Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Sehr Gut Fliegencasting

From Pgh
Translation: Very Good Fly Casting

I was coming off the Yough yesterday when I noticed a truck parked along the road that had a sign on it, www.mauri-flyfishing.com. A gentleman was just closing the door and greeted me. We exchanged brief pleasantries, I noticed his German accent, and told him fishing was OK with a few caddis in the air and we wished each other a good day.

Out of curiosity when I got home, I got on the website and was surprised to learn that he was international casting instructor, Michael Mauri, and lives only a few minutes from the Yough. He fishes instructs internationally, but I find it interesting that of all the areas in the state he chose to live in, SW is the one with the worst trout fishing. Anyway here's a cool demonstration of the man's casting abilities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0fES1sfBRE

Posted on: 2013/6/10 15:47

Re: Sehr Gut Fliegencasting

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

greenghost wrote:
I find it interesting that of all the areas in the state he chose to live in, SW is the one with the worst trout fishing.

Yeah, but that's one of the two places where the people are in this state. Central PA might have the fish but it can be tough to convince folks that they need to drive 2+ hours to learn how to fly fish. SWPA might not be the best place to find trout, but it's probably a decent place to find new business.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 17:09

From Pgh
[quote]
PennKev wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but that's one of the two places where the people are in this state. Central PA might have the fish but it can be tough to convince folks that they need to drive 2+ hours to learn how to fly fish. SWPA might not be the best place to find trout, but it's probably a decent place to find new business.

I see your point, but if you look at his website, he seems to be focused on positioning himself as an international instructor and guide, hosting trips to Labrador and South Carolina with classes all over the country but focused on the east coast, including Lancaster, State College, NJ, MA, VT. In fact, the only local class is one of the few that's not FULL yet. So he's not so much a local draw. Just a bit odd location I thought. But who knows, maybe there's personal reason. Ha! Maybe he likes the impossible challenge of consistently catching trout on the Yough!

Posted on: 2013/6/10 17:25

From Collegeville, PA
Maybe he is married, and the decision to live in SW PA has more to do with his wife than him?

Posted on: 2013/6/10 18:20

From Bel Air, MD
the link is actually http://www.mauri-flyfishing.us/

Posted on: 2013/6/10 19:35

From Pittsburgh
I'm not real surprised that someone would base themselves in that area.
Fishing on the yough river is just getting better and better from what i've experienced down there lately. There aren't very many other large streams in the state where you can find trout rising to insects in 50 degree water all summer long - no matter how hot it is.
Throw in the great brookie fishing in the surrounding laurel highlands, and it's a pretty good spot to be IMO.

I have a retired friend who lives right along the little juniata river from april until through october. And even though it is one great trout stream for sure, the fishing does get slow on it during the heat of summer. And I was telling him that I'm better off fishing the yough river at that time of year. And he agreed with me.

I really don't think we have it too bad here in SW PA

Posted on: 2013/6/11 11:14

From Pgh
Shhhhhh... aw dryflyguy, you blew the cover.

Point well taken. Things are improving these days. I'm old school and forget that sometimes....

But aside from the Yough and tiny brookie streams there is my favorite... smallie fishing in all those "trout streams"! Including the lower Yough which can be awesome.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 11:20

From Dauphin PA
I'll guess he moved there for iron city beer and to root for the stillers. Due to being robbed in Philly Sunday, I can now say that Pittsburgh has moved from my least favorite city in PA to my second least favorite city in PA. As soon as I develop a meth habit, it probably will jump into the top 3.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 11:38

From Pgh
Sorry to hear you were robbed, krayfish. That sucks big time. Obviously, you weren't injured, that's good. A friend of mine in NYC had his tendons sliced in his hand when he foolishly tried fight back against a robber with a blade. He may lose partial movement in his right hand because of it. It happens everywhere anymore.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 17:02

From Dauphin PA
Kept searching craigslist because I felt he'd try to unload the bike asap. Found the ad on Saturday afternoon and began texting from my buddy's phone. Made up elaborate story, coordination with 39th district precinct. Met them Sunday at 3:30 and sting went into action. In less than 15 minutes, cycle recovered and 2 in custody. I didn't get home until 11:30 pm due to paperwork. They tricked me but I pulled an even bigger trick on them.

The undercover officer that took him down was 5'7" and 185 lbs of ripped muscle. Dude had 18" guns and begged to get the collar. He was praying that the guy put up a struggle but he didn't. The second guy tried to run and got caught. They never let me do a visual I'D and I'm assuming that's because they hadto massage his skull with batons. Pretty awesome experience and the guys there were great. If I get robbed again, I hope it's there. LMAO

Posted on: 2013/6/17 13:27

He bought a place close to LHC

while there may be some fishing in the area
don't think that is his client pool

Posted on: 2013/6/17 13:47

From Whitehall, PA
Krayfish, were you riding the road or an off-road trail my wife and I should plan to avoid?

Posted on: 2013/6/17 15:36

From Dauphin PA
Meeting set to sell the bike in home depot lot. 8 am on a Sunday morning. Yeah, I know. Too trustworthy and got jacked.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 20:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com