seen anything strange, wierd, or creepy while flyfishing in pa

redrockgrizzly

redrockgrizzly

i seen a topic like this on another website and it got me thinking, what are some of the "off the wall" things i have seen while flyfishing. any of you ever seen anything strange, wierd, creepy or even "X-rated";-) while flyfishing in pa.
the one comes to mind was when i was up on fishing creek near lamar, i was up on the upper end near the hatchery. i was standing in the creek fishing the sulphers. i could hear this loud, hard rock music coming from up the road. i could hear the bass clearly. it was getting closer but not at a fast like a car would. then i heard the clunking of horse feet on the hard top. then i saw this amish buggy coming down the road jamming to some hard rock music. i just stood there and watched it gone by. one of the strangest things i had ever seen. i didnt know the amish "pimped out" their buggies like that. talk about strange.
up at penns creek, i get a little creeped out walking back to the truck at night, too many bears and rattlesnakes up there. and i hate going through that tunnel too at night.

Two things come to mind one strange and one x-rated , both incidents happened on Clarks creek in Dauphin county. The strange one was , while fishing there in early to mid spring , I hear a helicopter approaching from over the mountain from the direction of Fort Indiantown Gap military base. The sound of helicopters is not unusual in the area but this one was coming in low and seemed to be coming directly at me. When it got about 100 yards away , I could see it coming in at tree level , the prop wash was blowing the treetops around and it WAS coming right at me. I stood there frozen as it passed over top and could feel the prop wash and see it on the water , it went 50 yards behind me , in the strip of woods along Clarks between the road and the stream. It hovered there and then slowly started to descend , when it got about 30 ft from the ground a bundle was shoved out the door , the door then closed and it took off fast back up over the mountain. I just had to stop fishing and walk up there to see what it was , all kinds of things were going through my mind , maybe it was a big pile of weed heh or a body or ???? WEEEELLLL it was a deer and there was a pit up there full of what i guess was road killed deer , the pit was fenced off and there were bear tracks in the mud. This whole area is part of State Forest , State Game Lands , Military Property (the Gap) and the Appalachian Trail runs through here. I still have to wonder how that deer met its end???? Target Practice???? The X-rated one was while walking up the path , i came upon a blanket , that obviously had two or more people under it engaged in some kind of amusing activity cause there was alot of giggles and laughing and movement going on underneath it. I kept on walking and they kept doing whatever they were doing and they never knew i went by. About an hour later about 1/3 of a mile upstream an old guy , probably in his 70's and two large young girls , maybe 18 maybe not , one of them carrying the blanket that i'd seen downstream , came walking up by me and the fellow asked if I "got any"? I lied and said "yeah , i got 2"

Had a military aircraft fly overhead when on Penns. I heard the sound from a distance thinking it was a fast moving freight train, then as it grew louder I realized all the RRs in the area are gone. Just as it got to sounding like the mountains were falling down, I saw the huge plane (looked like a small transport type) what seemed like no more than 200 feet overhead. I stood braced for the coming crash into the mountains, but heard nothing but the slowly fading rumble of a jet engine. Fish started rising very soon and I forgot about it until now.

I definitely stumbled across someones grow operation while taking a **** off of Tunkhannock creek by exit 206 on I-81.

In PA? No. Got propositioned by swingers in a Jersey salt marsh, though. That should count for something.

Always afraid I'm going to stumble on a body while fishing, its a bizarre and real fear. Haven't, yet, though. There is a bridge with a length of old rope hanging from the bottom that creeps me out every time I see it, through. Water doesn't seem deep enough for kids to want to swing into, and its just kinda hanging there, old and roughly torn off. Sinister, but likely innocent.

The swingers, though? Not innocent.

Peacock. A buddy thought it was a turkey. (Loyalsock State Forest)

Not creepy, but saw a morrel mushroom the size of my forearm once. Didn't have anything to carry it home in though.

I once bumped into a (what I believe to be) rabid racoon. It wouldn't cross the stream to flee from me, nor was it that affraid. I continued fishing then jumped over to another branch of a the stream and on my way back to my vehicle there it was about 50 feet from my car. Definately the same racoon.

hmm, skinny dippers once. Fisherman rolling head over heels in some rapids once (I helped him to shore at the next riffle down). I've caught 2 fish with one cast multiple times.

In one weekend, I had a trifecta where wildlife did not like me. Got attacked by a goose (pecking my knees and all). Got bit by a snake (seems normal but is actually rather unusual). And was held in the water by a possibly rabid raccoon. He stayed on the shoreline but followed me up and downstream looking and growling. I eventually found a place where I could cross to the other side, but he continued to mirror me, and I ended up throwin rocks at it to get it to leave long enough to cross and get to my car.

As for more common things, it is always creepy to me when the bats start swooping low near the head. Thats when its time to quit for the evening!

I've seen dead bodies, sex acts, ufo's, and a fawn stuck out in the middle of the delaware river desparately trying to stay above water (bambi made it out alive). I've seen a mouse swim out of boat that was 50+ yards offshore. He made it to shore in partially frozen water without being eaten and was totally exhausted and near death. We warmed him in a glove and about 15 minutes later he was revived and took off into the woods and was then eaten by a hawk (ok, the last part I made up). I saw what I thought may have been a Golden Eagle on the Lehigh River.

From now on I am fishing with CLSports for the win! Out of curiosity, did you have a "special" Jimi Hendrix headband on when you saw the UFO?

Jdaddy,

I may have not been completely coherent at the time of the UFO sighting, but I was not the only witness. We still have no idea what we saw that night. I guess we should have not eaten those mushrooms!

CLSports wrote:
I've seen dead bodies

Seriously?

So...its possible?

Oh. Hell.

I once saw a baby rabbit swimming back and forth across the Tully; like he was practicing for the Olympics or something. I didn't know rabbits could swim until then.

I have seen a sex act taking place along the banks of the Little Lehigh down towards center city. I have seen the awesomeness of an Osprey crash into the Lehigh after a fish, 3 times in 10 minutes. First time I thought someone dropped a boulder in the water, only to see the osprey flap out. I have seen at the time what I thought was somebody's bagged lunch float by me. Only to find out 20 minutes later that it was a lady's "dry bag" that had all of her money, over 300 dollars, all of her credit cards and her keys to her car in it. that must have sucked for them because they were from New York. I have seen a Russian spear fishing the Delaware drunk. Then when he shot a sucker take it back to his camp and eat it. Last, I saw my friend get attacked by a goose protecting her nest. that was probably the funniest. See a grown man scream like a little girl as the goose chased him up and down the creek. I cried laughing at that.

I think I could kick a gooses CDC if I really tried.

I have seen most of the items listed above. The only unique experience I have is the time I came walking along the stream to find a swimsuit model doing a photo shoot.

Last, I saw my friend get attacked by a goose protecting her nest. that was probably the funniest.

It's not funny at all. Not one bit.

I think I could kick a gooses CDC if I really tried.

Took me a moment to process what was happening and compose myself, but yeah, the confrontation ended when the goose met my wading boot.

O I just remembered another good one. Friend and I were fishing the Lehigh and my friend thought he hooked a dead log and was dragging it in, only to find out that it was a dead deer. That scared the #OOPS# out of him. lol

I was fishing the yough a few years, when a helicopter flew upstream at a very low altitude. It was so low, that I could feel the downward air surge as it passed over me. It then stopped a few hundred yards upstream of me, and dumped some kind of fluid in the river. Then continued upstream.
There is a military air base in the area, and I'm guessing that it was some kind of training maneuver.

Just this past summer, I finally got the nerve to stop in the Halton Hilton while fishing the clarion river. One strange experience!

On Pine I saw an X rated moment. A canoe pulled over to the side and a young man and woman high up the hillside next to a tree. They gave the rafts that were following us a good show.

The helicopter story reminded me of a time when I was on the Susky and this Huey comes flying in real low, passes over me spraying this stuff. At the time I knew it was the black fly spray, but still weirded me out.

Blue Marsh - I was bank fishing in my youth and saw this bass boat hauling butt through the no wake zone. The guy tries a hard turn and the boat bites hard into the water and he goes flying overboard. He then gets back in his boat and motors off.

Quote: CLSports wrote: I've seen dead bodies Seriously? So...its possible? Oh. Hell.

While I'm fortunate enough to not have found a body, a guy I knew was an officer and relayed a story to our group of fisherman about a shoe with a foot still in it being found on an island in the Susky. Don't know which I would prefer to find, the whole or the part.

1stfly wrote:
While I'm fortunate enough to not have found a body, a guy I knew was an officer and relayed a story to our group of fisherman about a shoe with a foot still in it being found on an island in the Susky. Don't know which I would prefer to find, the whole or the part.

I think the correct answer is neither.

Back