Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Regulations (warmwater and trout) too complicated for newbies?

From SE Pa
I never actually "started" fishing since it has been something I have always,for as long as I can remember, done. I can't say if it prevents new people from fishing but I found the regulations to be way overly complicated and regulated to point where I gave up trout fishing over a decade ago. These regulations were engineered and driven by the fly fishing crowd which I believe was ultimatley the right thing to do. I found it easier to stop fishing for trout then to read regulations side by side with state road maps. But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After years of not trout fishing I have finally started fly fishing. If you can't beat them join them. So in a sense the regulations were one reason I started fly fishing.

As for not being able to identify fish one must stop and take a look back at your own fishing development. Again, I was raised fishing so I learned the different types of fish from a very young age to the present. If I just started fishing last week then my knowledge base would be comprised of what I caught in the last week of fishing. Friendly conversation with a new fishermen rather then acting and treating them like sub-anglers will go along way in their angling development. Open and flagrant violations of the prevailing laws is another matter.

Posted on: 12/16 19:14

From LV
No never, but the regulations could still be madeeasier to understand. For intance the one question that comes up every Labor Day is; Can you fish non-ATW after Labor Day? The answer is pretty gray, because generally you can usually find a couple of different answers on the PFBC web site, I have no idea what the book tells us because I haven't had a book in years.
I would suggest 4 regulations, ATW, DH, C&R ALO, C&R FFO. the first one being on all stocked streams, the last 3 being used on wild streams. Pretty simple. The put a statement in saying it is lawful to fish any wild stream year round under the regulations for that stream.

Posted on: 12/16 20:44

From State College
I don't think that overly complicate regulations has been a deterrent for newbies

Posted on: 12/16 20:46

The closed season on any water not stocked or specially regulated is the only one that befuddled me but even after getting correspondence from PFBC personnel like AFM's, I'm still not sure. As I see it, it comes down to purpose and intent. You are by law NOT suppose to purposely target wild trout during the close season but if you do catch them, all have to be released. IOW, you can fish any trout stream you want but your not suppose to be fishing for trout. Its a strange rule that really should be eliminated or written with better clarification.

Posted on: 12/28 10:40

From Monessen, PA
The reason is that PA has historically defined "season" as "harvest season." Never was targeting species out of season an issue if harvest weren't at issue.

Posted on: 12/28 12:17

For what it's worth:

The PA hunting regs booklet is 96 pages long.

The PA fishing regs booklet is 48 pages long.

Both are the same page size.

Posted on: 12/29 18:02

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com