Salmon River

• Thread starter PrincipalSkinner
  • Start date
P

PrincipalSkinner

Crazy as it sounds, my brother and I heading up to the SR for in 2 weeks. Hopefuly thing will settle down.

He's been there once for salmon and once earlier this year for steelies. We are actually fishing half day Friday then going with a drift boat all day Sat.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips for the trip?

Tie tennis racquets to your feet :p

I've actually never been there this late in the year. I go once or twice each fall for the kings and cohos... i plan on doing chrome and browns next year.

All I can suggest is: have fun, be safe, and let us know how you do... I'm curious.

Besides the obvious – DRESS WARMLY! – Check with Whitakers before your trip for conditions (flow and weather) and what patterns are working to tie or buy. Stop in the shop when you get there for info. It sounds like you have a guide. He should know what’s happening on Saturday. I’ve been there during bad winter weather and had some good days fishing. Good luck.

http://whitakers.com/

Thanks for the tips.

I hope to have some pictures to share.

Map quest says that its only 6.5 to 7 hours from my house....
This may be a good venue for a PAFF semiorganized trip. I'll bag a few days of work to chase some big fish!!!

well, if mapquest says 6.5 to 7 ...you can do it in 5 or 6.

Used to go up there in mid March back in the day. Froze my butt off on many occasions! Just a friendly bit of advice - if you see a calm stretch of water that appears to be moving downstream, GET OUT OF THE WAY. We frequently would see huge sheets of ice that would break loose and drift downstream. Not a good thing. If you see that going on, stay close to shore and keep one eye pealed upstream. :-o

I was thinking with the aid of some NASA diapers I could do it in 4.5 :lol:

Plenty of warm clothes, carry an extra set with you, and something hot to drink. Last time I was there the temperature didn't get above zero and the wind was howling off the lake, we had to stay in protected areas to keep the wind off us as well as the blowing snow. We caught fish, but we were using 6X tippet and long leaders. We caught steelies on a bunch of flies from # 20 brassies to big wolly buggers. Steelies there get leader shy so that's why we were using the light stuff. You will find both fresh fish and fish that have been in the river and have a lot of color.

principalskinner,
the first thing you should do is bring a lighter and light you pants on fire b/c you're going to freeze your azz off! good luck! i hear your brother is a btter fisherman than you anyways, ask him for advice.

jeff

In case anyone cares, GovtMule is my brother and yes he is better than me.

you may need pair of snow shoes to wear with your waders.
crb

You might not be able to get to the river, from all the snow up there and might be to frozen.....Good luck if you go...the creeks here are solid...

Back