Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Safety first

From Lancaster
Well, the time of year has finally arrived where we all hope to spend many hours fishing our normal beats and exploring new water. We can't leave our guard down to the fact that sustaining some kind of injury while flyfishing is very real. Thinking about safety and not taking undue risks is the place to start. If you don't own a wading staff.... get one or make one. I have seen some real creative ones over the years. Finding another route to avoid that muddy steep bank or rocksnot covered ledgerock may be the ticket to avoiding that season ending injury. As some of us get older it doesn't take much to blow out a knee or rotator cuff or screw up your back. I am four years post back surgery and find myself trying to avoid any intentional risky moves while fishing. Even you young guys who have no trouble bouncing back up, now is the time to start thinking about your personal safety while on the stream. Never lose your focus on safety, regardless of how many fish are rising in that pool at the bottom of the rock cliff. I hope everyone has a very enjoyable and safe flyfishing season. I hope to run into some of you on the stream this year.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 8:34

Re: Safety first
From Gettysburg
No doubt.

It's especially easy to make a stupid mistake this time of year when the fish are rising and bugs hatching......but water is still high and cold. I've been lucky never to have sustained a serious injury while fishing, but as I've aged I am much more thankful for wading staffs and cleated soles.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 8:40

From Monessen, PA
Good thoughts. I started being safety conscious after watching some "true story" hunting show about some guy crossing a shallow brook and jamming his leg to the extent of dislocating his hip joint. The bizarre result was a punctured kidney or some other internal organ. He drug himself to dry land, but as it was cold, began not only to suffer from his internal injuries, but hypothermia as well. In any case, I thought how in an instant any angler might find himself in this kind of position.

I don't carry a wading staff, but often fashion one from streamside deadfalls if attempting a difficult crossing.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 9:00

From Ohio
Quote:
I don't carry a wading staff, but often fashion one from streamside deadfalls if attempting a difficult crossing.

good tip Jack. I do the same thing.

I fish alone most of the time. After a few incidents with cold weather swims and minor knee injuries I take personal safety very seriously while out fishing, especially when I'm out alone.

Whenever I head out to an isolated palce (urban or rural) I do a few things to stay safe and reduce the chance of injury. I make sure people know where I am going be and when to expect me home. I carry the basics (small first aid kit, water, cellphone, rain gear and some trail mix). I take the easiest route to the water and wade with care. Durring the winter I also keep a bag with a towel and a complete change of warm clothes in the car.

Posted on: 2013/4/13 10:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com