep sections between their pics and mine though. I was wading it around dusk the other day and working a bend followed by a very deep long pool and witnessed some amazingly large strikes on the surface. I don't doubt there are some monsters in there, especially from my friends pics. Maybe I'll ask em if they mind if I repost here without giving up any location. My pic already has a notable structure in it anyway but ya kinda have to be a local to drive over that anyway.

My friends worry about it becoming known but I've never been one to hide a honeyhole. Besides I see maybe one fisherman on this mile long section of the creek per week if that. It seems more popular in the winter as funny as that seems.

I'm surprised OP's buddy isn't catching cars on that section as there seems to be an accident on that turn every other weekend.

I'm gonna be hitting it more in the next couple weeks, tonight included, so maybe I'll put up anything worth taking a picture of.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 12:52

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com